Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 December 2017, 14:13
Combat Dorito

I grew up with Giant Schnauzers...great dogs, loyal, friendly...and originally bred as guard/attack dogs.

I have met quite a few great pitbulls, I do believe that the dog is not the problem, the owner is.

Having said that I want a Bouvier des Flanders. The dog that, reportedly, bit Hitler's testicle off. :)
Old 18 December 2017, 14:38
Confirmed User

Isn't that a conversation starter.

Me:
(meeting a pretty woman with pretty cocker spaniel)
Hello, blablabla, blebleble, what a beautiful spaniel!
Pretty woman: Thanks, what's that? Isn't that some sort of a herding dog?
Me: Yes, its Bouvier des Flandres. One of these dogs suppsoedly bit one of Hitler's balls off when he was in France during WWI.
Pretty woman: You creep!

(alternative version)
Pretty woman: That's so hot! Me so horny!
(happy ending)

When Hitler invaded France he reportedly tried to wage a personal holocaust against this breed which was supposed to be forever erased. This entire story is totally anecdotal (including an alternative version where he wanted to have Bouviers as guard dogs and one bit him in the hand during presentation).

I personally never heard about a Pitbull trying to bite someone's genitalia off, but I'm not that skewed to go and search for such info....Never mind. Found some.
Old 18 December 2017, 14:42
Confirmed User

I was hiking on a public trail the weekend of thanksgiving with my wife and daughter. We were walking up an incline while a guy and his grey pit were coming down. The dog started flipping out as soon as he saw us. So, we went off trail to avoid them both. The dog was literately dragging his owner towards us off trail. I took out some bear spray and shot the little fucker. The dog stopped being aggressive and the owner was cursing…I laughed at him and we went on our way.
Old 18 December 2017, 14:43
Authorized Personnel

I've never been bitten by a Pit, but I do have a couple of dimples on my leg from a Shepard that latched onto my leg when I was around 8. Sombitch didn't bark, snuck up behind me and wouldn't let go, dragged me several feet. Sort of my fault, as I was told to just keep walking and not pay any attention to it, bad advice.

I now have 'Charlie the wonder dog' a Havanese who is hypoallergenic, doesn't shed and needs very little exercise. She enjoys being in the car with me while we wait for momma in the store. Cute pup acts as a chick magnate, as all types come up to the window to pet or comment on her. On several occasions, as someone reaches in to touch her, she becomes either protective of me or she doesn't want that person in her space. She hasn't made contact with any body parts, yet. I smile when said person reaches toward her while asking if she bites. I would think that you would wait for an answer before exposing fingers to fangs.

I'm thankful that Pits aren't bred with Dachshunds.
Old 18 December 2017, 19:03
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
The dog was literately dragging his owner towards us off trail. I took out some bear spray and shot the little fucker. The dog stopped being aggressive and the owner was cursing…I laughed at him and we went on our way.
You taught that dog more in 2 seconds than it's owner likely ever will. Outstanding.
Old 19 December 2017, 00:03
Swimming Upstream

Good thing the guy got his gun, or the boy would be dead.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/crimestoppers/dog-shot-dead-by-neighbor-after-attacking-6-year-old-in-northwest-charlotte/499972601
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 19 December 2017, 00:32
Confirmed User

I will put in my $.02 for vicious breeds. The only one to get a taste of me (so far) was a Chow back when I was a teen. Lacking SA at the time, I did not realize that the skidder tire and logging chain that the critter was attached to was an indicator. I incorrectly read the wagging tail as a sign of friendliness, got within about five feet and realized I was looking down at a Chow that was suddenly attached to my thigh. Tail still wagging, no growling or nothing, just pure chomp. Left several puncture wounds and I vowed that would be the last time that was going to happen.
Old 19 December 2017, 01:58
Confirmed User

Purple36, what is your issue with with pits when I can do a search for German Shepard attacks and get all kind of horrifying hits like? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cked-dogs.html

Last edited by wowzers; 19 December 2017 at 02:07.
Old 19 December 2017, 05:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
no growling or nothing, just pure chomp
When dog is serious at going at you, some of them will not growl or show teeth. When shit hits the fan, most animals don't waste energy on threat displays. They intend to show you what they mean.

In nature, everything is calculated. If a dog is putting up a show, it basically spends some of its energy for the sake of posturing so it can escape or avoid spending more, or even losing its life, if rubber starts meeting the road.

Whenever I had a run-in with a problematic dog, I always backed off. Hands close to body, never turning back, never running. I managed to put several dogs in place by simply looking them in the eye, but I also met dogs that DGAF about that. So I usually try to appear disinterested and totally harmless. And I actually managed to get out of these situations without escalation.

But I was also attacked by dogs four times. From my experience, if you're faced with an attacking dog you can skip its head as a target altogether unless you have something like a baseball bat or steel rod and you are sure you will not miss. Dog's head evolved as a weapon and it is capable of surviving lots of punishment. Chest is fine if you have something to stab the attacking dog with, otherwise you will keep busting your knuckles against its ribs. Good luck with snapping the neck of an attacking pitbull or amstaff with all these muscles. Its belly and groin are where the softness lies and two times out of four I succeded in making dog dial down by kicking it in the stomach/groin area. Neither of them was a pitbull, BTW.

I've read or heard lots of tough stories about fighting and winning against an attacking dog but once it gets a grip on you it might be very bloody and possibly fatal. So for me the crucial issue is not allowing the attacking dog to get into physical contact with you. There are no sure ways of disabling an attacking dog (unless you have a gun and you won't miss). Also, some dogs get enough adrenaline in their system to never stop untill they're dead.
Old 19 December 2017, 06:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Purple36, what is your issue with with pits when I can do a search for German Shepard attacks and get all kind of horrifying hits like? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cked-dogs.html
How many deadly GSD attacks per year vs Pit Bulls?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dangerous-dogs

159 vs 6. And around 10x the number of registered GSDs .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 December 2017, 08:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
How many deadly GSD attacks per year vs Pit Bulls?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dangerous-dogs

159 vs 6. And around 10x the number of registered GSDs .
There isn't any source info for that link. How are you calculating that there are 10x the number of GSDs? I would wager pretty confidently that most dogs in the US are not registered so I don't know how you would even begin to compare populations accurately.

One of the big problems with "pit bull" attacks is a large number of pit bulls aren't even pit bulls. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...9002331500310X
Old 19 December 2017, 09:17

Idiot Dog Owners are the problem. I've been around lots of GSD's, Pitties, Rotties, ect....NEVER a problem with kids, other dogs, cats, or people. It's all about responsible ownership and training.
Old 19 December 2017, 09:28
Been There Done That

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2014.php

Sources listed.

Old 19 December 2017, 09:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Colleen is full of shit...

http://www.insuranceowl.org/bslnews/the-real-dog-bite-statistics-plus-media-myths-colleen-lynn-exposed/

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=123174&highlight=pit+bull&page=3
Old 19 December 2017, 09:35
Authorized Personnel

Who's defining the breeds for the CDC? What incentive do they have to be accurate?

Thing is. ...the stuff I read in the news about dog attacks of any breed belies my own experience.

Dogs can attack, big dogs can cause a lot more damage. Have personally seen more mal-adjusted and poorly behaved small dogs. They don't get reported because they can't do as much damage. People think it's "cute" when a weiner dog has an attitude.

Last edited by Gryfen-FL; 19 December 2017 at 10:02.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:01
Confirmed User

There is no difference between wanting to ban specific dog breeds for perceived danger and wanting to ban guns due to the perceived danger.

For every instance of a dog attack, there are thousands to tens of thousands of animals of that breed that have not attacked anyone.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:10
At the Barn

More Information on the Pit Bull Mauling

http://www.nbc12.com/story/37093192/...g-her-to-death

Investigators are also giving insight in the state of the dogs prior to Stephens' death.

"The dogs were a little bit neglected towards the end," says Sergeant Mike Blackwood.

He says the dogs were staying on the father's property, but Stephens did not live there full time. He says the animals were kept outside in the cold.

"She would come home maybe five times to her father's house a week on average and take the dogs out," says Blackwood. "And they became more isolated where the only contact they had was with each other and it was less and less human contact."

People are disgusting.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
What incentive do they have to be accurate
Or inaccurate...

I see large Dollar or Euro signs floating above, blessing everything with their sacred light. That would be the incentive IMO.

Sometimes I do wonder whether people need some bad sheep in every hobby or activity to lay blame on. We are spotless, it's them! I am probably wrong, but I have this sneaking suspicion.

I had two pitts. No cut ears, completely normal. Very strong but very friendly, well mannered once taught how the dynamic of a pack looks like in my house. Extremely loyal.
One of them was grabbed by its tail once by a very spoiled, bratty kid on the street. The dog basically looked at me, and his eyes said: "Can you please fix this? This is annoying, what the hell is this insolence?" I almost laughed out loud at his expression. But he did not bite nor growl. Both of them were taught to look up to me if things became problematic and I always resolved the problem for them. In short, they knew I was the guy in charge and no teeth were to be used until I said so. Neither of them was aggressive anyway, more like confident in their strength. Maybe I had two non-standard Pitbulls.

My take is that people buy this breed of dogs and either raise them improperly or simply try their best to make their dog to be the ultimate barrel-chested mofo that walks along its wannabe owner and boosts his rep. I also know two frail women who owned a pitbull. Needless to say, what these women could do with a muscle-bound dog that did not fear them and basically it walked them not the other way around? If dog is clueless, confused, spoiled and on top of this primed consciously or subconsiously by its owner towards aggression, this thing will manifest itself IMO...a long time ago a very old and very wise person told me that a dog is a mirror image of its owner.

Last edited by Paul85; 19 December 2017 at 10:22.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:19
Authorized Personnel

Take a look at Wowzers article. A study "pitted" a group of shelter workers visual identification skills against DNA tests. Truth be told I couldn't have done better. That cattle dog had me fooled.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Colleen is full of shit...

http://www.insuranceowl.org/bslnews/the-real-dog-bite-statistics-plus-media-myths-colleen-lynn-exposed/

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=123174&highlight=pit+bull&page=3
Yeah, all those news reports of pit bull attacking and killing must be fake news. A pro pit bull site trying to debunk the facts - it is a good breed, just the owners. Yeah right. The dog breed has in its nature to attack and kill. Glad there are some cities that ban the breed, and don't try to use the analogy with banning firearms, An inanimate object that can not operate on its own.

You own a pit bull, you are owning a time bomb that probably will go off, why take a chance? Every time I read the news about a violent dog attack, it always seems to be a pit bull. Yeah maybe has something to do with owners, as does seem most that own are trailer park white trash, gangbangers, meth heads, etc. So why want to be lumped into that category? Yes, I am all for eliminating the breed, as I see it as a threat. Those of you with small children, would you want a neighbor that owns a pit bull or a Irish setter/beagle/Boston terrier/etc..?

I find it kind of ironic that some who are pro pit bull also believe ok to ban all immigrant/muslims from some select countries to be safe, regardless if a few good ones or not. But pit bulls? It is a lovable breed, just bad owners . They attack no more than any other dog. Yeah, ok.. I am done, enjoy your pit bull, hope you have good insurance.

Our new posting rules