Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 December 2017, 17:35
Been There Done That

Thumbs down Pit Bulls

This is one breed of dog I am all for eliminating. I know some will give me clack for that, and go on about how it is the owners, not the breed. Yeah, right. Something in this breeds temperament that is unpredictable. Just like having a pet bear or wolf or cougar. Would you really trust this breed of dog around your children?

Seems every time I hear of a brutal dog attack, and many times fatal, it is a pit bull.

So many other good breeds out there, that are good protectors yet you do not have to sleep with one eye open and can fully trust with children .

60 pieces of evidence collected? Damn.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/16...cops-says.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 December 2017, 17:45
Confirmed User

For me it's hard to tell. Owned two pitbulls, both were trained and raised by me and they were no less or more problematic than the other ones I had (a German Shepherd, an Amstaff, a Cocker Spaniel and one Labrador). But that's just me. Two dogs are not any sort of viable scientific sample to analyze whether the breed deserves its popular reputation. They detinitely had the physical capability to do serious harm to someone if raised or trained to fight.Some breeds IMO attract a specific type of owner....lots of people I know have bought the pitts for their fear factor and supposed toughness they give their owners by association. These people tend to either consciously or unconsciously prime their dogs towards aggression. Just my extremely biased and limited observation....

Last edited by Paul85; 16 December 2017 at 17:53.
Old 16 December 2017, 18:11
Confirmed User

If you look at the owners of problem pit bulls, thats usually the source of the problem.
Old 16 December 2017, 18:15
Authorized Personnel

Had a buddy who had a well trained Dobie. He thought it was funny when he gave the command to attack and just as the beast was close to your throat he would call it off. I never saw the humor, it scared the shit out of me as the dog was well over 100 pounds. Warped owner.

I will not try to pet a Pit Bull or Dobie,
Old 16 December 2017, 18:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
If you look at the owners of problem pit bulls, thats usually the source of the problem.
Word. Maybe some breeds are predisposed to aggression, but the owner sure does play a big part in the equation. For example… I will never had a dog that, while eating, you could not reach down and pet it. Of all the dogs I've owned, (and I currently have three) I have never came across a dog that could not be broken of that habit. Even with the two strays my son brought home. Aggression against another dog, is another thing. I don't know what it is, but even my mild-mannered golden retriever will on occasion go after another dog.
Old 16 December 2017, 18:22
At the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Truth. Those dogs were fighting dogs. It even says so in the article. Don't think for a second the clean cut pics you see of that girl are the reality. She looks a lot less glamorous in more recent photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drugs-5a359b.jpg (25.1 KB, 464 views)
Old 16 December 2017, 18:28
Been There Done That

Agree. Genocide for these dogs. And their trashy owners.
19 Oct 2017
Old 16 December 2017, 18:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
Truth. Those dogs were fighting dogs. It even says so in the article. Don't think for a second the clean cut pics you see of that girl are the reality. She looks a lot less glamorous in more recent photos.
Her Facebook is very telling and breeding fighting dogs is a dangerous affair.
Old 16 December 2017, 18:39
Authorized Personnel

I’ve had pure breeds growing up. Now have two Lab and Pit mixes. Best dogs ever. However, they know where the fit in with the pack. Raised
Collies, Newfoundlands, Bouviers, Rottweilers and Ridgebacks so I know the drill. My wife daughter and me are King and Queen of the heep. Quickly taught my wife and daughter any transgression with any of our dogs was to flip them on their back, expose their belly and make them submit. They’re great dogs and know where they fit in our family pack.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 16 December 2017, 18:50
Authorized Personnel

My Pit/Lab mix is the nicest and sweetest dog that I have ever owned or known. I'd rather the entire human population was erased than have something happen to him.
Old 16 December 2017, 18:58
Confirmed User

All dogs are instinctually pack animals and will follow the rules of the pack and alpha of the pack. If you let any dog think they are the alpha there will be problems. Those problems increase with different types of breeds from just being little assholes to becoming dangerous and aggressive.

Any dog from the litter can be raised to be aggressive and any dog can be raised to be lovable but some dogs are like people and just might be bat shit crazy then all bets are off and that is not limited to any specific breed. Of course posted IMO.
Old 16 December 2017, 19:01
Bitter old man.

Useless breed IMO. Local shelter won't take them here. Very hard to re-home them if at all.
Old 16 December 2017, 19:50
Confirmed User

My cousin and others I've known have always had pit bulls, and always around kids. Don't know anything about fighting animals. I can imagine of that's the case here then it has more to do with what happened than anything. When I was in middle school my family had a pit and I used to get too rough with her and she'd let me know quick. A full mauling probably had to have some warning signs.
Old 16 December 2017, 20:12
Authorized Personnel

I’m going chalk this up to not knowing a pity. I love my pity mix and my sons full blood pit. But by all means let’s judge a whole breed by the actions of this dog... and let’s judge the actions of all white people by the action of one white person or gun owners by the action of one gun owner

For fucks sake

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 16 December 2017, 20:20
killjoy

A while back I spent many hours putting together a spreadsheet from sources of data documenting confirmed kills by canines. The thing I noted that made pit bulls stand out was that it was the only breed where a single dog was able to kill an able-bodied adult male(25-50yo).

For all the additional liability(higher home owners ins) and potential harm they come with, compared to other breeds, I am left to ask what great benefit they bring to the table that an alternative choice does not?

Is there a trait they posses that another dog cannot offer or something?
Old 16 December 2017, 20:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
I’m going chalk this up to not knowing a pity. I love my pity mix and my sons full blood pit. But by all means let’s judge a whole breed by the actions of this dog... and let’s judge the actions of all white people by the action of one white person or gun owners by the action of one gun owner

For fucks sake
It is not based on the actions of one dog. It is judging the breed on what the majority of dog attacks are based on.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-quick-statistics.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2014/06/24/but-my-pit-bull-would-never-attack-may-be-wishful-thinking/amp

Pit bulls make up 6 percent of the dog population in Canada and the US, but they are responsible for 68 percent of dog attacks and 52 percent of dog-related deaths from 1982 to 2009, TIME Magazine reported.

https://www.nationalpitbullvictimawareness.org/attacks/bites-bans-deaths-usa/

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 16 December 2017, 20:32
Confirmed User

My Pit/Lab mix Lola, absolute sweetheart. Wouldnt hurt a fly but her farts are absolutely ruthless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1723.jpg (35.1 KB, 427 views)
Old 16 December 2017, 20:57
Red Headed Stepchild

Sounds a lot like a gun control discussion in here

I’d never really seen a pit bull owned by a non shithead until after I got married. I used to share your opinion LP, but don’t now after being around a pretty decent sample size of pit bulls owned by regular people, to include a couple of rescue dogs that weren’t treated well as puppies.
Old 16 December 2017, 21:02
Been There Done That

Stop being such politically correct fucks. There are literally hundreds of breeds of dogs you could pick to own. They are all cute and fun. The fact that you focus on the ONE breed that fucks up way way more people than everybody else says more about you than anything else.

Quote:
A five-year review of dog-bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, published in 2009 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, found that almost 51 percent of the attacks were from pit bulls, almost 9 percent were from Rottweilers and 6 percent were from mixes of those two bree
[/QUOTE]
19 Oct 2017
Old 16 December 2017, 21:06
Confirmed User

Pit bulls are tough as hell and strong head/neck. Shark dogs really.

Our new posting rules