Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 February 2018, 21:25
Very Deplorable

Winter Olympics Thread

Surprised this thread wasnt already going.

Opening ceremonies on the tube right now. Team USA looks like we are going to come away with a high metal count. Great looking athletes!

Watching the trials was pretty awesome, but I'm sure the athletes will do even better!
Old 9 February 2018, 22:02
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I do like the winter Olympics
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 9 February 2018, 23:51
Authorized Personnel

The lighting of the torch was one of the coolest I have seen in a long time. The images made by the drones were outstanding as well. I look forward to these games. I hope we do well....
Old 9 February 2018, 23:57
Very Deplorable

The technology in that drone show is amazing, and the whole thing was quite a show for an opening ceremony.

Two weeks of peace and sport.
Old 10 February 2018, 08:14
Bitter old man.

A couple of Queers starting with political bullshit on team USA.
Old 10 February 2018, 08:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
A couple of Queers starting with political bullshit on team USA.
Between that and the bullshit about who was going to carry the Colors in the opening Ceremony. All I keep seeing in the Media is "Dishonorable Coin Toss". I guess abiding by the agreed rules of picking the Color Carrier was too much for the Speed Skater.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:40
Authorized Personnel

It's funny already to hear people complaining about the Trump Administration "making the Olympics political" by inviting the dad of the young man killed in NK. I watched the opening ceremonies last night with liberals who brought this up as soon as the VP was shown in the stands. I asked them if they'd ever seen Olympia; the Olympics has ALWAYS been political.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_(1938_film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Between that and the bullshit about who was going to carry the Colors in the opening Ceremony. All I keep seeing in the Media is "Dishonorable Coin Toss". I guess abiding by the agreed rules of picking the Color Carrier was too much for the Speed Skater.
It's "Black History Month". Of course he should have been selected to carry the flag.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:59
Confirmed User

I watched the opening ceremonies live on CBC yesterday morning. Much better than the drivel that NBC shows.

Tessa Virtue, one of the Canadian flag-bearers, is hot. Highly recommend watching CBC overage over NBC. In the past they have shown more obscure sports instead of focusing on the well-known sports and names, like NBC does.
Old 10 February 2018, 11:02
pumpin gas and kickin ass

God damn, and all I wanted to do was watch some curling without the hate and vitriol being thrust front and center.

Is it REALLY that bad to be gay in America? Are they getting assisted air time off the top of buildings? Jesus.

I do like that the gay skater that was absolutely ROASTING the figure skaters as an announcer did not even have to mention his gayness to make sure that he checked the protest box.

He just got on TV and was his gay catty self, and it was actually fairly entertaining.

I thought I was watching the current version of the Hunger Games announcer guy.
Old 10 February 2018, 11:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
....It's "Black History Month". Of course he should have been selected to carry the flag.
Isn't it always Black History Month when the Winter Olympics are held?
Old 10 February 2018, 11:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
I watched the opening ceremonies live on CBC yesterday morning. Much better than the drivel that NBC shows.
Katie Couric's narration of the opening ceremony on NBC almost pushed me over the edge. She looks like she's gotten the Diane Feinstein Botox starter kit. Everything's just a little bit too tight.
Old 10 February 2018, 11:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
God damn, and all I wanted to do was watch some curling without the hate and vitriol being thrust front and center.
https://giphy.com/gifs/YTY11wSN4Onvi?ref=fbt

Old 10 February 2018, 12:14
pumpin gas and kickin ass

oddly enough that looks just like my big ass barn cat. I like how he swats at the broom halfway down
Old 10 February 2018, 13:30
Very Deplorable

I must have missed those parts?
I did see the the ultra gay announcer dude, but it is figure skating sooo no surprise there.
Old 10 February 2018, 13:34
Authorized Personnel

I just mute it when they run their political agenda based pie holes! I watch it for the competition and not to hear their diatribes about their aggravation of the week.
Old 10 February 2018, 15:01
Confirmed User

LOVE the Winter Olympics. One of the American lugers has a real shot at the podium, he looked solid in runs 1 &2. Rooting hard for him.

As for the activist athletes, I'll root for the flag.
Old 10 February 2018, 15:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Beat you to the punch.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131674

I didn't watch much of the opening ceremonies and caught just a few minutes of the team figure skating competition the night before. The US skater who is expected to crush the competition on the basis of being able to pull off multiple quad jumps didn't fare too well, but he'll probably get it together before he hits the ice for his individual competition.

And all of the ski jumpers out of our local ski jumping club have qualified for the medal round, be kind of cool to have a medaled ski jumper who grew up around here. I've been to a couple of their annual competitions, lot of fun to watch.

And of course, there is the Curling competition to look forward to.
Old 10 February 2018, 16:12
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

And of course, there is the Curling competition to look forward to.
The HamFam was eliminated in couples by China. Was a great match... so close down to the wire.
Hoping they do well in their respective individuals.

Mea culpa. I should have done a search, I just took a look at the first page of the lounge since it began yesterday. Rookie mistake.
Old 10 February 2018, 16:32
Been There Done That

Flicked through the sports channel and caught some of the women's biathlon and those are some in shape and cute ladies.

Lots of misses tonight.
Old 10 February 2018, 17:06
Been There Done That

Opened this thread to read comments about the awesome mountain range near me, clearly you are all on about something else that has zero relevance to my life. Carry on.

Our new posting rules