Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 31 October 2013, 11:02
Been There Done That

Sometime after or perhaps before posting that here, I ranted a bit on my personal blog. Its easy to forget the Internet is a public forum, even if its just you and your keyboard at the time.

Since that post, I've been contacted by several of the kids who lost parents in that event, couple from the Air Force and Col. Stauss's boy as well. Always drops me in my tracks when they identify themselves, quite humbling.

Shitty Op, Shitty night.

I had this come in off the web recently as well. Thought it was a fine example of the camaraderie between the two groups that I can only imagine is stronger today.

I was there that night. I was part of the crew of one of the two MH-60Gs that actually made it to Hill AFB from Savannah. Weather had forced us to shut down in Rapid City SD the night before.

The next day it was decided to send two MH-60gs ahead as weather advon. We hit bad weather approaching the mountains in Utah and relayed back that the remaining birds should stay put. We ducked and dodged our way through the mountains and weather and finally hit Hill.

After we landed I did a quick post-flight of the bird and then when about 100m behind the bird for a "leak check" and smoke. The weather had deteriorated to the point I could no longer see the mountains at all. It was obvious this storm was gonna be a rough one. I shrugged and figured, "Oh well, weather day, it'll be a fun time at the bar later".

We then hiked up to the hanger where I met Steve. Ssgt Steven W Kelley was the best friend I ever had and had taken me under his wing when I first arrived to the 55th.

He was also gung-ho for this mission. In the 55th we all absolutely loved working with the Rangers. We loved the camraderie the Rangers had and the way we all just seemed to "click" when it came to the mission. I don't know, maybe the Rangers saw it differently, but it always seemed like when it came down to the MICON we had each others back.

Anyway, Steve was decked out with a full-combat load complete with the KYK which he had tucked in his tobaggan. When I first saw him I really kinda laughed. Steve liked to carry his GAU-5 with a .203 beneath and it was really kinda comical because really, we weren't the shooters, but it showed his committment. He was ready for a fight when supporting the Rangers and it was hard not to get on board. As I said, the camraderie was awesome. I had no problem with the possibility of dying to support an extract or resupply of those Rangers; we all felt that.

The fact that our fuckup killed so many Rangers is crushing.

For 20 years now, ...crushing.

Anyway, I grabbed Steve's excess gear and told him I'd see him back at whatever hotel we would be staying in "because you ain't going nowhere". We laughed and the crew headed out to the birds.

...I'm gonna stop here. I went back to the the room. Threw Steve's ruck on one of the beds in the room we were assigned and settled in to study for an upcoming promotion exam. Steve didn't come back. About midnight I switched on the bedside radio for background noise and a news report relayed details of a helicopter crash. Chills washed over me as I looked at Steve's gear and thought of his wife Val, and young children. I waited, refusing to leave the room, for Steve to come in and tell about how they helped out on the rescue of some news chopper that went down...or something...anything. Dawn came, no one came in, it became apparent Steve wasn't coming in and things went to shit for me. For some reason I went full on denial and just stayed in the room knowing what must have happened and denying it at the same time. I went down finally and bought a bottle of Jack Daniel's, avoiding anyone else from the sqaudron. Someone eventually came and got me for a "squadron meeting" and dragged me down, drunk. Reality left me, I haven't..... fuck it.

I'm angry, after 20 years, I'm still so fucking angry. What happened that night didn't have to happen and neither ... fuck it.

Like I said, I'm gonna stop. Anything I say now is gonna hurt some people unnecessarily and it will 100% be the fucking truth. No one has ever wanted the truth. No one.

God Bless our Rangers and Airmen. Sgt. Jurena, I love ya bro, probably met you a time or two. God Bless you and take care.

Last edited by RangerJurena; 31 October 2013 at 11:10. Reason: Adding comments
Old 31 October 2013, 11:23
Been There Done That

I should add..Hotels and Jack Daniels? I knew I should have "Aimed High". Dirty canteen water and poncho liners for those of us who were "Being all we could be"
Old 31 October 2013, 17:05
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
I should add..Hotels and Jack Daniels? I knew I should have "Aimed High". Dirty canteen water and poncho liners for those of us who were "Being all we could be"
Truth.

Thanks for posting that.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 29 October 2014, 08:15
Cry havoc

Gone but not forgotten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395994_436189496487748_1220739380_n.jpg (64.8 KB, 350 views)

Two eyes from the east.
Old 29 October 2014, 11:05
Been There Done That

One of those days that will always be etched in my memory. I can still recall the feeling I had that morning when we held a rare Bn PT formation on Pedan field. As we were assembling for the formation, I can see that something was wrong by the look on faces of our senior Os' and NCOs'. The Bn XO (then Maj. Kearny), in his class A, informed us of the bad news and that he was heading to UT after the formation. My stomach just dropped right then and there. Realizing how dangerous our job is, even during peace time. What hit me pretty hard was that just a week prior, COL Keneally was in our PB during our EXEVAL talking about his wonderful opportunity to work along side professionals of all ranks. Then a week later he is lost to this unfortunate accident.

To our Fallen Comrades, RLTW!
Old 29 October 2014, 11:23
Been There Done That

I remember the day I was told. I was in PLDC when it happened. Mishak went through RIP with my roommate, so he would often come over to hang out.

RIP, Brothers!
Old 29 October 2014, 11:59
Been There Done That

RIP Brothers
Old 29 October 2014, 12:46
Been There Done That

RIP.
Old 29 October 2014, 13:14
Confirmed User

Such a high price. RIP BROTHERS
Old 30 October 2014, 10:53
Been There Done That

Sometime, the morning of the 30th. I'm soaking wet standing on a causeway in Utah.. Angry, cold, confused, sad you name it..

But we manage to find a little humor in everything.

There was a bus, with some young AF dude sitting in it. We told him to fire it up, lets get back to Hill as we were all freezing. He muttered something about not being authorized to leave yet..

This was a life fire mission after all and I initially thought CSM (r) Noland was just going to shoot him.

Instead he said.."you know what, I'm fucking bus driver qualified" proceeded to toss said Airman out the door and we drove off...
Old 30 October 2014, 12:21
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
Sometime, the morning of the 30th. I'm soaking wet standing on a causeway in Utah.. Angry, cold, confused, sad you name it..

But we manage to find a little humor in everything.

There was a bus, with some young AF dude sitting in it. We told him to fire it up, lets get back to Hill as we were all freezing. He muttered something about not being authorized to leave yet..

This was a life fire mission after all and I initially thought CSM (r) Noland was just going to shoot him.

Instead he said.."you know what, I'm fucking bus driver qualified" proceeded to toss said Airman out the door and we drove off...
LMAO - awesome.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 7 January 2018, 04:30

One day before I die, I’m going to visit this memorial. RIP gents.

Our new posting rules