SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 February 2018, 14:45
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Why is Curling an Olympic sport?
To give us all something to shoot for.

It can be interesting to watch, but it's also cool knowing that even now, in my 50s, there is an Olympic sport that I could conceivably compete in.

I don't sit and watch non-stop, but I eventually end up back on NBC to see what event is going on. The men's luge was great, first time an American has gotten a medal in the sport, silver no less.

And I agree that NBC coverage sucks, but everything in between the actual events usually has. The commentator they decided to bring on during the opening ceremony, some dude by the name of Joshua Cooper Ramo, started talking about what an inspiration Japan has been to Korea. Which is interesting, considering the brutal occupation that they engaged in over a period of 35 years, particularly during WWII.

Sure, no doubt Japan influenced Korea in ways that contributed perhaps to some of their modern successes, but this guy painted it like some benevolent patriarch looking over his children, all while the camera panned over to PM Abe sitting in the arena.

He works for Kissinger's outfit, which I found ironic. Who knows, maybe some money changed hands to buff up Japan's image, courtesy of the airwaves of NBC.

Last edited by Spinner; 12 February 2018 at 14:50.
Old 12 February 2018, 14:50
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I watch the figure skating for the same reason I watch NASCAR... to seem em Crash.
I actually laughed back in 2006 when Lindsey Jacobellis, then the best female snowboarder in the world, lost out on the gold medal when she started hotdogging near the end of her run.

Agony of defeat and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quQODOvrWMs
Old 12 February 2018, 15:34
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Anyone who thinks X-country skiing isn't a sport or a great workout has never done it.

It is one of the best workouts around.
Yeah, I know(I snowshoe), it's a joke.
Old 12 February 2018, 16:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
My opinion is mine and possibly worthless to others, but I don't think of anything as a sport unless there is someone playing defense against whom you must actively compete. If you can do your thing alone and compare you score against some else's who did their thing alone last month, I see that as a pastime, or a workout, but not a sport. Therefore, bowling, golf, snowboarding, and long jump are not sports, but badminton, hockey, jai alai, and rugby are. Downhill skiers are competing against a clock and a hill, not against a person. I also don't think something is a sport if it is subjectively scored based on style points instead of objectively based on inarguable accomplishments over a competitor, so speed skating is a sport while figure skating is not. I'll go back to the nursing home now.

Wow.

You're like really down on the Winter Olympics. My Brother was much the same. He was in Vermont awhile while his Spouse was in college. He had no outdoor interest in the winter, so he just turned into a raging alcoholic.

(Secretly, I'll watch the women's figure skating with the wife)

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 February 2018, 18:00
I still think I'm fooling everyone

And I thought that I was different because I barely watched any sort of Olympics. I often wonder - do they have any sort of place in the world we live in? Or maybe they lost their relevance a while ago and now they are just a shiny husk with less-than-desirable truth udnerneath it?
Old 12 February 2018, 18:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
And I thought that I was different because I barely watched any sort of Olympics. I often wonder - do they have any sort of place in the world we live in? Or maybe they lost their relevance a while ago and now they are just a shiny husk with less-than-desirable truth udnerneath it?
What relevance have they lost? They still represent the alleged best of their field. If there is a sport one doesn't like, don't watch. If you (not you personally) don't like the Olympics as a whole, don't watch them. I don't watch them as a political statement or anything else other than what it is...sports competition.

Last edited by Agoge; 12 February 2018 at 18:13.
Old 12 February 2018, 18:35

Quote:
What relevance have they lost?
That's what I was wondering about. It's not that I don't like the Olympics and try to add some sort of justification to my POV with that relevance diatribe (I have a neutral view towards them). But what about doping, disqualification, IOC corruption issues (unless Richard Peterkin is lying about their "aloofness"), forgetting about sport and making political statements (Egyptian judoka not shaking hand with his Isreeli counterpart, the Lebanese-Israeli unfriendliness during Rio 2016, probably few others I forgot about)? Biased media coverage? Granted, the proverbial shit happens in all kinds of sports so maybe I'm wondering too much about it instead of watching curling

Okay, I admit. I watched ski jumps.
Old 12 February 2018, 18:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
That's what I was wondering about. It's not that I don't like the Olympics and try to add some sort of justification to my POV with that relevance diatribe (I have a neutral view towards them). But what about doping, disqualification, IOC corruption issues (unless Richard Peterkin is lying about their "aloofness"), forgetting about sport and making political statements (Egyptian judoka not shaking hand with his Isreeli counterpart, the Lebanese-Israeli unfriendliness during Rio 2016, probably few others I forgot about)? Biased media coverage? Granted, the proverbial shit happens in all kinds of sports so maybe I'm wondering too much about it instead of watching curling

Okay, I admit. I watched ski jumps.
You have described everything we deal with in this world. What isn't corrupt and politicized in those same ways? My point is that the Olympics are what they are -- sports competitions and nothing more. When it becomes political, I mute it or turn it. Super easy.
Besides that, I really don't mind curling....
Old 12 February 2018, 19:02

I liked watching bobsleigh and skeleton. Especially skeleton because it's basically one man hurtling down the track while lying face down on a small sled. That's pretty badass if you ask me.

I watch Olympics from time to time, just not avidly. The way it's transmitted in Polish TV is IMO not user-friendly enough, having read this thread I see some complaints towards some U.S media too. I'm biased because my uncle loved watching Olympic golf competitions when I was a kid and that made me wonder what the hell was he getting emotional about. I mean I loved the golf carts and I even stole a few golf balls from my uncle, but that was the extent of my immersion in that sport.
Old 12 February 2018, 19:06
Authorized Personnel

The part of the winter Olympics that hurt me the most is the Moguls. Watching it makes my knees hurt. I don't know how their knee joints and hip flexors don't just rip and tear right there on the spot.
Old 12 February 2018, 19:16

I had a friend who was mogul skiing all the time. He said the key was to find the rythm and keep it plus try to stick to the ground. Basically try to flow with the bumps. He told me that "if you do it right your knees should be okay". His opinion was that slopestyle/freestyle skiers had much more issues with their knees.

It's still painful to watch.
Old 12 February 2018, 19:29
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Yeah, I know(I snowshoe), it's a joke.
Yup. Written words don't translate the banter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
The part of the winter Olympics that hurt me the most is the Moguls. Watching it makes my knees hurt. I don't know how their knee joints and hip flexors don't just rip and tear right there on the spot.
Yup, my knees ache just watching it.
Old 12 February 2018, 21:08
Calculating Infinity...

I caught a bit of the women's figure skating... that Gabrielle Daleman, out of Canada... whew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 245ef77.jpg (35.4 KB, 199 views)
Old 12 February 2018, 23:43
Sound off for equipment check!

“It’s probably not a news flash to tell you the Dutch are really, really good at speed skating… ‘Why are they so good?’ you may be asking yourself,” Couric mused during Friday’s opening ceremony. “Because skating is an important mode of transportation in a city like Amsterdam.”

You stay classy, Katie.

F’ing media types, I swear...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 12 February 2018, 23:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
“It’s probably not a news flash to tell you the Dutch are really, really good at speed skating… ‘Why are they so good?’ you may be asking yourself,” Couric mused during Friday’s opening ceremony. “Because skating is an important mode of transportation in a city like Amsterdam.”

You stay classy, Katie.

F’ing media types, I swear...
I heard about this on the radio and about spit up my coffee hahaha.
Old 12 February 2018, 23:54
Life is simple, not easy.

Kim Chloe, Korean-American, wins Gold!
Old 13 February 2018, 02:55
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
What a performance.

That's 3 gold for team USA; 6 medals total.
Old 13 February 2018, 03:33

So far the North Korean athletes failed to impress. Their 200-man cheerleading team, however....
Old 13 February 2018, 08:51
Confirmed User

Keeping your cool when shooting
Old 13 February 2018, 11:23
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
That was some impressive snowboarding. She could have just taken a victory lap with her 93.** score for the gold, but instead went out and made a 98.** on her final run. I could hear one of the coaches say "Give the people what they want." She nailed the back-to-back 1080s.

Our new posting rules