SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 2 February 2018, 16:04
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Tom Dreesen's hometown, as I recall.

Tough town even back in his day, he's said that when he joined the Navy, it was the first time in his life he ever had 3 meals a day, a clean bed and good shoes and clothes.
Old 2 February 2018, 17:22
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Tom Dreesen's hometown, as I recall.

Tough town even back in his day, he's said that when he joined the Navy, it was the first time in his life he ever had 3 meals a day, a clean bed and good shoes and clothes.
Tom Dressen played left field for our softball team, Betty's Pub, before he made it big. Good fielder but not a great hitter. He was sleeping in his car in those days. He had an act, Tim and Tom, at one of the downtown comedy clubs. Thornton High School in Harvey has turned out a good number of NFL and NBA players.
Old 5 February 2018, 16:45
Been There Done That

Chicago rapper gets 15 years on drug, gun charges

Paragraph 3: "According to court documents, Burris, who had been arrested more than 50 times................."

Fifty fucking times!!!

http://www.guns.com/2018/02/05/chica...g-gun-charges/

Some of these lawyers crack me up: "Seeking leniency, Burris’ attorney said the aspiring rapper came from a dysfunctional family, shared a close bond to his two children, only sold a small amount of narcotics — four grams of crack cocaine and 1.4 grams of heroin — to police, and has an opportunity to learn a trade from his uncle."
Old 5 February 2018, 22:51
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
only sold a small amount of narcotics — four grams of crack cocaine and 1.4 grams of heroin — to police, and has an opportunity to learn a trade from his uncle."
Sounds like he already learned a trade from his uncle.....

And now he gets to earn a decade worth of street cred. Play stupid games....

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 3 March 2018, 13:31

This is why we can't have nice things

Two groups of "teens" got into a beef at Water Tower Place when one of them pulled out a gun and fired it into the ground. That's the shopping and tourist mecca on Michigan Ave, and even its not immune to the general sense of mayhem wafting through the air.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...302-story.html

Funny thing is that a group of store owners on State St just hired some armed security to patrol their block (they are calling them "street ambassadors" ). I suppose it won't be long before we start seeing armed "street ambassadors" roaming every block in the city.

They say that these security guys have powers of arrest, but unless they're off duty cops I'm pretty sure they don't. Although this being Chicago, Rahm has probably given them special dispensation and a couple of sprinkles of holy water.
Old 3 March 2018, 13:51
Make a desert and call it peace.

The shiteating politicians will have us back to the glory days of the "gilded age" with Pinkertons in armored cars with belt fed machine guns putting down rioters. Because the stupid greedy bastards can't stop creating a crisis to further their endless stealing and corruption. S/F....Ken M

"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 3 March 2018, 15:34
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Funny thing is that a group of store owners on State St just hired some armed security to patrol their block (they are calling them "street ambassadors" ). I suppose it won't be long before we start seeing armed "street ambassadors" roaming every block in the city.

They say that these security guys have powers of arrest, but unless they're off duty cops I'm pretty sure they don't. Although this being Chicago, Rahm has probably given them special dispensation and a couple of sprinkles of holy water.
It's not new.

Back in the early 90's when crack first hit Chicago in a big way, the Edgewater Businessman's Association/Chamber of Commerce was tired of gang bangers and crack dealers (but I repeat myself) inhabiting the corners in that area......they put up $50K and got matching funds/grants from Bush I's DoJ. They used it to hire a private security company, former .mil or LEO only, preferably both only for this account, and we did vehicle and foot patrol in that area. We had no powers of arrest, although that was possible if City Hall had been willing to kick down with some "Special Constable" commissions. They weren't, why did that matter when "Mayor Mumbles" had already blessed off on it....CPD knew who we were and were under instructions to leave us alone unless we did something really egregious. Not that they liked that but hey, we got hired because they weren't doing their job.

Not being restricted by CPD, we carried whatever we had on our "Tan Cards" (weapons qualification/authorization) issued by the State of Illinois. We had done a rifle qual with an AR-15 with a .22LR conversion kit on the pistol range, so ......we were driving around one afternoon and saw 2 Chicago cops, an old guy and a female who had like 8 young bucks all on the wall.....and didn't look too comfortable, the detainee's were all hinkey, looking around, waiting for their opportunity to make a break.......we stopped to lend some moral support, pulled a Benelli autoloading 12 gauge and an AR15 out of the trunk, then wandered up and to ask if everything was all right....."No, it's OK, we already called for backup".....both sides had a "Who the f**k are these guys" look on their faces, even though the CPD folks knew.....the old guy cop says "We can't carry that stuff"....LOL.

We had some fun, generally just ran these guys off the corners in the whole neighborhood and then did foot patrol in a 2-3 block area around closing time for the bars/nightclubs. The gig only ran for a few months, until the money ran out....but before it did, we arrested a Wilmette PD officer for possession of narcotics, he and a former Federal inmate were snorting lines sitting in his car virtually right in front of "Dancer's", a Gangster Disciples hangout on North Broadway at 2AM. He initially went for the P225 he had in the door pocket (3 different types of ammo in an 8 rd magazine including some lead bullet reloads) but thought better of it since he had 2 guns already pointed directly at him. We had that initial "Oh Fuck" when we had everyone cuffed up and he asked to speak to me off to one side and told us he was a cop.....we were thinking we had interrupted an undercover or something.....until I see the look on this guys face......so, we dial 911 (citizens arrest only as a security guard, even though we had Daley's blessing we have to turn anyone we arrest over to CPD ASAP) and CPD shows up, Officers Sxxb and Oxxxxi. We show them what we have, 3/4 gram in a flap on the console (and 1/4g on the floor where he dumped it out of his lap when we drew down on him) and that this guy is a cop.

"Well, if were going to take care of this we have to do it before the Sgt. gets here". My buddy Stevie (see sig line) goes "Fuck that, you're not taking care of anything, this guy is going down". And about then the Sgt. rolls up, so end of that conversation.

Deputy Superintendent and his driver shows up at the station around 3am. "Who are the arresting officers?" Watch Commander nods in our direction, Deputy Super looks right through us for a few seconds, then goes into the detention area to talk to the guest of honor. No Chicago cop would sign the arrest report. Might be the only case out there where two "security guards" signed a CPD Report of Arrest. I'm pretty sure it was the only time security guards ever arrested a cop at gunpoint for possession of narcotics.

It turned out that Dwayne Belcher was one of two minority hires on the whole Department to protect Wilmette from a lawsuit for not having any black officers. He had been a City employee before he was sent to the academy, as........

"Animal control". I shit you not, he was a f**king dogcatcher. It went to court, he pleaded guilty, got no time, but his sentence was such that if he completed it and no further trouble for a period of time I don't recall, his records would be expunged.

Ah, "Chicago"......

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 3 March 2018, 16:02
killjoy

Very much enjoy reading first-hand accounts like that. Thank you for sharing, BOTD. Sounds like a wild ride. Good on your buddy Steve(RIP) for holding those stinky feet to the fire.
Old 3 March 2018, 18:50

Wow reliving old times! Did a stint with the Edgewater security myself while with the Sheriffs Dept. Remember picking up our radios in a basement apt. one of the locals provided as a office. We would just basically harass dope dealers by sitting on there locations. Real off the book wild west stuff that you don't see know days.
Old 14 March 2018, 20:00
Confirmed User

I guess there's a silver lining to the dark cloud of chicago:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/navy-me...ago-1521028800

By Shibani Mahtani
March 14, 2018 8:00 a.m. ET
74 COMMENTS
CHICAGO— Konrad Poplawski, a 22-year old Navy hospital corpsman, is about to be deployed as a battlefield medic with the 2nd Marine Division, which has served in deadly battlegrounds in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But first, he is making a pit stop at Cook County’s Stroger Hospital, which the Navy says is among few places here in the U.S. that provide experience treating the types of wounds he will inevitably see on the battlefield.

For so long “the first time a corpsman got any trauma experience was when they were deployed, and some would just freeze up,” said Captain Paul Roach, a U.S. Navy surgeon at the Lovell Federal Health Care Center north of Chicago. “We don’t want that to happen anymore,” said Capt. Roach, who heads the program in the Great Lakes region.

The Navy is working to formalize a pilot program that has been tested here for three years, rotating newly enlisted hospital corpsmen—the combat medics for the Navy and Marines—and those needing a refresher while they are back home, for six to eight weeks through Stroger Hospital’s trauma center. The 14-bed unit treats over 6,000 trauma patients yearly, many of them with penetrating, life-threatening wounds akin to those on the battlefield.

‘The experience here can’t be replicated elsewhere, unless you have a major land invasion.’

—Dr. Faran Bokhari, who chairs the trauma & burn surgery unit at Stroger Hospital
Though Chicago is experiencing a sustained drop in murders since a dramatic spike in 2016, it remains a city where a high number of gunshot victims cycle through the trauma center night after night.

About 30% of patients at Stroger Hospital, on Chicago’s near West Side, are admitted to the trauma ward with wounds from firearms, compared with a national average of 4.2% for level 1 trauma centers—hospitals certified to have the resources to handle multiple victims with penetrating and other serious wounds—according to the National Trauma Data Bank.

“The experience here can’t be replicated elsewhere, unless you have a major land invasion,” said Dr. Faran Bokhari, who chairs the trauma & burn surgery unit at the hospital.

In many front-line Marine units, immediate medical care for gunshots, explosions or shrapnel comes from these corpsmen who mostly are young, new to the service and new to seeing up close the wounds they train to treat. The Navy medics, known as hospital corpsmen, typically receive 14 weeks of training in first aid and patient care in Fort Sam Houston in Texas after initial boot camp, and then have the option for additional training.

The program at Stroger Hospital is part of a new push from the Department of Defense to prioritize civilian and military partnerships, specifically budgeted for in last year’s National Defense Authorization Act. Navy corpsmen started embedding at Stroger Hospital as part of a pilot program in 2014, but the program will be expanded and designated an official training rotation this spring.

“Corpsmen are not routinely exposed to trauma or critically injured patients during their first assignments,” said Defense Department spokeswoman Maj. Carla Gleason. This “realistic, hands-on trauma training will allow them to hone their skills and increase their readiness.”

In recent days, the group of corpsmen have learned skills including how to scrub in before entering an operating theater and how to operate a range of machinery, including suction machines for patients who are losing blood. After just two days of training, they are fully immersed in the trauma unit’s team of doctors and surgeons, expected to help with procedures during the trauma unit’s busiest shift from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Navy corpsmen often operate independently in combat zones, and the immersion helps them learn protocol and procedures in a large hospital so they can later replicate that.

“A lot of it is here’s your training, you learn, it gets drilled in into your head—then it’s just go,” said Andrew Swain, a 26-year old corpsman who has served as a medic in Iraq. During that deployment, in his first “mass-casualty incident,” he and just a handful of other medics had to treat about eight injured at the same time, all with traumatic injuries.

A week into their training, the corpsmen have seen multiple patients come in with gaping bullet hole wounds, and one with a traumatic injury to the eye after a motorcycle he was working on blew up in his face.

For Corpsman Poplawski, who grew up in suburban Michigan, it was his first time seeing anyone with a gunshot wound.

The experience “has prepared me to deal with worse things out in the field,” he said. “I’ll be the only one out there, so I’ll have to learn from this.”
Old 14 March 2018, 20:50
Authorized Personnel

My good friend from college big brother did it in reverse order. Deployed during Earnest Will, Dersert Storm and Kosovo and then did his residency as an ER doc in inner city Detroilet. Docs were impressed with his skills. Some of his stories while there in Motor City were freaking unreal. Corpsman up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 14 March 2018, 21:44

Quote:
I guess there's a silver lining to the dark cloud of chicago
Just before OIF 1 started, I was sent with some other corpsmen and a doctor from Pendleton to the trauma center at Martin Luther King hospital in south central LA. We spent a few weeks shadowing the docs and staff, and got hands on with some pretty gnarly stuff that prepared us for what we were about to encounter overseas. Glad to see something similar is still going on that young docs can benefit from.
Old 14 March 2018, 21:54
Been There Done That

Damn... now I understand why the military stopped live tissue training on goats and pigs. Why waste goats and pigs, when you can just go to Chicago and have plenty of real training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 15 March 2018, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Damn... now I understand why the military stopped live tissue training on goats and pigs. Why waste goats and pigs, when you can just go to Chicago and have plenty of real training.
Army medics and Navy corpsmen have been getting training at the trauma unit of Cook County hospital (now called Stroger) for years. It's the perfect training ground for them, sadly.

http://www.cookcountyhhs.org/press-r...kills-stroger/
Old 15 March 2018, 14:58

Quote:
Army medics and Navy corpsmen have been getting training at the trauma unit of Cook County hospital (now called Stroger) for years. It's the perfect training ground for them, sadly.

I'm pretty sure it dates back to the 00's, I'll have to ask my cousin's husband if he ever worked with any. He did his residency at County and while going through the process of getting board certified in his critical care specialty, he would pick up some extra $ by moonlighting at the ER on weekends.

Never a dull moment, he said.
Old 16 March 2018, 07:33

Quote:
I wouldn't be doing my job as a cynic if I didn't point out this has a dual role as a covert subsidy of Chicago/Cook Cty's failing medical system. As well as helping to tamp down the Chitcago death numbers.

People want to save the goats and pigs, they're sympathetic creatures. Now Shitavious Williams, jacked up on PCP at 0315, motherfucking you and thrashing about trying to grab any sort of weapon while he bleeds out after being shot 17 times with some shitty 22LR drop gun(s)....putting effort into keeping that savage alive takes force of will.

This program, or some form of it, dates back to at least the middle 1990's, very probably earlier. It's probably better if it stays below the radar, as some petty bureaucrat will doubtlessly want to muck it up. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 19 March 2018, 16:02

Quaint little crime spree going on in the early morning hours today up in Albany Park, which is just a hop and half skip from my sister's neighborhood Portage Park. I like the neighborhood she lives in, but there is always something going on around the periphery. Won't be long before the sprees will start happening on her block.

Basically the same MO we've seen the last couple of years, a bunch of young thugs steal a car and travel to various neighborhoods around the city either jacking other cars and/or robbing people. They were pretty energetic this morning, got most of the robberies in within about 6 hours. The city is basically a backed up toilet, any attempts to flush the turds will just result in a bigger mess.

http://abc7chicago.com/11-12-armed-r...rning/3233432/
Old 20 March 2018, 04:23

The carjacking thing is escalating currently. Shitheads have established that jacking the suburbanites and northsiders is the easiest way to get back to their nesting places; even easier than jumping the turnstile to the Red/Blue lines.

The St Pat's day clownery (8 killed this weekend) has distracted from this at the moment, but it's the up and coming crime this year. S/F.....Ken M
Old 8 April 2018, 17:32
Life is simple, not easy.

I haven't heard of any scheduled marches in Chicago against gun violence.

Maybe because the narrative/optics are bad since Democrats run the city and handguns are already outlawed? Maybe it is just a matter of activists realizing that Chicago is a failed gun control policy and best not to draw attention to these failures.

I could not run my HOA let alone a city, but seems to me that when a city makes $200M a year on parking tickets (MotherJones Feb2018) but is $11B in teachers pension debt, coupled with the fact that most revenues are used to service current debt, how can the city afford to fight crime ridden neighborhoods?

Gun violence in different neighborhoods:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaSK4aEVQAAaF4K.jpg (28.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 8 April 2018, 18:57
Been There Done That

^

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Our new posting rules