Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 3 November 2017, 23:36
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Iím so glad I got the hard copy. I got it on the 31st. When you come into Orlando again, Iím taking the train down for a great steak dinner and a book signing. Promise not to get pneumonia this time, lol!

As I told you earlier, this is a heirloom Iím passing down to my Grandson.
You honor me, brother. Thank you so much.
Old 4 November 2017, 11:36
Whatever Sucks the Most

Friends, I just woke up a little while ago and I checked my book page, you know, like a new author will, and I was floored to see that the current list price of the softcover edition of A Tale of the Grenada Raiders is selling at $22.10.

I do not know if this is a glitch, or if I am the only person on the planet to see that price on the Amazon page, or if Amazon made a business decision to price the book at a sensible price.

If you are considering buying the physical softcover version of this book, I would jump now. Amazon may suddenly realize that some contractor unilaterally reset the price.

I just checked the page, and it is the same edition, 8.5x11 inches, 377 pages, 2.4lbs in weight. It is a big, big book. And now, for reasons unknown to me, it is selling at $22.10, a steep discount from its list price of $64.99.

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Grenada-...9796846&sr=1-1

Thank you all for reading!

ETA: The Kindle eBook edition is still priced at $14.99. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Grenada-...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

If you purchased this book at $64.99, I thank you, and I strongly advise that you contact Amazon customer service and request them to credit your Amazon account the difference in the list price and the current softcover price.
Old 4 November 2017, 12:15
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
If you purchased this book at $64.99, I thank you, and I strongly advise that you contact Amazon customer service and request them to credit your Amazon account the difference in the list price and the current softcover price.
Good luck with that. I've had that conversation with Amazon before, usually the best they'll do is recommend you return the one you originally bought and then reorder the lower priced item.

The book is well worth the original price anyway. I'm glad I ordered the softcover, I'm about halfway through the kindle version and it is excellent.
Old 4 November 2017, 15:01
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Good luck with that. I've had that conversation with Amazon before, usually the best they'll do is recommend you return the one you originally bought and then reorder the lower priced item.

The book is well worth the original price anyway. I'm glad I ordered the softcover, I'm about halfway through the kindle version and it is excellent.
Thank you. I am very sorry. I had no idea that Amazon could even do this. I am glad that they did, but they should at least credit your account for the difference.
Old 5 November 2017, 12:33

well shoot, thanks for posting up about the price drop. picked up a paperback copy.

I hope they didn't pre-empt your move and drop out all the pictures and reduce the format though! :)

i've been doing a bunch of reading about Urgent Fury over the last month and look forward to getting your account!
Old 5 November 2017, 12:47
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCoolName View Post
well shoot, thanks for posting up about the price drop. picked up a paperback copy.

I hope they didn't pre-empt your move and drop out all the pictures and reduce the format though! :)

i've been doing a bunch of reading about Urgent Fury over the last month and look forward to getting your account!
Thank you. I hope that you like it. I am still trying to figure out what the hell Amazon did.
Old 5 November 2017, 13:43
Whatever Sucks the Most

Now the price is down to $22.01, which is interesting.

And folks are anecdotally reporting that they are buying the book, but the sales are very slow to update on Amazon's reporting, and I wonder if they are counting all the sales.

Amazon shows eBook sales immediately. Softcovers show up after they ship.

Whatever. All that a writer really wants is for people to read his work.
Old 5 November 2017, 14:59

I hope you are still getting paid for them! Don't have a clue how it works from that side.
Old 5 November 2017, 16:51
Only slightly useless.

Just ordered the kindle version and looking forward to reading your book tonight! I too hope that the lower price on the softback version doesn't affect your royalties. I know of several authors who don't sell through Amazon because the deep discounts mean less money for them!

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 5 November 2017, 20:47
Whatever Sucks the Most

My royalties are still increasing, but I cannot tell by how much. It is ok.

Really, I just want folks to read my work. It is not about money for me.

Though I do need new computers.
Old 5 November 2017, 20:48
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
Just ordered the kindle version and looking forward to reading your book tonight! I too hope that the lower price on the softback version doesn't affect your royalties. I know of several authors who don't sell through Amazon because the deep discounts mean less money for them!
Thank you for buying it! I hope that you like it.
Old 5 November 2017, 22:49
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Thank you for buying it! I hope that you like it.
Boy did I!😀 Amazing read! I found the style to be conversational, as if you were in a chair in front of me telling me the story yourself. I also found it to be an honest account of your thoughts and feelings! A really great story about combat is often not about tactics or weaponry,but about the thoughts and feelings and even the fears of the men who were there. I'm really looking forward to the next books! Thank you for writing this one!

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 5 November 2017, 23:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thank you. I am very sorry. I had no idea that Amazon could even do this. I am glad that they did, but they should at least credit your account for the difference.
Steve, take a look at the attached article:

amazon-discounts-other-sellers-products-as-retail-competition-stiffens

I suspect this may have something to do with the pricing discrepancies.
Old 5 November 2017, 23:47
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Steve, take a look at the attached article:

amazon-discounts-other-sellers-products-as-retail-competition-stiffens

I suspect this may have something to do with the pricing discrepancies.
That could be a potential explanation. Jeff Mellinger talked to a human at Amazon yesterday and they had no explanation for the price drop. That worried me, as I do not want this to be a glitch or an error. I want this to be Amazon selling at a discount while honoring its original royalty deal.

This is feasible for Amazon as they charged absurd rates for printing and their cut of sales was generous. At $64.99 Amazon charged $30 for printing, their cut was $24, and my royalty per softcover shipped was $11. For eBooks my royalty is supposed to be $4.50.

Obviously Amazon was making mad profit on this breakdown. Even discounting down to $20.01 and honoring my $11 royalty, Amazon still makes $9. And it will clearly sell more copies at $20.01 than at $64.99. A lot more.

This is obviously to my benefit, as well, which makes me suspicious, as I am accustomed to getting screwed, and I never enjoy windfalls in my favor.

This could be Amazon making a business decision. I hope that it is.

Thank you for the link.
Old 5 November 2017, 23:48
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Civilian View Post
Boy did I!😀 Amazing read! I found the style to be conversational, as if you were in a chair in front of me telling me the story yourself. I also found it to be an honest account of your thoughts and feelings! A really great story about combat is often not about tactics or weaponry,but about the thoughts and feelings and even the fears of the men who were there. I'm really looking forward to the next books! Thank you for writing this one!
Thank you very much for reading it and liking it. I am humbled.
Old 6 November 2017, 00:12
Confirmed User

Np, when I fly out to bkk one day, you can sign my copy in person for me!
Old 6 November 2017, 00:15
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Np, when I fly out to bkk one day, you can sign my copy in person for me!
It would be my honor.
Old 6 November 2017, 03:52
Authorized Personnel

Magician, I ordered a real book from Amazon, I hope you aren't getting screwed by said publisher.

I commend you on getting this done (so far), it has to be both painful and healing to take on this project.
Old 6 November 2017, 04:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Magician, I ordered a real book from Amazon, I hope you aren't getting screwed by said publisher.

I commend you on getting this done (so far), it has to be both painful and healing to take on this project.
Mine got here today. Not your average paperback, as magician said, it is a big book.

I don't buy many paper books these days. Glad I have this one on my bookshelf.
Old 6 November 2017, 11:20
Sub Rosa

I bought the Kindle version on Friday and finished it last night. In hindsight, I would have preferred the paperback because of the ease of switching between texts and pics while reading.

Our new posting rules