SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 February 2018, 05:37
Authorized Personnel

Israel shoots down Iranian drone

I heard about this from someone yesterday, now it's in the western media. Iran is steadily pushing and it may get real ugly. The Israelis hammered some anti-aircraft sites & other targets in Syria that were Iranian. Thoughts??

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...199466974.html
Old 10 February 2018, 07:28
Confirmed User

The drone was shot down over Israeli territory by an AH-64, not sure if by cannon or missiles.

Not many details, but our news reports 1 F-16 either crashed or was shot down. Pilots injured, ejected over Israeli territory.

Apparently this was a deliberate anti-air ambush, ie sending the drone to provoke a response, then when the expected Israeli retaliation came, fire a massive amount of SAMs (reports said about 20-25 missiles were launched) and hope to get a hit.

Fragments of SAMs landed in northern Israel, and in Lebanese and Jordanian territories.
There may have been surface to surface rockets fired into Israel as well during the skirmish.

My interpertation of the events (based on the news reports) is that the Iranians / Russians / Syrians are sending a message, that Israel will not be allowed to attack Iranian/Hezbollah interests in Syria as we wish (as we've been doing until now).

I will add that from a cultural viewpoint, Israelis idolize fighter pilots and consider them to be almost invincible, and them being shot down or captured is sometimes considered a worse hit than civilians or GIs getting hit. With this in mind, no matter how many Syrian / Iranian sites were destroyed, having shot down a single aircraft could be considered a "win" for them.

Wasn't "Thou shalt not fuck with mine people" a commandment or something?? God even used semtex on a bush to get his point across ...am I wrong? - DCH

The Bedouin took his revenge after 40 years and said: "I was in a hurry"

Last edited by gdvir of IDF; 10 February 2018 at 07:40.
Old 10 February 2018, 09:22
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Someday, Iran will discover it is not a good idea to poke Israel with a stick... Someday...

Instead of hitting those SAM sites, which doesn't really accomplish anything, perhaps a bigger hammer to the location where the commands are given...

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 10 February 2018, 09:32
Another pool cleaner

Iran should be a blood stain in the sand.
Old 10 February 2018, 09:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
...Instead of hitting those SAM sites, which doesn't really accomplish anything, perhaps a bigger hammer to the location where the commands are given...
Won't work either. For SAMs to work they need early warning and target-acquisition systems to tip and cue the missiles. Without them, all the bad guys have are 2,000 kg telephone poles that can fly at low mach numbers. If the reported amount of missiles is true, it sounds like they volley fired them and hoped for an unguided proximity kill with one or more missiles.

The Israelis aren't invincible. However if you're an Arab or Persian, you don't slow-pitch to them in a fight.

ETA: Looking a second time at the article, sounds like AAA got the planes.
Old 10 February 2018, 14:50
Been There Done That

Good! Speedy recovery to the pilots injured.

They just don't get it in the Mid East. Israel isn't going anywhere and they don't take no shit.

Go ahead. Piss Bibi off.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 10 February 2018, 15:12
Confirmed User

As expected;
http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/10/brutal...r-jet-7302869/
Moral of the story;
Don't piss off Binyamin Netanyahu;
He's still pissed over the loss of his brother.
Seriously though, kudos to the IDF.
Old 10 February 2018, 15:14
Confirmed User

Drone footage;
https://www.newsy.com/stories/israel...ter-jet-crash/
And now the aftermath.
Old 10 February 2018, 17:50
Confirmed User

With Turkey pounding the Syrian YPG Kurds and Israel pounding Hezbollah, ISIS and Nusra front probably can't believe their luck! If it is luck.
Old 11 February 2018, 00:33
Been There Done That

that sure looked like a Hellfire hit on the drone to me. which is pretty damn impressive that they could.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 11 February 2018, 09:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
that sure looked like a Hellfire hit on the drone to me. which is pretty damn impressive that they could.
The Marines demonstrated long ago (late Jurassic ) that TOW II missiles can take out helicopters. Hitting a drone with something like a Hellfire isn't surprising, but still pretty impressive.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:50
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Won't work either. For SAMs to work they need early warning and target-acquisition systems to tip and cue the missiles. Without them, all the bad guys have are 2,000 kg telephone poles that can fly at low mach numbers. If the reported amount of missiles is true, it sounds like they volley fired them and hoped for an unguided proximity kill with one or more missiles.

The Israelis aren't invincible. However if you're an Arab or Persian, you don't slow-pitch to them in a fight.

ETA: Looking a second time at the article, sounds like AAA got the planes.
I was referring to the location of the leadership of their Nation, as opposed to the command and control for the missile systems. I should have been more specific. Turning Tehran into a big glass parking lot... Boom, let the bodies hit the floor.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 11 February 2018, 12:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
The Marines demonstrated long ago (late Jurassic ) that TOW II missiles can take out helicopters. Hitting a drone with something like a Hellfire isn't surprising, but still pretty impressive.
a. depends on target size. we talked about air to air engagements, but never had an opportunity. so size dependent on the drone...

b. HF is different than TOW, in many respects. there's any number of reasons this was an impressive shot, but I won't go into them.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 11 February 2018, 18:20
Confirmed User

Probably one of those probing attempts to study the reaction from the Israeli side. Seems like drones are the new car bomb or suicide bomber, new TTP everyone has to worry about.
Old 11 February 2018, 21:10
Moving Target

Here is a good article
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/middl...ash/index.html
Old 11 February 2018, 23:02
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Turning Tehran into a big glass parking lot...
Naw, why destroy the place? Just kill the people, preserve the resources. We may have given up the neutron bomb as part of SALT II, but did the Israeli's? No....so who knows if they ever built any or not. I would have if I was them, I mean, if you ever have to nuke any of the Arabs who are threatening to drive the Jews into the sea, why not become an instant oil producing nation as soon as the rads die down a bit by occupying the territory no longer needed by it's former occupants?

"Go Jews, beat Persia!"

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 13 February 2018, 13:32
Confirmed User

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-...iefs-1.5808981

Interesting article.
Old 13 February 2018, 16:24
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Cool video of the drone getting blasted.
Old 13 April 2018, 15:08
Confirmed User

https://www.timesofisrael.com/irania...th-explosives/

The drone was armed with explosives. Interesting. No wonder Israel destroyed their base and killed some Iranians. Watch yoselves.
Old 13 April 2018, 15:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Someday, Iran will discover it is not a good idea to poke Israel with a stick...
It may be sooner than later:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-hezbollah/hezbollah-says-israels-syria-strike-puts-it-into-fight-with-iran-idUSKBN1HK2C9

Our new posting rules