Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 22 January 2018, 23:34
Been There Done That

4-80 +38

I was horse back moving cows with a young man today that said it was cold 21f (and it was), I told him that it was a walk in the park compared to Ranger School. I then went on to tell him how cold it was 38 years ago. B 2/75 will remember. I am sure some of the Old Hooahs will recognize some of the guys in the pic and one very special Marine on the fourth row left side third in Gen Joe Dunford ( Fighten Joe ) then a young Captian. Long damn time ago and some of the best men on the planet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.8 KB, 472 views)
Old 17 March 2018, 18:29
Old Scroll

The Ranger with glasses directly under the R in Ranger, 4th row back, is Mike Middlewood, my old roomie. He went on to Charlie airborne for another tour.

That ice storm that they kept us out in was unbelievable. No warm up tent for us. Hell no. Nearly two inches of ice on your ruck, buckles frozen shut, even if the RI said "get on wet weather gear or snivel gear" you wouldn't be able to unless you cut the straps. Green cotton fatigues soaked to the skin, and if the patrol stopped for more than 15 minutes your clothes were frozen solid until you moved enough to generate enough body heat to thaw the ice and you're still completely soaked. I still can't imagine how nobody died that night. Really. If someone were to drone out and fall asleep they would have been dead pretty quickly.

All I wanted for my birthday on 6 Feb 80 was a C Rat pound cake, and all I got was frostbite on both hands... was lucky I didn't loose any digits, but was also lucky I got to be a med recycle all the way back to Day 1 for Class 9-80, in the heat wave.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 March 2018, 08:07
Been There Done That

I am in that picture as well. My memories of Ranger school class 4-80 (and the Ice Storm in particular) are endless mind numbing cold, shrinking your entire thought processes deep internal, and placing one foot ahead of the other one.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 19 March 2018, 17:07
Been There Done That

Back when it was hard....yeah, yeah we get it.

Yeah. Froze my Ass off in mountains also and as b 2/75 stated, it is surprising there are not a lot of cold weather related deaths. Ranger in the sky must be looking out over Dalanega.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 March 2018, 21:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
I am in that picture as well. My memories of Ranger school class 4-80 (and the Ice Storm in particular) are endless mind numbing cold, shrinking your entire thought processes deep internal, and placing one foot ahead of the other one.
Was it Frankie Carbone cold?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26169014_10215114375876896_798243579981971726_n.jpg (38.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 19 March 2018, 21:12
Old Scroll

You're Fuckin' A right it was

4-80 had about 20 frostbite cases. One guy lost all of his toes.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 March 2018, 21:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
You're Fuckin' A right it was

4-80 had about 20 frostbite cases. One guy lost all of his toes.
I went to 7-00 and while it wasn't cold, I was a Marine and the Class SgtMaj, so I got more than my share of getting scuffed up.
Old 20 March 2018, 08:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmur275 View Post
I am sure some of the Old Hooahs will recognize some of the guys in the pic and one very special Marine on the fourth row left side third in Gen Joe Dunford ( Fighten Joe ) then a young Captian. Long damn time ago and some of the best men on the planet
I remember seeing that pic hanging in his den.
Old 20 March 2018, 09:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
I went to 7-00 and while it wasn't cold...
I was class 8-00 and it got a little chilly one night!
Old 20 March 2018, 10:10
Been There Done That

I remember cold nights as a stud in class 7, but walking patrols in Dahlonega from 85 tom 90, I remember some really suck ass nights. I was walking with Chuck (Preaher) Keith the nights we got 18" of snow. We were on the North side of the TVD and had to go up and over when they called all the patrols back in to within a mile of camp. Studs falling and bouncing off trees as they fell. Amazed we made it in with no broken bones or dead Rangers.

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 20 March 2018, 10:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmur275 View Post
I am sure some of the Old Hooahs will recognize some of the guys in the pic and one very special Marine on the fourth row left side third in Gen Joe Dunford ( Fighten Joe ) then a young Captian. Long damn time ago and some of the best men on the planet
As B 2/75 said, there were a lot of med drops and recycles after the mountains. I ended up with the other Marine from the class as my Ranger buddy in Florida. Sgt Eric? Strahl a recon Marine and very squared away individual.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80

Our new posting rules