Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Diving

Old 6 February 2018, 14:35
Fan ar an gcosán

Commissioned Submarine Dive Coordinator?

My nephew is getting a U.S. Navy commission and is going nuclear on subs. Today he asked me about a nine week course that would qualify him as a "dive coordinator" on a sub. Is this scuba school at NDSTC with some additional submarine specific training? I'm unfamiliar with this program as a U.S. Navy dive option. Thank you for the guidance.
Old 6 February 2018, 16:03
Holy Diver

I cannot say positively since it has been about 4 years since I have been out to NDSTC however he most likely would be attending the submarine SCUBA course. Since last I checked SCUBA should only be about 6 weeks (tops) I would guess the remainder of the 9 weeks would be some sort of diving supervisor training follow-on for officers. But I could not say for sure. I cannot imagine sub SCUBA by itself is 9 weeks.

However the course list at NDSTC has changed drastically since I first attended in 2001, especially in terms of training for officers.
Old 6 February 2018, 18:35
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
...I cannot imagine sub SCUBA by itself is 9 weeks....However the course list at NDSTC has changed drastically since I first attended in 2001, especially in terms of training for officers.
Thanks DC. I had the same thought and needed some updates since my brief stint there in 1998.
Old 28 February 2018, 11:43
Doc McNasty

I've pinged my bro who's still down at NDSTC for course details.

FYI - if he's there anytime near Spring Break, tell him to stay off the beach and in the barracks! We lose up to 25% of ALL students across the board to non-academic attrition during that time.
Old 28 February 2018, 14:21
Administrator

From http://www.divingheritage.com/ndstckern.htm
SUBMARINE SCUBA DIVER (CIN A-433-0056, MASL P179360), is an unclassified 21 day course which provides basic instruction in the operational use and maintenance of open circuit scuba equipment, diving physics, identifying
diving injuries and recognizing the need for treatment. Training evolutions include underwater work projects, hull inspections and qualification dives. Course qualifies trainee to a depth of 60 feet.
Old 28 February 2018, 16:57
Fan ar an gcosán

Thank you sarc and Frog.

Our new posting rules