Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 February 2018, 20:35
Confirmed User

Financial market turmoil

Has anyone been looking at their 401k/IRA's? 10Y treasury crack 2.75 and then the market dropped 500 Friday and another 1200 today. I suspect today's activity was the result of etf/algorithmic selling.

Some say this is the catalyst but this next week should be telling especially, if we don't have a bump tmw.

Anyone else in the market have any thoughts?
Old 5 February 2018, 21:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Anyone else in the market have any thoughts?
Buy low - sell high...

The trend is your friend...
Old 5 February 2018, 21:24
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Buy low - sell high...

Yep... haven't touched my 401K, but I bought back into the market today with my play investments. If the market keeps going down I'll increase my contributions in my 401K to max.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 5 February 2018, 21:29
Confirmed User

Considering the Dow is still in the mid 20K's I think its a bump to watch but not an indicator that I should move my % of funds out unless the trend continues. It might slide a little more and then stabilize. Heard that a Fox news reporter was yelling that the sky is falling.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 5 February 2018, 21:33
Been There Done That

Stocks were too high and the market is due for a correction. Interest rates are coming up and people are retreating to bonds with guaranteed returns.

Add in to the equation the monetary supply was inflated by QE1, QE2, QEi, and it is time to find a safe haven until the market corrects.

Past performance is no guarantee. JMHO.
Old 5 February 2018, 21:36

This is what the market does. If it didn't move there would be no money to be made. I am all in and not changing anything. I will still make money, and if it stays down for a couple of dividend cycles I will be buying shares on sale.
Old 5 February 2018, 21:44
Drawing my cutlass

In for the long haul, no changes.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 5 February 2018, 21:52
Confirmed User

The market literally, not figuratively, was looking like a hockey stick the last few years. The growth was absolutely unreal and completely fake, IMO. A 26000 DOW is ridiculous. This market is so juiced to the gills by fed dark pool money that the largest numerical drop in stock market history (yes, EVER) didn't trigger any of the auto killswitches. That should tell you something.

We would have to have an entire week of similar magnitude sell offs to get down to fair market value, IMO. If brokers aren't flinging themselves off of rooftops, then chances are there's not really that much to be worried about. Not yet anyway. I've been in the "economic collapse" mindset since the FED started Q1 back in the day, and still believe it's going to happen. Just don't think this is it (yet).

Otherwise, looks like that economist magazine cover was a prophecy after all....
Old 5 February 2018, 21:59
Another pool cleaner

Well...my correspondence with the Nigerian prince who needs a money transfer came at just the right time.

Good thing I was able to cash my 401k and help out my Nigerian friend. Hopefully, I'll be seeing my entire retirement fund triple in about 1-2 wks as soon as my wire transfer gets that trapped money out of Nigeria.

Bitcoin & Dow Jones can suck it!
Old 5 February 2018, 22:12
Confirmed User

I’ve been expecting a correction so I’ve been playing it conservative the last year. I’m in it for the long haul, but I also have cash to pump in once it hits bottom.
Old 5 February 2018, 22:56
**** Cancer

We're way over due for a correction. Good buy-in prices.

The Dow futures for March were in the low 24000s. So, I still expect a bit more a sell off.
"Away with the whims of governmental administrators, their socialized projects, their centralization, their tariffs, their government schools, their state religions, their free credit, their bank monopolies, their regulations, their restrictions, their equalization by taxation, and their pious moralizations!"

~ Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by Steve83; 5 February 2018 at 23:10.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:33
Administrator

I have gotten creamed in the past two days. I am down maybe 7%. Need to remain disciplined....the dollars are real and it is oh so tempting to cash out to stay the bleeding.....stay on target, stay on target.....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 6 February 2018, 00:02
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14309564/1/federal-reserve-system.html

The CEO of Euro Pacific Capital is openly saying that the market dive may be intentional sabotage by Federal Reserve leaders seeking to undermine POTUS Trump by kneecapping the economic gains brought by his tax policies. Note that this is not a conspiracy theory being floated by a dude who lives in a van down by the river, but by a businessman with a net worth north of $70 million. His take is that if POTUS is emboldened by his party gaining seats in Congress he may feel confident enough to audit the Fed, and the most effective way for them to decrease the likelihood of any of that is to induce a recession through election day.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 6 February 2018, 00:26
Authorized Personnel

This is all noise. The market goes up and down but has consistently gone up for around a hundred years through the Great Depression, two world wars, the mortgage crisis, etc. This is nothing and I'm not remotely considering changing a thing. If anyone knew when to sell they'd have done it already. Here's an interesting article on the ups and downs of the market.

http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014...-market-timer/
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 6 February 2018, 01:38
Calix Meus Inebrians

The markets are realizing that the economy was showing enough consistency that the spigot of easy money from the Fed is much more likely to come to a close. Guess we'll see if the economy can sustain itself without near zero interest loan money pouring into the banks from Uncle Sugar.
Old 6 February 2018, 01:47
Authorized Personnel

Perspective:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...300-2018-02-05
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 6 February 2018, 01:51
Confirmed User

In 2008 governments around the world stuck a band aid on a gangrenous limb, the worst is yet to come. The reason that the stock markets around were so high is because corporations themselves were purchasing their own shares. A bit like tumbler making coins out of thin air in order to purchase bitcoin.
You couldn't make this shit up.
Old 6 February 2018, 04:45
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Buy low - sell high...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Stocks were too high and the market is due for a correction. Interest rates are coming up and people are retreating to bonds with guaranteed returns.

Add in to the equation the monetary supply was inflated by QE1, QE2, QEi, and it is time to find a safe haven until the market corrects.

Past performance is no guarantee. JMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
In for the long haul, no changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
This is all noise. The market goes up and down but has consistently gone up for around a hundred years through the Great Depression, two world wars, the mortgage crisis, etc. This is nothing and I'm not remotely considering changing a thing. If anyone knew when to sell they'd have done it already. Here's an interesting article on the ups and downs of the market.

http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014...-market-timer/
“That’s a bingo”. I’m DCAing my 401k throughout the year and have some buys planned. My only issue is pulling liquidity out from another planned investment to put in the market when it corrects. All I see are opportunities.
Old 6 February 2018, 09:42
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I have gotten creamed in the past two days. I am down maybe 7%. Need to remain disciplined....the dollars are real and it is oh so tempting to cash out to stay the bleeding.....stay on target, stay on target.....
Soooo, I've had 50K in savings...and thought WTH is it doing in savings? I need to put it into mutual funds. Just transferred everything into 3 Vanguard index funds....and then this happened not 3 days later.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 6 February 2018, 09:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
https://www.thestreet.com/story/14309564/1/federal-reserve-system.html

The CEO of Euro Pacific Capital is openly saying that the market dive may be intentional sabotage by Federal Reserve leaders seeking to undermine POTUS Trump by kneecapping the economic gains brought by his tax policies.
Yeah, I thought it was odd that the stock market was hammered the very day the memo was released. Then Monday, when POTUS announced aboard AF1 that a new probe into the FBI and DOJ was approved the market takes it's biggest loss in history. All against the Deep State/Shadow govt which has it's org chart stretching across govt and private firms, giving it significantly more capability than if it were just contained to either of those two sectors alone.

Of course, it's all just "conspiretard tin foil theories!!!" **insert seal barking/clapping here** and nothing like that could ever happen in this country. Ever. Because reasons I was told on TV.

Our new posting rules