SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 February 2018, 19:56
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Hey, at least we ain't the guys over in the bitcoin thread. THAT's tumultuous.
Don't worry, I'm gettin beat up in the crypto market as well... might as well just call it the crypt market because that's where it's headed... damn.
Old 8 February 2018, 20:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Hey, at least we ain't the guys over in the bitcoin thread. THAT's tumultuous.
Old 8 February 2018, 21:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I just made my IRA contribution for the year. Hopefully the world doesn't end.
Down 1000 points....lol

This is probably my fourth major crash as an adult.

Keep contributing and ride it out. You're buying low.
Old 8 February 2018, 21:43
Policeman Officer

Since I'm not anywhere close to retirement I'm not concerned at the all. As I get closer I'll change to bonds and all that. Btw I hate the Mass SMART plan, it sucks so bad.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 February 2018, 21:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Since I'm not anywhere close to retirement I'm not concerned at the all. As I get closer I'll change to bonds and all that. Btw I hate the Mass SMART plan, it sucks so bad.
It’s not the best, but it’s a good addition to the pension and it’s pretax.
Old 8 February 2018, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Itís not the best, but itís a good addition to the pension and itís pretax.
I use it to bring down my taxable income more than anything else. I figure whatever I squirrel away wouldíve gone to Uncle Sam instead.
Old 8 February 2018, 23:01
Confirmed User

Back around 2009, I remember a conversation I had with a retired lady. She had lost about 60% of her life savings in the market upset. I took three things away from that conversation.

First, don't risk what you can't afford to lose.
Second, watch the weather.
Third, don't get in a boat with someone whose only plan is to "ride it out."

About two years ago, I took my profits and pulled back from the markets. But I have been setting aside funds to take advantage of the next correction when it comes. I'll see where this goes, and when it bottoms out, I'll throw some back in, but only what I can afford to lose.
Old 8 February 2018, 23:51
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
I use it to bring down my taxable income more than anything else. I figure whatever I squirrel away wouldíve gone to Uncle Sam instead.
The shitty thing is that the only way we can access 401k accounts is through the state, the funds are more expensive that what you could get as an individual and they're a pain in the ass to deal with. They added index funds a few years ago and they were far, far more expensive than through the private sector, and even now that the expense ratio has dropped a little they're still more expensive than Vanguard or any number of other places.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 8 February 2018, 23:53
?

Just told the wife I kind of hope it does go down some more and stay down for a little while. I'll max out my contributions to my 401K and buy on the cheap. Probably 30+ years before I'll draw any out so I'm sure it isn't the last crash I'll encounter.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 9 February 2018, 10:11
Administrator

I basically had everything split equally between C,S, and I funds. Looks like I have lost 3% as of this AM. I just moved everything into the G Fund until things settle down.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 February 2018, 10:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John6719 View Post
Just told the wife I kind of hope it does go down some more and stay down for a little while. I'll max out my contributions to my 401K and buy on the cheap. Probably 30+ years before I'll draw any out so I'm sure it isn't the last crash I'll encounter.
That's a healthy attitude to maintain. I've been making the maximum annual contributions to an IRA since 1983. There have been a few sickening dips over the last 35-years, but sticking to it and not panicking pay off in the long run. I'm personally not too bothered by the last few days corrections. The market has been way over heated for the last year and I've felt like I was standing next to a pressure cooker. The pressure relief valve has now opened up and vented a lot of steam. So far, it's knocked me back to about 1 December 17, so it really isn't too much to complain about. My outlook is improving and I'm getting set to start making my 2018 Roth and Spousal IRA contributions.
Old 9 February 2018, 11:58
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
That's a healthy attitude to maintain. I've been making the maximum annual contributions to an IRA since 1983. There have been a few sickening dips over the last 35-years, but sticking to it and not panicking pay off in the long run. I'm personally not too bothered by the last few days corrections. The market has been way over heated for the last year and I've felt like I was standing next to a pressure cooker. The pressure relief valve has now opened up and vented a lot of steam. So far, it's knocked me back to about 1 December 17, so it really isn't too much to complain about. My outlook is improving and I'm getting set to start making my 2018 Roth and Spousal IRA contributions.
Sound advice right there.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 9 February 2018, 16:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I do not believe corporations would be doing buy backs if the fundamentals were as sound as every talking head on TV proclaims them to be. You do buy backs if you want to give the illusion that your company is doing good, while not actually expanding infrastructure (in addition to getting bonuses and other personal goodies).

If the fundamentals were great, companies would be using the cheap money to expand their business and labor pool. But they're not. Should be obvious that things aren't as great as that nasty hag Yellen says they are. They lie and manipulate numbers and formulas so much to fit agendas that no one knows the truth. Those that attempt to calculate the 'real' truth aren't painting a rosy picture.
Corporations do buybacks and stock issuances on a fairly regular basis, for example as a form of compensation.

Generally, corporations do large buybacks when their cost of growth, measured as a blend of equity and debt, is more expensive than the return they'd receive through the growth, whether that's an acquisition, building a plant, etc. When a corporation and it's board of directors reach that point and the cost of growth exceeds the return from that expansion, the board's mandate is to represent shareholders and can return money to the owners.

While that's general and academic, companies can use buybacks to juice their stock price, but that lasts until next quarter and markets will adjust the company's price accordingly.
Old 9 February 2018, 16:56
Administrator

Got a little love today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Love.JPG (10.9 KB, 173 views)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 9 February 2018, 21:21
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Got a little love today...
Dinner on you?
Old 9 February 2018, 23:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Dinner on you?
I need about a dozen days like today to get back to where I was two weeks ago....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 9 February 2018, 23:50
Policeman Officer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I basically had everything split equally between C,S, and I funds. Looks like I have lost 3% as of this AM. I just moved everything into the G Fund until things settle down.
I know I'm a broken record on this topic but making moves due to what the market is doing is almost always a bad idea.

Old 10 February 2018, 01:04
Administrator

Quote:
I know I'm a broken record on this topic but making moves due to what the market is doing is almost always a bad idea.
Yeah I get it, but not like I cashed out. G fund is just the bond market. I'm just taking my money out of play temporarily. I would rather lose a little on the bounce back up than take the risk of watching 1/3 of my TSP disappear again. From what I am reading this is very likely not anywhere near being over with yet. Once things calm down I will just move it back where it was at.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 10 February 2018, 02:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post

Generally, corporations do large buybacks when their cost of growth, measured as a blend of equity and debt, is more expensive than the return they'd receive through the growth, whether that's an acquisition, building a plant, etc. When a corporation and it's board of directors reach that point and the cost of growth exceeds the return from that expansion, the board's mandate is to represent shareholders and can return money to the owners.

While that's general and academic, companies can use buybacks to juice their stock price, but that lasts until next quarter and markets will adjust the company's price accordingly.
So in other words, they play little accounting tricks to make their company look more valuable than it really is?

-SOTB
Old 10 February 2018, 11:08
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Yeah I get it, but not like I cashed out. G fund is just the bond market. I'm just taking my money out of play temporarily. I would rather lose a little on the bounce back up than take the risk of watching 1/3 of my TSP disappear again. From what I am reading this is very likely not anywhere near being over with yet. Once things calm down I will just move it back where it was at.
I just did the same...just to stop the loss, in case it keeps going down. G Fund is Government Securities, F is the Bond Fund.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

Our new posting rules