Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 December 2008, 20:20
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Senate Candidate #5

If you're going to sell a Senate seat, it helps to have a buyer. I can only wonder who exactly #5 is, but it raises some interesting questions about how Blagojevich wound up talking about it on a wire. Aside from the sheer stupidity of the alleged scheme.

In this state, you could probably just post a bunch of pictures on a cork board, close your eyes and throw the dart. It could be anybody.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...ndidate_5.html
Old 9 December 2008, 20:59
Old and Broke

Funny how quickly the dem leadership threw him under the bus. I have to wonder if all the political machines (Obama, Daily, Unions, etc) worked with the prosecutor to nail him.

The next Senate campaign might be interesting.
Old 9 December 2008, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
Funny how quickly the dem leadership threw him under the bus. I have to wonder if all the political machines (Obama, Daily, Unions, etc) worked with the prosecutor to nail him.

The next Senate campaign might be interesting.
I doubt it. None of them want anything to with this whole mess, one way or the other. Daley especially wouldn't be the kind of guy to give Patrick Fitzgerald a helping hand.

Edit: I should add, the next President would really have everything to gain by getting involved, and a lot to lose, if in fact he did get wind that Blagojevich was fishing for a high bidder on his Senate seat, and did not contact the US Attorney about it.

If he did get wind of it and did nothing, that would be a different story. And I'm not speculating that he knew or didn't know anything, just presenting one hypothetical among many.

Last edited by Spinner; 9 December 2008 at 21:21.
Old 9 December 2008, 21:42
True Origin Not Known

These are not the droids you are looking for . . .

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 9 December 2008, 21:50
^^Female^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
This is Illinois. I wouldn't know where to begin...

and that pretty much sums it up.

I lived there for 15 years and worked at a grass roots trade association where I was pretty tied to politics via our lobbyist....it was fun, but that crap will drain you. I called our lobbyist this morning and we were laughing about it. The funniest thing to us is that as long as he's been under investigation from the feds, the thing he's busted on is the recent stuff, not the old stuff. I was still in IL as Goblowmevich was getting elected and I left soon after. We all saw this coming before he was even elected. He's as corrupt as an Alaskan summer day is long.

But, as others have said, it has little to do with party when it comes to corruption in Illinois politics. Prior to my exodous from the land of the voting dead, I worked on a statewide committee -- Illinois Right to Center. The focus was to TRY and bring ethics back into the Republican Party. It was started at the midst of the Judy Barr Topinka scandal.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the Land of Honest Abe -- I bet he's spinning in his grave.
Old 9 December 2008, 23:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
I have to wonder if all the political machines (Obama, Daily, Unions, etc) worked with the prosecutor to nail him.
I wonder how many he'll take down with him.
Old 9 December 2008, 23:31
Graphic Ed
Visitor

Of the shit covered in the news this week, I don't know which is more fucking stupidly arrogant; this guy doing all of this shit while he knows he is under investigation for other shit, or OJ attempting armed robbery and kidnapping knowing every sane person wants to see him hang, then contemptuously dismissing the offer of a plea deal when he's busted.
Old 9 December 2008, 23:40
BTDT

my tin foil hat prevents me from making a comment...
Old 10 December 2008, 10:41
Whatever Sucks the Most

"Goblowmevich!"

Holy shit that is good.
Old 10 December 2008, 17:50
Make a desert and call it peace.

Jesse Jackson Jr was reportedly the high bidder for the Senate seat.

This is going to be very ugly regardless of outcome, but IMO the worst possible result is leaving this mess to fester. Fitzgerald and the Feds need to cast the widest possible net to kill/capture/prosecute all of these assholes.

It always galls me that the true high crimes like this and the financial crap are treated with kid gloves. Stuff that threatens the very foundations of the Nation. But the kid from the ghetto that robs the qwikie mart gets 5x worse punishment. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 11 December 2008, 20:01

Illinois Governor 'upbeat' as resignation demands multiply

This guy is a pure sociopath. He fits all the criteria for the type. It's amazing that he would actually think he might be able to secure a post in the upcoming administration by a little horse dealing with that Senate seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's thinking that, given a little time, things will 'die down'.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081211/...inois_governor

This whole mess reminds me of a bad movie that came out in the 80s called The Hidden, about an extraterrestrial psycho alien that inhabits the bodies of regular people, causing them to do all kinds of crazy shit. One of them was a politician with higher aspirations.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/

Maybe Blagojevich is his latest host.
Old 11 December 2008, 20:12
Been There Done That

You know, before this I had never heard of the guy. I'm curious about one thing:

How the hell does this creepy looking Serbian ganster get elected to Governor of a large state? I mean seriously- look at his face. He looks like the biggest scumbag on earth. How could you not know he was going to do something like this?
22 Aug 17
Old 11 December 2008, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
You know, before this I had never heard of the guy. I'm curious about one thing:

How the hell does this creepy looking Serbian ganster get elected to Governor of a large state? I mean seriously- look at his face. He looks like the biggest scumbag on earth. How could you not know he was going to do something like this?
Blagojevich has been involved in Chicago politics going back to the days when the current Mayor Daley was the Cook County States Attorney. He started out as a clerk for Edward Vrdolyak, who was a longtime Alderman in the city, a very powerful voice on the city council back in the 80s. Vrdolyak recently pled guilty to wire and mail fraud charges and is awaiting sentencing. Blagojevich got that job through his father-in-law Dick Mell, who is still an Alderman.

He has basically ridden his connections to various offices throughout the years, including stints in the state legislature and as a Congressman. You might remember him, if at all, for a trip he made to Belgrade with Jesse Jackson back in 1999 to free 3 soldiers being held as POWs. Nothing but a photo op for him and Jesse, as far as I'm concerned.

He was elected Governor on a platform that pledged to clean up the corrupt politics that have plagued our state for decades.

Right now everybody is scrambling to cover their ass. There is no guarantee that any of this ends with Blagojevich. Anybody that rises to a higher level of political influence in Illinois comes out of the same cesspool as Blagojevich.
Old 11 December 2008, 20:47
I am into Champagne

As the usual, Mr. Iowahawk gives excellent (satire) summation. Enjoy:

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk...y-account.html

Make sure to enlarge all picture.

Regards,
Old 12 December 2008, 11:11
On the Extract Bird

Am I the only one who thinks this guy's eyes are just too damn close together?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rod_Blagojevich83953777.jpg (8.4 KB, 341 views)
Old 12 December 2008, 15:55
Anesthetized User

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008...-unable-serve/

Not exactly a ringing endorsement when the state top cop wants you removed and seeks legal remedy to do so.

This move is reportedly unprecedented, anyone know if this has happend before?

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.
Old 12 December 2008, 16:14
Psi Brr
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this guy's eyes are just too damn close together?
He looks like Stephen King's younger brother.
Old 12 December 2008, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008...-unable-serve/

Not exactly a ringing endorsement when the state top cop wants you removed and seeks legal remedy to do so.

This move is reportedly unprecedented, anyone know if this has happend before?
It's a first.

Maybe Blagojevich isn't as crazy and stupid as everybody thinks. He was totally aware that the feds had their eye on him, and probably figured it was only a matter of time before it all came crashing down.

So, maybe he decided to take matters into his own hands and expedite things, and at the same time take a few people down with him.

Paging Mr. Jesse Jackson Jr....
Old 12 December 2008, 18:32
Old and Grumpy

To all of my compadres in Chicago, may I recommend Chicago Tonight. Its on M thru F on WTTW at 7 pm. They do a terrific job of covering all sides of every local political issue. They ask all of the difficult questions without being in your face, so to speak. I think Carol Marin is the best journalist in town now that Studs Terkel has passed. They have been all over the Blago drama giving some great insight.
Old 12 December 2008, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
To all of my compadres in Chicago, may I recommend Chicago Tonight. Its on M thru F on WTTW at 7 pm. They do a terrific job of covering all sides of every local political issue. They ask all of the difficult questions without being in your face, so to speak. I think Carol Marin is the best journalist in town now that Studs Terkel has passed. They have been all over the Blago drama giving some great insight.
They've got one of those 2 week long pledge drives going on right now. How's the coverage during the half hour abbreviated version?

Too bad Bulldog Drummond isn't still on the air.

Our new posting rules