Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 15 September 2017, 20:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHANGELRANGER View Post
... of my Ranger Classes.

6-87, 7-87, 8-87, 9-87, 10-87, 11-87.

You earned the right to say that!

Should have buddied up with me in 7-87. I would have carried your ass.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 16 September 2017, 10:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
the PR deployment (yeah, the one with the chick newswoman yeah, I can't remember her name either, no shit),.
Cathy COOPER

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 16 September 2017, 10:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Manges View Post
Cathy COOPER
Jesus...how in the Hell could you remember that, damn.
Old 16 September 2017, 23:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
How could you all forget James T "E&E" Scott, he was after Taylor
That's rang a bell. Was trying to recall him but was confusing him with Leonard B. Scott (?) He wrote the book Charlie Mike in the 80's and then Cmdr of what was 4th RTB.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 September 2017, 07:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
How could you all forget James T "E&E" Scott, he was after Taylor
We called him the "High Jumper" Scott, it was funny as fuck watching him try to do that..........in hindsight, it was funny watching half the Battalion try do that shitty exercise, but at least they weren't center stage on a platform
Old 17 September 2017, 09:18
Been There Done That

Jesus, I still don't remember him...no shit.
Old 17 September 2017, 11:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That's rang a bell. Was trying to recall him but was confusing him with Leonard B. Scott (?) He wrote the book Charlie Mike in the 80's and then Cmdr of what was 4th RTB.
I still have that book. Scott "Hollywooded" his cool-guy patches by using thick dark thread on the borders.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 17 September 2017, 21:30
Been There Done That

He was LTC Scott in charge of Jump School when I went through. Gave a big well-rehearsed and delivered hooah speech to the class. Had a DJ's voice and vocal delivery.

"... and our only radio response was Charlie Mike..."
Old 17 September 2017, 22:18
BTDT

He was still the CO of jump school when I went through. I remember him giving that speech after the class watched a big Airborne demonstration. I remember that voice yelling "Ya gotta love it crazies!"
Old 18 September 2017, 00:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post

I did always find it interesting how things that originated in the Regiment spread throughout the rest of the Army.....The term "Hooah" that in my day was never heard outside of the Regiment spread throughout the Army until it became the joke it is today.

Hooah has a long and storied history prior to our Batts, Sharkman. I remember the first time I heard it outside of Batt--it was Scott Glenn in a movie I no longer recall; he played a dude who happened to be a VN vet, a reporter or gov guy or some shit. Talking to another vet in a bar and said, "Hooah." Actually freaked me out and I did a deep dive on the history of the term.

You're correct, back in the day, we were the only unit that said it; we were the unit with a coin (not sure what other units had them back then, but my fuckin' garbageman has one now,) a creed, a black beret and Hooah! But, it predates the modern Batts, at least to WWII.

"Heard, Understood, Acknowledged." HUA. Hooah! (This history actually makes me nostalgic for it.)

And I sure remember the nuance we could give the term... "Hooah, Sir..." in a gay boy accent... etc, etc, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 18 September 2017, 10:53
Assholier than thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
You earned the right to say that!

Should have buddied up with me in 7-87. I would have carried your ass.
Wasn't a lot of ass left by then. Over time it got easier and easier to carry me. Not now, though... that's for damn sure!

I also went through jump school and part of Ranger School under the command of LTC Leonard B. Scott. Quite the character.

"We were not sheep, for we knew the reality of violence; We were not wolves, for we respected humanity; We were not sheep dogs, for we “hunted” our adversaries. We were, in fact, lions; and in the land of the jackal… the lion fears no predator."
Old 18 September 2017, 13:42
Been There Done That

Things have roots and antecedents. It's important to do those deep dives and capture those origins.

For instance, certain Vietnam Era Ranger units adopted black berets during that war. Possibly because certain Korean War Era Ranger companies had done the same. Because WWII vets had worn them in 1940s & 1950s Europe. Flash forward to the 70's and we saw black berets authorized for the two newly formed battalions.

But when CoS Army GEN Eric Shinseki passed them out wholesale to the entire force back around 2001, a lot of people failed to realize that he came from a prior Armored Cavalry background. A unit background where black Cav berets were worn before 1/75 & 2/75 were ever stood up.

Same with coins. Prior to 75th battalions unfurling their colors, coins were a mostly Army SF phenomena. But many of the original cadre leaders who filled 1st & 2nd Batt ranks during the 70's were themselves SF guys doing their "conventional" troop leading/command time. They brought that SF unit challenge coin culture into the newly formed battalions.

I can't recall seeing a unit challenge coin outside of the two Ranger Batts or SF back in the late 70's. Certainly not over in 9th ID at Ft. Lewis. And nobody did personal coins. Unit only.

As leaders from the Batts spread out to future Big Army assignments (as originally intended), they spread the use of "Ranger" coins, creeds, high & tights, high standards, and a gamut of other rub-off Regimental culture.

Like the universal Army adoption of "Hooah!" Nobody said Hooah! outside of 1st & 2nd Ranger Batts back in 1977. We referred to ourselves as Hooah Batts and might describe individual Rangers as Hooahs. As in: "Winds at altitude blew little Hooahs all over the DZ..."

That term eventually took root everywhere else in the Army. Because the Rangers used it.

None of the little cultural stuff (coins, creed, Hooah, berets, starch & spitshines in garrison, etc.) was entirely original, but during the transitional 1970's (Draft to Voluntary Professional Force) and the big muscle building combat power era of the Cold War 1980's... the 75th served as a vaccination for good antibodies delivered to the rest of the Army.

They were what Right Looked Like... and everyone knew it. Other formations emulated things that looked like Ranger success stories. Even our NATO Allies.

I saw the 70's German Bundeswehr eventually go from a pacifistic, unionized, bag of long haired malcontents to a more militant and professional 90's organization where young German Officers & NCOs began wearing Ranger high & tight haircuts and chanting Hooah. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

Success is contagious. Hooah baby.
Old 22 September 2017, 00:23
Been There Done That

Well done, Astro-man. Thank you.

Our new posting rules