Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 18 January 2018, 16:03
Confirmed User

FLu symptoms and best OTC meds?

Since flu is abound, and many have died according to media, what are the easy symptoms to see? And what is the best course of action if you dont go to doctors? Can you get a flu shot being sick with the flu?
Old 18 January 2018, 16:07
Anesthetized User

This is complex, each case is different and should not be managed over the net. While I understand you/they may not want to go to the hospital, please go see a Physician, PA or NP.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 18 January 2018, 16:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
This is complex, each case is different and should not be managed over the net. While I understand you/they may not want to go to the hospital, please go see a Physician, PA or NP.
Its not me, its my hard headed grand babys dad. I told my daughter he needs to go in, due to the baby. I told her if he doesnt she needs to keep baby in her Grandmas house down the road..
Old 18 January 2018, 16:27
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Its not me, its my hard headed grand babys dad. I told my daughter he needs to go in, due to the baby. I told her if he doesnt she needs to keep baby in her Grandmas house down the road..
No worries, but this is not something to F around with. I am not trying to be an uncaring ass so please forgive me if I seem short with my posts. I cannot stress enough the need to be seen by an advanced level practitioner.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 18 January 2018, 16:29
Authorized Personnel

One of my buds just got over it and it put him flat on his back for 5 days.
Old 18 January 2018, 16:42
Confirmed User

I am pushing it now with family.. Hopefully he will at least go to a Doc in the Box..
Old 18 January 2018, 17:30
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Since flu is abound, and many have died according to media, what are the easy symptoms to see? And what is the best course of action if you dont go to doctors? Can you get a flu shot being sick with the flu?
Re: Signs & Symptoms: Runny nose, cough, sore throat, aches and pains, fatigue (CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/consumer/symptoms.htm)

Re: No MD Visit: Good hygiene, e.g. wash linens, hands, and reduce or avoid close contact with others to reduce spread. Lysol or Clorox wipe handles, e.g. doors, oven, refrig, etc. OTC meds: Alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 2 hours to break or reduce fever. Sudafed for congestion. Robitussin DM to break up lung butter. Hot totties are great in the evening. Advice - Convince him to stop being selfish and think of others he's exposing (seems you already are).

Re: Flu Shot: If he has a fever, have to wait for the shot. The shot is a preventative, not treatment. It is reported per CDC to be 39% effective (better than 0% though).
If it is Flu, he would be treated with Tamiflu.
If not legit Flu, many MDs give antibiotics that aren't necessary for a virus. Advice - Tell him to get shot when at the MD office.

Good luck. Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands.
Old 18 January 2018, 17:41
Confirmed User

Thankx. I think I have TamiFlu in Safe. So, if he is given that, I will have some at the ready, even though my arse would go see my Doc.
Old 18 January 2018, 20:52
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Thankx. I think I have TamiFlu in Safe. So, if he is given that, I will have some at the ready, even though my arse would go see my Doc.
Steve, I know you asked for advice medically. Everything that needs to be said about that has been well covered by the Family of Medics. My voice here would only echo what all my peers have so eloquently shared.

I also know you are all over this, but the key take away for me amongst this advice was this:
Quote:
Convince him to stop being selfish and think of others he's exposing (seems you already are)
If there is small child/ren involved, perhaps he can be reasoned with by approaching from the direction of acknowledging his ability to work through this with no help, but, how is he going to live within himself if he was to cause the contamination of his own flesh and blood. Child/ren who are too young to have the immunity and strength to fight this off and who could quite easily die.

Sometimes, it is simply enough to change the approach to have people see reason.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 18 January 2018, 20:56
Confirmed User

We have separated the grand baby at Great Grandma and Grandpas house. My wife is pissed. Selfish little shit.
But, my daughter is taking him in the morning. She knows this is not cool, and she also knows she may have to be seen too as she will, if has flu, be contaminated too.
You guys rock. Nothing like calling real medics/corpsman. I have a friend who was a FMS Corpsman, retired Senior Chief. Whenever I can, I call him for advice. Thanks again, Steve
Old 18 January 2018, 21:04

Quote:
We have separated the grand baby at Great Grandma and Grandpas house. My wife is pissed. Selfish little shit.
But, my daughter is taking him in the morning. She knows this is not cool, and she also knows she may have to be seen too as she will, if has flu, be contaminated too.
You guys rock. Nothing like calling real medics/corpsman. I have a friend who was a FMS Corpsman, retired Senior Chief. Whenever I can, I call him for advice. Thanks again, Steve
Well a positive step but a shame it got to that. Pride is a huge obstacle for most of us men and I am as guilty as the next bloke.

Cheers,

Lest We Forget.
Old 18 January 2018, 21:18
Confirmed User

Wife's a nurse.
If you need to take the sicky to the Dr's/Hospital, fit with a mask, they will be grateful. Antibiotics do not work. Bring down temperature, paracetamol/ibuprofen, keep airways open, Vicks is good, bathe in cool water but don't overdo it. Many dead in Aus and NZ, UK near critical. "Spanish Flu" killed more than the cumulative efforts of WW1 and WW2 combined.
Old 19 January 2018, 00:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
One of my buds just got over it and it put him flat on his back for 5 days.
20 days and 3 trips to the Doc and I am finally starting to work again.

I was hacking so hard that I passed out. Next morning I was at the Walk-in Clinic getting looked at.
Old 19 January 2018, 04:56
Confirmed User

A Canadian friend use Jack Daniels with honey.

Tamiflu is not effective per Consumer Reports.

If you got a Flu shot today, it will take two spread to be effective.
Old 19 January 2018, 06:01
Confirmed User

I will update everyone today if dumbass goes in..
Old 19 January 2018, 22:21
Confirmed User

Finally got him in Influenza A. He is such a pos, didnt even ask if its contagious, timeframe. Nothing.
Old 20 January 2018, 06:45
BTDT

2015-2016 had 85 Pediatric deaths due to Influenza. So far this season (40 weeks at this point in time) there have been 30 pediatric deaths reported to be from Influenza (CDC Weekly Surveillance Report). Do what they ^ said, but I wouldn't go off of what the television says, as far as worrying that "many have died". Average is 30-40K per year - about the same as dying in a car crash (and not everyone gets in a car, but everyone can get the flu).
Old 20 January 2018, 06:59
Confirmed User

Thanks Polypro. My daughter and grandbaby are at inlaws. She came over twice yesterday and clorox wiped and sprayed lysol everywhere he was. Bedroom bathroom, hallways, front door, his truck. She is not screwing around. We had to have this grown ass mans Mommy come get him, and his sister was pissed. She is a pharmacist.. Whats wrong with some people. You have a baby, your sick, and you dont want to find out what it is. Shake My Head.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:25

Quote:
Thanks Polypro. My daughter and grandbaby are at inlaws. She came over twice yesterday and clorox wiped and sprayed lysol everywhere he was. Bedroom bathroom, hallways, front door, his truck. She is not screwing around. We had to have this grown ass mans Mommy come get him, and his sister was pissed. She is a pharmacist.. Whats wrong with some people. You have a baby, your sick, and you dont want to find out what it is. Shake My Head.
"It can't happen to me" syndrome aka "I can't be told" syndrome.

If I had 20 guys turn up to my RAP for a sick parade in flu season, 5x of the fuckers were displaying symptoms of this syndrome. Another 2x of the fuckers would be in the "My - insert-mum/sister/ex-wife's new b/f --- is a medical professional and they told me XYZ is now ABC and I need antibiotics" syndrome!

Hard call with the baby present and my medical plan would be to prescribe a bitch slap from his Momma.

Cheers,

Lest We Forget.
Old 23 January 2018, 19:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
"It can't happen to me" syndrome aka "I can't be told" syndrome.

If I had 20 guys turn up to my RAP for a sick parade in flu season, 5x of the fuckers were displaying symptoms of this syndrome. Another 2x of the fuckers would be in the "My - insert-mum/sister/ex-wife's new b/f --- is a medical professional and they told me XYZ is now ABC and I need antibiotics" syndrome!

Hard call with the baby present and my medical plan would be to prescribe a bitch slap from his Momma.

Cheers,
Thats so true. One day it will bite him in the ass. That grand baby is my first priority in this house, for health and safety..

Our new posting rules