SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 January 2018, 00:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRedClover View Post
and you won't be hearing anything from me again.
I hope this isn't true. I would like to think, that in a few years, some lost child will be mucking about about in here, and there's RubyRedCLover going "watch your shit, dipshit. Let me tell you a story about back in the day when I..."

Live and learn, Lieutenant. And then pass on the lesson.
Old 14 January 2018, 01:15

I have already apologized to Shaw in person a week ago. I took full responsibility for my actions.
Old 14 January 2018, 03:16
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
So far, your apology rings hollow until you follow through by your actions.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRedClover View Post
I took full respsponsibility...
How exactly?
Old 14 January 2018, 06:01
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
I hope this isn't true. I would like to think, that in a few years, some lost child will be mucking about about in here, and there's RubyRedCLover going "watch your shit, dipshit. Let me tell you a story about back in the day when I..."

Live and learn, Lieutenant. And then pass on the lesson.
I agree. I would love to hear that you become a successful officer, a solid leader and mentor. You donít need to bolster yourself in the eyes of others, just learn, develop, take care of your people and the mission and you will succeed and have the respect of your people and your peers. We all have things we arenít proud of and that cause us shame and embarrassment, so welcome to the club. What differentiates you from others who have left here in disgrace is how you respond and recover. I hope you take the advice and ass chewing you have received and respond the right way and become one of the success stories. We donít want you to leave, we want you to grow into a solid, trustworthy officer. And that is up to you.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 14 January 2018, 09:19
Administrator

Paul85,
Stop posting in this thread. You have no experience that qualifies you to offer advice to someone serving in the US Military.

Thanks
Old 14 January 2018, 10:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I agree. I would love to hear that you become a successful officer, a solid leader and mentor. You donít need to bolster yourself in the eyes of others, just learn, develop, take care of your people and the mission and you will succeed and have the respect of your people and your peers. We all have things we arenít proud of and that cause us shame and embarrassment, so welcome to the club. What differentiates you from others who have left here in disgrace is how you respond and recover. I hope you take the advice and ass chewing you have received and respond the right way and become one of the success stories. We donít want you to leave, we want you to grow into a solid, trustworthy officer. And that is up to you.

Yep. Well said, SGM.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 14 January 2018, 13:51
Been There Done That

LT,
I thought long and hard about posting this. Because I don’t post much on the board. But I hate to see a graduate of my Alma Mater start their career with such a resounding thud. So I thought I would give you some words of wisdom from fellow graduate.

You’ve received some good advice previously and apparently a course correction from your mentor. Take it to heart and drive on. Lieutenants are expected to mess up. Just don’t make the same mistake again.

You have been given a commission as a lieutenant, not because of what you’ve done previously, but because you have the potential to be an officer, and at this point in your career, a platoon leader. You have been assessed and selected. Now your training begins. Your assessment and selection does not end when you graduated. You will be assessed and selected for every promotion and job in your future. You get selected for promotion, selected for command and selected for further schooling/training based on your potential to do the job at the next rank, command or school. When you get to your first platoon or your next duty assignment or your first command no one really cares what you’ve done in the past, they care about your ability to do the job in front of you. They care about your potential. The NCO’s care about your ability to give clear and complete guidance and orders. The soldiers care about our ability to take care of them, take care of their needs and not get them killed. Your superiors care about your potential to go off the rails and get people killed, whether or not your can be trusted to carry out directions and whether or not they can trust your word.

You have opened yourself up to a heap of criticism, due entirely to your mouth.

The day I left my father’s house to go overseas to my first duty assignment as a LT, my father gave me a few simple rules to follow.
My father was a retired SNCO at the time, having spent from 1940 to 1968 in the Army.
He said: “Boy, keep your mouth shut and your ears and eyes open. Trust your NCOs and train your soldiers.” Then he turned and walked back into his house. That simple guidance had a profound effect on me in the coming years, right up until I retired, and beyond.
It may help you as well.

You have busted the hell out of the first rule. You shot your mouth off to your fellow lieutenants, someone called you on it and now you’re feeling the heat. You embellished what you had accomplished. You violated, at least in my mind, the Honor Code, which you lived with four years. You may argue that you really didn’t lie, you just embellished a little bit. Back in the day, that was called quibbling. And was, in itself, a violation.

The result is your word, at least among your fellow lieutenants, is suspect. That is not a good way to start your career. The other lieutenants with whom you are attending training now, you’ll see them again. And some of them will remember you as a liar who made up bullshit to look cool. They will not trust you. And they will recount, to other people along the way, the story of the LT in the basic course that was a liar. You may run into some of them as well. Some of the lieutenants in your current school may end up as your superiors, some of the people who hear the story from the lieutenants will be your superiors and some of them will be the NCOs you will have in your unit.

The Army is a big organization, but the Army is also a vary small place as evidenced by your experience on this board.

In my career, I always tried to treat everyone with respect for who they were. Some of them, after a time, turned into people that I knew I should listen to very carefully, because they knew their jobs, had done them with aplomb and what they had to say could benefit me and make me better. I determined that I should listen to them, not for what they said about themselves, but because what other people said about them. They never talked about themselves or what they had done/accomplished/been through.

You may find that insight something you should emulate.

Leadership is a combination of a lot of things, one of which is the trust which your subordinates, superiors and your contemporaries have in your word.

Good luck LT, I hope the ramblings of an old retired Army guy will help you out in some way.
Old 14 January 2018, 14:21
Been There Done That

PACE...Well said, and spot-the-fuck-on!
Old 14 January 2018, 17:58
Administrator

Pace....Great Post.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 15 January 2018, 10:50
Going cyclic!!

Lt.

All these gentlemen have passed on invaluable knowlege to you here.
I have one thing to add, and it's something I tell all my JO's and my people as they progress to SCNO ranks.
It isn't about you anymore. It's really that simple. Your career isn't important. You making rank isn't important. You doing the best job you can for your people is what's important. To do that, your ego has to be left at home.
Trust me, there is no greater honor in this world, than being asked to lead your men into harms way.
Learn it and earn it.

good luck
Old 15 January 2018, 19:51
Confirmed User

...backing slowly out....

You guys are longsuffering.
Old 31 January 2018, 16:51
F.A.G.

FYI.

BC - james.a.zanella.mil@mail.mil

CSM - linwood.p.bailey2.mil@mail.mil
Old 1 February 2018, 09:20
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator 37 View Post
This whole affair has been ridiculous.
Lighten up Brother,

Ridiculous until you look at the history of just such threads. Threads that humored naivety that was destined for stardom, at least in his own mind. Now, through ridiculous threads like this, he is a member here, serving in a USASOC unit.

We also have a Super Hornet Pilot, but he is another story.....

Fight the patient war
Old 1 February 2018, 09:27
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
Your Post....
Truer words, Sir, Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 1 February 2018, 19:07
Authorized Personnel

This is a great thread, and I hope one day my son can read it.

This is hilarious Sharky:
Quote:
Welcome to the spotlight, you made it.
Old 4 February 2018, 10:52
Been There Done That

From the start this thread has been both insightful and sheer comedy. Just when I thought I couldn't learn anything more...well, 6 pages later of read more post less proves me wrong. In all seriousness, thanks to the level of experience and the individuals that have gone before us to provide more than one "pearl of wisdom" in this thread.

And thanks dad for that sage advice 30 years ago before I left for basic... "open ears, shut fucking mouth and you will always land on your feet!" It seems to be a common theme in successful generational veterans. Good luck LT, you are going to need it.
ďThe nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.Ē -William F. Butler
Old 12 February 2018, 16:16
This space for rent

Wow. I go away for a few years and open up this thread. Ouch. Honestly, if folks who know about this want this to get out, your career is most likely over.

Coming to the end of mine in the not too distant future, I will impart a few things if you are still reading. Talk to and listen to your PSG. If he is telling you something you question, go see your 1SG and Co XO. Those two guys are freebies as I call them. Your XO will have a little more experience but your 1SG is the one in tune with your CDR. He already knows you don't know shit and will actually be honored that you asked his opinion. The main job of an NCO is to train Soldiers. That includes officers. When I was a BN CDR, I told my CO CDRs to go see the CSM and XO. Same advice. Here is what actually happens when you seek out knowledge. When you become Chairman of the JCS one day, these crusty old farts you are talking to will be drinking beer and telling lies at the VFW will look back and say "Yeah, I remember when he was a wet behind the ears 2LT. I taught him everything he knows!!" They will take great pride in your career because they had a hand in your success.

Be who you are and nothing else. It should be enough.
Old 12 February 2018, 16:32
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Be who you are and nothing else. It should be enough.
Sigline material and a mantra all should heed.
I'm stealing this line with your permission
Old 12 February 2018, 16:38
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Sigline material and a mantra all should heed.
I'm stealing this line with your permission

Go ahead. I probably stole it from somewhere else.
Old 13 February 2018, 18:18
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
When I was a BN CDR, I told my CO CDRs to go see the CSM and XO.
Hey sir, would you mind telling that to my company commanders, too? They seem to forget that often. Hence, why the XO is constantly .

Young LT, there is lots of solid advice on here, but I think the common thread is that you need to discover some humility. It was hubris that led you down this road. Someone else already said it, but it bears repeating - it's NOT about YOU. As an infantry 2LT, you exist for those young 11Bs that you'll be given the privilege to lead. I have a good buddy who was the director of the Infantry Officer Course several years back - a position that is hand selected by the Commandant - who always says his boss is a lance corporal 0311.

To get back to the humility aspect, you'll need it to survive this. I assume the Army still sends its infantry LTs straight to Ranger School after IBOLC. I've never been myself, but I understand peer evaluations are an important aspect of that school. PEER evaluations. And some of those will probably be written by guys from your IBOLC class. So you need to figure this humility thing out NOW. Because you have a difficult hill to climb going to a place like Ranger School with this hanging over your head. And it will be. It may very well follow you to your first battalion, even if you do everything right from here out. Don't assume your NCOs and platoon sergeant won't find out - you'll be surprised what they can find out about you. How you carry yourself from now forward will make the difference in whether they see it as indicative of your character, or whether they see it as a dumb mistake made a long time ago. The difference will, in my opinion, be made by whether or not you can discover some humility and live it.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3

Our new posting rules