SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 February 2018, 17:22
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Opened this thread to read comments about the awesome mountain range near me
The Taebaek mountains are pretty this time of year
Old 12 February 2018, 08:00
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I watched about two hours of the Olympics last night, from roughly 2030 to 2230 eastern time. i was over at a relative's house and it happened to be on. There are events going on all day over in Korea in a wide range of events, but the coverage of NBC / MSNBC can only show so much, so there will always have to be editorial choices. I noticed a pattern in those choices. The first thing shown, for most of the first hour, was flamboyantly gay men dancing around on an ice rink, with performances separated by long, adoring media segments about the competitors. Then there was a brief mention of women's figure skating and women's hockey. The rest of the evening was women snowboarding down a hill side for style points to impress judges, not something truly measurable like speed or time. Throughout the two hours, the bombardment of commercials were primarily themed in how wonderful it is that everyone is so accepting of gay people, girl power, and Muslims. I won't be watching any more. My window of exposure to the Olympics showed that NBC, MSNBC, and the Olympics are marketed as a narrowcast targeted at liberal women and gay men with an agenda of pleasing that demographic. I didn't see a single thing that actually looked more like a sport than a stage performance. No thanks.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 February 2018, 08:33
Another pool cleaner

NBC coverage sucks dick, literally too.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:40
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
NBC coverage sucks dick, literally too.
Yes it does.

Sucks even worse when you don't have cable. Figuring out who streams what depending on where you live is fun, you don't figure out it's not available in your zip code until after you pay for it.

Literally all my wife wanted to watch was figure skating and we got nothing but curling for the last 3 days. I'm a Montana kid but Jesus Christ. Who watches fucking curling?

e: apparently we do, no other choice
Old 12 February 2018, 08:42
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Isn't it always Black History Month when the Winter Olympics are held?
Figured Al or Jesse would bitch about it being in February. As it is only 28 days.

NBC is dropping the ball bad on coverage.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:52
Going cyclic!!

I caught my favorite sport, the Biathalon. Cross country ski 7.5 KM, and stop along the way and shoot at targets. Always loved that sport.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:01
33,024 - R.I.P.

We watched for a couple hours last night. The women's snowboarding (ramp) was fun to watch. It looks like the winds were playing more havoc on those girls than the gusts over a carrier deck for a nuggets first trap.

I have a few questions though:
  • Why is Curling an Olympic sport? Isn't this something northerners do while drinking beer and ice fishing?
  • If these Olympian athletes are at their peak physical of their physical conditioning and performance, why is that shining beacon of health and nutrition, McDonalds, a sponsor?
Old 12 February 2018, 10:16
BTDT

^^^From the look of it most of the curlers spend a lot of time getting around a Big Mac.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:20
BTDT

I'm not a huge fan of the winter games, but I was favorably impressed by Red Gerard. He did well when it counted and seems both humble and not an idiot. Plus his family was shotgunning beers in celebration.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:27
exquisitus asinus

I swore for a minute I had clicked the wrong channel and was accidentally watching The Hunger Games...

I was waiting on baited breath for that dude to summarize by saying "may the odds ever be in your favor"...
Old 12 February 2018, 10:46
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
  • Why is Curling an Olympic sport? Isn't this something northerners do while drinking beer and ice fishing?
I saw a quote one time years ago that went like this:

"Cross country skiing isn't a sport, it's how the fucking Swedes get to the 7-11" HAHA classic
Old 12 February 2018, 10:49
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
I saw a quote one time years ago that went like this:

"Cross country skiing isn't a sport, it's how the fucking Swedes get to the 7-11" HAHA classic
Anyone who thinks X-country skiing isn't a sport or a great workout has never done it.

It is one of the best workouts around.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:52
Been There Done That

I watch the figure skating for the same reason I watch NASCAR... to seem em Crash.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 February 2018, 10:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
I swore for a minute I had clicked the wrong channel and was accidentally watching The Hunger Games...

I was waiting on baited breath for that dude to summarize by saying "may the odds ever be in your favor"...

HAHAHA, yea add a little flame behind the flamer.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 February 2018, 11:16
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Anyone who thinks X-country skiing isn't a sport or a great workout has never done it.

It is one of the best workouts around.
Yep, so is snowshoeing.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

Maybe we all are in the Hunger Games, we just haven't noticed it yet......

I enjoyed the Kim and Trump cosplay though....

Old 12 February 2018, 12:31
Never to old to learn

Smile

I down loaded these pictures, I like the one where person is skiing on their body. an the snowboarder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBIWuMI.jpg (11.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg BBIXe5P.jpg (9.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 12 February 2018, 13:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickT View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the winter games, but I was favorably impressed by Red Gerard. He did well when it counted and seems both humble and not an idiot. Plus his family was shotgunning beers in celebration.
Yeah he seems like a good kid. He put down a helluva run.

Chris Mazdzer, the luger pulled it off! He put together 4 clean runs to end up with the silver medal - first in Mens Luge Singles.
Old 12 February 2018, 13:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    :
My wife came in the room when the curling was on and literally made me turn it off. She doesn't just NOT like curling, she loathes it!

-I wasn't really watching it, I was engrossed in a Ted Bell novel at the time and had the tv on for background noise.

"OK, so we can agree you've been drinking. Now I know you've had at least 2, the first one and the last one, but now we need to figure out how many there were in between."-Me, I-35
Old 12 February 2018, 14:15
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

My opinion is mine and possibly worthless to others, but I don't think of anything as a sport unless there is someone playing defense against whom you must actively compete. If you can do your thing alone and compare you score against some else's who did their thing alone last month, I see that as a pastime, or a workout, but not a sport. Therefore, bowling, golf, snowboarding, and long jump are not sports, but badminton, hockey, jai alai, and rugby are. Downhill skiers are competing against a clock and a hill, not against a person. I also don't think something is a sport if it is subjectively scored based on style points instead of objectively based on inarguable accomplishments over a competitor, so speed skating is a sport while figure skating is not. I'll go back to the nursing home now.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules