SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 20 December 2017, 06:24
Confirmed User

Elavil, anyone ever been prescribed it?

Just curious if this is used mostly as a antidepressent or sleeping aid, and what you may have seen if anyone ever used it.
Old 20 December 2017, 07:01
Authorized Personnel

Several years back, I was on the Oncology ward in Bay Pines VA Hospital for 30 days. My blood was being tested for too many red cells. Everyone, at the bedtime issuing of meds was given an Elavil. Zombie time, my mind got way too fuzzy and I tossed them. I asked why they were given to all and it seems that it's a lot easier for the staff to sedate everybody at night. That situation was the VA, I'm sure/hope that there are other/better examples.
Old 20 December 2017, 07:04
Swimming Upstream

Funny you should ask, I was just prescribed it yesterday at the VA for a Migraine preventative. I haven't taken any yet though.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 20 December 2017, 07:12
Confirmed User

Interesting ... hmmm
Old 20 December 2017, 09:09
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Just curious if this is used mostly as a antidepressent or sleeping aid, and what you may have seen if anyone ever used it.
My GP have a good relationship having served together. He also did a tour or two as RMO of SASR so when I go to grumbling about dreams of Afghanistan, he smiles and nods.

He prescribed it to me as a sleep aid. His words were "It won't stop you dreaming, but the dreams will be nice instead of what you have now".

It has the happy side effect of helping with my pain management in that it works well enough (on me) as a muscle relaxant.

My dreams are markedly different on the nights I take it compared to my nights off it. I have come to appreciate its effects but I do not take it every night.

The hangover is not so much painful as simply a head full of cotton gauze and feeling like someone tried to stuff it in through my mouth as well as my ears.

What are you hoping to achieve with it?

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited by Old_Starlight; 20 December 2017 at 09:09. Reason: bloody typos
Old 20 December 2017, 12:55
Been There Done That

Elavil:
Number of uses.
Low grade anti-depressant / migraine prophy / chronic pain

Breaking it down to 18B terms -> it changes the shape (i.e. chemistry) of pain receptors in the brain from squares to rectangles. Makes it "more difficult, though not impossible, for pain squares to fit into the open rectangle holes"

Once the brain is so used to feeling a certain way and having squares floating around (depressed / in pain), if it doesn't think it has enough squares it releases more in order to think it is back to baseline. This makes us feel more pain / depressed.

In comes Elavil, and in 2-4 weeks the squares remain, but the receptors are now rectangles - less places for them to fit until they realize they are no longer welcome. This creates a "new normal".

Has a tendency to make people sleepy for the first 4-6 weeks of use.

Hope this helps
Old 20 December 2017, 13:10
Confirmed User

Thnx
Old 21 December 2017, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Elavil:
Number of uses.
Low grade anti-depressant / migraine prophy / chronic pain

Breaking it down to 18B terms -> it changes the shape (i.e. chemistry) of pain receptors in the brain from squares to rectangles. Makes it "more difficult, though not impossible, for pain squares to fit into the open rectangle holes"

Once the brain is so used to feeling a certain way and having squares floating around (depressed / in pain), if it doesn't think it has enough squares it releases more in order to think it is back to baseline. This makes us feel more pain / depressed.

In comes Elavil, and in 2-4 weeks the squares remain, but the receptors are now rectangles - less places for them to fit until they realize they are no longer welcome. This creates a "new normal".

Has a tendency to make people sleepy for the first 4-6 weeks of use.

Hope this helps
Is it a tricyclic anti-depressant? I seem to remember that for some reason during my street medic days.
Old 21 December 2017, 14:15
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggmedic View Post
Is it a tricyclic anti-depressant? I seem to remember that for some reason during my street medic days.
Yep old school.
Old 21 December 2017, 16:27
Confirmed User

My wife was given this. She swears it was for sleeping, to get her into REM. But, now I am thinking it was for depression prior to our marriage. makes sense when I learned of what her ex did to her... She is a proud woman, and I dont think she wanted me to know she was depressed..
Old 21 December 2017, 16:55
Been There Done That

Does make peeps drowsy...could be for both.
Old 21 December 2017, 19:44

Tricyclics (like Elavil) have fallen out of favor for depression as they are much more dangerous in overdose than newer antidepressants. However, they are still commonly used in folks with sleep disorders, neuropathic/chronic pain, and migraine. Especially if depression is complicating any of the above.
Old 21 December 2017, 19:44
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
My wife was given this. She swears it was for sleeping, to get her into REM. But, now I am thinking it was for depression prior to our marriage. makes sense when I learned of what her ex did to her... She is a proud woman, and I dont think she wanted me to know she was depressed..
Yep, often prescribed for sleep. It has been avoided as a anti-depressant in Australia for sometime now as it was only effective in higher doses which cause their own issues.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

Our new posting rules