SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 February 2018, 14:34
Nec Aspera Terrent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindasux View Post
The Core sections rockets didn't all light in the decent profile and impacted at around 300mph and 300ft away. Once the cameras are recovered(if intact) will be made public. It wasnt going to be reused anyways, the boosters were more important to recover. The side boosters will not be reused as they are block 3s upgraded to block 4s, upgraded to test some new block 5 parts(like titanium grid fins). Soon block 5 will be the final upgrade for full reusability(building about 20 this year and Kimberchick yes SpaceX is hiring). The Falcon Heavy is about 90mil and a F9 is about 60mil per shot. There will be more FH launches in 3-6mo. After this launch most resources will be focused on B.F.R. and Dream Catcher.

The space suit wasn't rigged for testing. The car over shot but it is literally a real car with no way to control its trajectory. Imagine taking one shot at a very small target very far away, it was close

Easter Egg here is a hot wheels tesla with starman mounted on the interior dash.
Elon said they are focusing on BFR as well as trying to get Dragon V2/Crew Dragon operational with a particular focus on the latter.

Would have been nice to have the core stage - maybe do an analysis of the strain forces on ascent and separation. But that's why it was instrumented OTOH.

T hey are aiming for 27 launches this year - and already did three. With the pace going the way it is - I think they can do it! One company launching near half of what went into space in 2016 - yeah, the future is here.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 7 February 2018, 14:40
killjoy

Last night, around 9:30pm EST, I observed an object in the southern skies over CA that was moving in an eastbound direction. It looked like a rocket or a missile. Google images for "missile night sky" show exactly what it looked it whereas images for meteors do not. Contact with Vandenberg confirmed they had not launched a test missile as had previously been reported. Could it have been something to do with this launch in Florida?
Old 7 February 2018, 14:45
The Sagacious One

This kind of stuff warms my heart as an American. A bunch of young scientists, mired in opportunity. As opposed to some greedy healthcare company fuck buying islands and bullshit like that.
Old 7 February 2018, 14:57
Confirmed User

I loved all of the cheering that I heard throughout the flight by the scientist/staff.....heard a lot of pride in those cheers. Well done! Awesome display!! 'Murica!
Old 7 February 2018, 15:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Last night, around 9:30pm EST, I observed an object in the southern skies over CA that was moving in an eastbound direction. It looked like a rocket or a missile. Google images for "missile night sky" show exactly what it looked it whereas images for meteors do not. Contact with Vandenberg confirmed they had not launched a test missile as had previously been reported. Could it have been something to do with this launch in Florida?
I believe that was the 3rd (and final) burn, IIRC...I know I just read something about it online.

Did it look like this?

https://www.space DOT com/39620-skywatchers-see-spacex-falcon-heavy-third-burn.html

Last edited by cashonlycow; 7 February 2018 at 15:04. Reason: Found it!
Old 7 February 2018, 15:36
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
This kind of stuff warms my heart as an American. A bunch of young scientists, mired in opportunity. As opposed to some greedy healthcare company fuck buying islands and bullshit like that.
^ +1

Not sure what rock I've been living under but I had no idea about the Tesla. That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
Old 7 February 2018, 15:43
BTDT

Quote:
This kind of stuff warms my heart as an American. A bunch of young scientists, mired in opportunity.
Why would anyone want to launch a roadster into space with a mannequin in the drivers seat ??? Because only communists and hippies would launch a mini-van. A cherry-red roadster is the only way to travel like this because, 'Murica

"Maybe [it will be] discovered by an alien race, thinking, 'What were these guys doing? Did they worship this car? Why do they have a little car?'" Musk said. "That will really confuse them."

Literally attempting to troll alien life forms 'just in case' they should find this car floating through the galaxy some day.

Awesome. More people need to lighten up and take note on how this guys looks at the world. "It’s kind of silly and fun, but I think silly, fun things are important,"
Star Wars references, Heavy Metal references, David Bowie, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... Elon Musk for the win.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 7 February 2018, 15:44
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonlycow View Post
I believe that was the 3rd (and final) burn, IIRC...I know I just read something about it online.

Did it look like this?

https://www.space DOT com/39620-skywatchers-see-spacex-falcon-heavy-third-burn.html
Yes, that is exactly it. Thank you.
This is my picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1806 2.jpg (5.4 KB, 204 views)
Old 7 February 2018, 16:30
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Look.Donttouch; yes you witnessed the "shot" at Mars(third burn). This was after one of the most complex parts of the whole flight. There was some maneuvering to meet AF criteria then passing the van allen belt for the burn at Mars.
Old 7 February 2018, 17:28
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Apparently Elon Musk has some debtors after him, immediately after the launch an outfit sent a repo man to repossess the Tesla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEyz4y8eM5k
Old 8 February 2018, 17:09
Old Scroll

Took a day or so for other videos to surface... here's a good one of the booster's landings:

https://youtu.be/Z_kfM-BmVzQ

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 February 2018, 17:19
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I saw the two boosters land right on target, I guess the central booster didn't fare as well trying to land on the ship.
Old 8 February 2018, 19:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
.....Star Wars references, Heavy Metal references, David Bowie, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... Elon Musk for the win.
All they needed for a grand slam was a wiggly Hula dancer on the dashboard of the car.
Old 8 February 2018, 19:57
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post

All they needed for a grand slam was a wiggly Hula dancer on the dashboard of the car.
...and a Car Tree air freshener hanging from the rear-view mirror.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 8 February 2018, 21:21
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
...and a Car Tree air freshener hanging from the rear-view mirror.
fuzzy dice

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 February 2018, 01:06
At the Barn

I saw something on the dash...but couldn't make out exactly what it was..
Old 9 February 2018, 01:28
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
I saw something on the dash...but couldn't make out exactly what it was..
Hot Wheels Tesla Roadster with a mini-Starman in it, per the post-launch interview.
Old 9 February 2018, 01:30
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
North or south of Titusville?
West.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 9 February 2018, 06:27
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Took a day or so for other videos to surface... here's a good one of the booster's landings:

https://youtu.be/Z_kfM-BmVzQ
Now thats pretty COOL!
Old 9 February 2018, 09:26
Confirmed User

Congratulations for the United States for again going ad astra. But I'm still waiting for all of that "living on Mars" thingamajig I was promised by books and movies. I want to do Totall Recall in real life! (maybe except for the three-titted hooker and mutants growing out of belly buttons, but I guess that comes with the territory once you reach Mars).

Now the Tesla will keep rolling thru Martian neighborhood, but the mannequin will be able to enjoy unparalelled vistas on its way. And no gridlocks...And no cops...

Our new posting rules