SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 February 2018, 23:08
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
He said during the post-flight press conference (livestreamed on ABC) that it hit the drink at 500 km/h due to running out of triethylborane, which is used to restart the engine.
Well, doesn't sound like the toughest fix. I read only one of 3 req'd engines restarted, had not heard the triethylborane part.

Last edited by IronCross; 6 February 2018 at 23:24. Reason: clarity
Old 6 February 2018, 23:22
Vivat Fraternitatis

Multiple sightings from west coast US indicate the trans-Mars injection burn is complete.
Old 6 February 2018, 23:41
Did...did I do that?

Just read about the loss of the center core, and that it also damaged the drone ship when it landed. Still an outstanding effort by the entire team. Thoroughly impressed by what I saw today.
Old 7 February 2018, 05:41
Confirmed User

Was watching the web cast, and hootin and hollering...what a show. Missus didn't understand, which was sad...

I couldn't stop laughing with the "Don't Panic" mounted on the dash, and my guess is that the spaceman brought a towel.
Old 7 February 2018, 09:12
pumpin gas and kickin ass

So long and thanks for all the fish!
Old 7 February 2018, 09:16
Authorized Personnel

It was a very cool launch. The car and spaceman were just cherries on top.
Old 7 February 2018, 11:38
Combat Dorito

This was definitely one for the books! We were half expecting the "dude" in the roadster to wave as the rocket left the atmosphere!
Old 7 February 2018, 12:06
Confirmed User

Did anyone hear if SpaceX had the dummy wired to test any functionality of their space suit?
Old 7 February 2018, 12:09

So the car has cameras on it. It would be awesome if they periodically could take a picture of the car/dummy as it orbits to check on the damage done to the car. "Bulletholes" in the windshield from micro-meteorites would be pretty sweet to see. Sooner or later it's going to look like a Crip donk in a Blood neighborhood (I suspect), so a time lapse would be neat. Wonder how the paint job holds up ---- I've heard the American flag on the moon by now has turned white from being bleached by the sun.
Old 7 February 2018, 12:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
So the car has cameras on it. It would be awesome if they periodically could take a picture of the car/dummy as it orbits to check on the damage done to the car. "Bulletholes" in the windshield from micro-meteorites would be pretty sweet to see. Sooner or later it's going to look like a Crip donk in a Blood neighborhood (I suspect), so a time lapse would be neat. Wonder how the paint job holds up ---- I've heard the American flag on the moon by now has turned white from being bleached by the sun.
Final engine stage overshot and the car is now in route to the asteroid belt.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/961083704230674438

It will see plenty of impacts I would assume.

Hopefully it doesn't upset the orbit of anything large enough to come back and intersect with Earth orbit.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 7 February 2018, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
Hopefully it does upset the orbit of anything large enough to come back and intersect with Earth orbit.
fixed.

Seriously check out how cool this friggin picture is on that twitter feed you linked:

If we can't get a time lapse, then I hope musk has that thing constantly streaming data back to a server so we can watch it smash into stuff at relativistic speeds. But that spacesuit looks super scifi as well. I read that MIT was working on a mesh compression suit that would help to slim down the stay-puff suits currently in use since forever. Those Gemini suits did look pretty cool, FWIW.
Old 7 February 2018, 12:40
Administrator

From what I read, the battery to power the cameras in the car was only good for a few days and died around 3am EST today.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 February 2018, 12:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
fixed.

Seriously check out how cool this friggin picture is on that twitter feed you linked:

If we can't get a time lapse, then I hope musk has that thing constantly streaming data back to a server so we can watch it smash into stuff at relativistic speeds. But that spacesuit looks super scifi as well. I read that MIT was working on a mesh compression suit that would help to slim down the stay-puff suits currently in use since forever. Those Gemini suits did look pretty cool, FWIW.
Love the Easter Eggs that SpaceX put in there as well. "Don't Panic"

I wonder if the roadster has a towel as well.

This spaceflight was certainly high on the cool factor. However the public information shows there were some details missed that will delay any manned missions till they are resolved. Overshooting the orbit to Mars and landing in the Asteroid Belt is not a small margin of error when it comes to sending astronauts up.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 7 February 2018, 13:41
Drawing my cutlass

For those of you youngsters who are wondering why us senior guys are referencing Heavy Metal with knowing smiles take a gander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy_XJpI6uk

I know one very large breasted woman who was super happy I took her to see it at some long shuttered kaserne back when
M60A3s ruled West Germany.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 7 February 2018, 14:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
For those of you youngsters who are wondering why us senior guys are referencing Heavy Metal with knowing smiles take a gander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy_XJpI6uk

I know one very large breasted woman who was super happy I took her to see it at some long shuttered kaserne back when
M60A3s ruled West Germany.
Best soundtrack ever.

-ZZ Top
Old 7 February 2018, 14:25
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQE1Q1NILfQ

-ZZ Top
Old 7 February 2018, 14:26
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Best soundtrack ever.
Indeed. Second guessing Musk, I'm surprised he didn't go with any of the songs from the soundtrack. It would have been awesome if "Heavy Metal" by Don Felder began playing and a green orb appeared over the hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELUP-oZQKM4

Even the Sammy Hagar version would have been good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtBcwDY9D_M

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 7 February 2018, 14:27
Confirmed User

Some info

The Core sections rockets didn't all light in the decent profile and impacted at around 300mph and 300ft away. Once the cameras are recovered(if intact) will be made public. It wasnt going to be reused anyways, the boosters were more important to recover. The side boosters will not be reused as they are block 3s upgraded to block 4s, upgraded to test some new block 5 parts(like titanium grid fins). Soon block 5 will be the final upgrade for full reusability(building about 20 this year and Kimberchick yes SpaceX is hiring). The Falcon Heavy is about 90mil and a F9 is about 60mil per shot. There will be more FH launches in 3-6mo. After this launch most resources will be focused on B.F.R. and Dragon.

The space suit wasn't rigged for testing. The car over shot but it is literally a real car with no way to control its trajectory. Imagine taking one shot at a very small target very far away, it was close

Easter Egg here is a hot wheels tesla with starman mounted on the interior dash.

Last edited by thatkindasux; 7 February 2018 at 14:36.
Old 7 February 2018, 14:31
Nec Aspera Terrent

The launch was truly spectacular to watch - would been cool to see it in person like some friends, especially those from SpaceX who had a view from within the KSC after they got off their shift.

Ah well - real-time feed on a big monitor works well. Some amazing video and photos taken by professional and amateur viewers. This was a tremendous achievement by the US - and a step closer to making spaceflight and launches even more affordable as well as the return of America to the moon, and onto Mars and beyond.

- Morelocks - yeah actually Elon did put a towel in the glove box. He had a towel, a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and also an HD with Issac Asimov's Foundation series put in there as well.

The core stage rand out of ignitor fuel - TEA TEB for two of the three re-entry engines so it impacted the water right by the ASDS barge at 300 mph. Took out two of the ASDS' engines but it's all repairable - for the barge. Suffice to say, that core first stage is nothing more than twisted and melted aluminum and bits of composites all over the Atlantic.

Not that bad though... This first FH core stage was built for the maiden launch but used older Block 3 components. All future FH's will be based on the much improved Block 5 instead that will fly in the spring.

I'm still trying to figure-out if it was a bit of cheeky fun by Elon and SpaceX or a really cool oopsie... The 2nd stage with Starman and the Roadster won't be going towards Mars in that hybrid sorta Sun - fly somewhat near Mars orbit. It's actually going out towards an asteroid field further out in our solar system!

I think that is great though. Why? Because it shows the massive power of Falcon Heavy. It was designed to be able to hurl a 7700lb payload out to Pluto! As in - a burn towards it - no need to use celestial bodies in a slingshot effect to do so!

Awesome. This was uploaded by Elon on his Twitter account around 2300 EST yesterday.

DVZ0h3YW4AIc-9w.jpg large.jpg

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 7 February 2018, 14:32
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Beat me to it.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Our new posting rules