SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 August 2010, 17:34
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

How the hell could they be deadlocked?

Reports are filtering out that the jury in the trial of our illustrious former Governor may be hopelessly deadlocked on every count of the indictment.

Un-frickin-belivable.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/b...081110.article

Maybe they're only deadlocked on a few of the counts, and have gotten it right on the ones that matter.

How could anybody listen to those tapes and not believe he was trying to sell that Senate seat?
Old 11 August 2010, 17:48
Policeman Officer

It's the Chicago way?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 11 August 2010, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
It's the Chicago way?
Yea, right out of the movies.

Quote:
"You wanna know how to get Blagojevich? They pull a witness, you pull a rebuttal witness. He sends one of yours to the defendant's lawyer, you send one of his to pay him off. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Blagojevich. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? I'm offering you a deal. Do you want this deal?"

Last edited by Spinner; 11 August 2010 at 18:20.
Old 17 August 2010, 23:48
Make a desert and call it peace.

And the fix was in!!!!!

Such complete and utter bullshit.

The taxpayers should be running Fitzgerald out of town on a rail for fucking up this simple shit.

IMO case was deliberately compromised to protect the guilty in high places and this shit is the result. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 18 August 2010, 21:35

They made a strategic decision not to put on a full court press, and I'm positive this was due to Blagojevich's constant declaration that he was going to testify.

When they retry him on those 23 counts, or on however many they decide to prosecute, you can bet they'll be calling Jesse Jr., Rahm Emanuel and Valerie Jarret as witnesses, not to mention Rezko and Levine.

I heard a couple of jurors speak today, it turns out that on the racketeering counts, the ones that would have really screwed him, it was a lone juror who held out. Had they nailed him on those, they probably would have disregarded a retrial on the other counts that resulted in a hung jury.

The circus isn't folding up its tent just yet, just taking a little break.
Old 24 May 2011, 17:29

The circus is in town! The circus is in town!

The only thing missing will be elephants parading in front of the courthouse trunk to tail, although the clown car is probably going to get some use if the defense calls Rahm, Jesse Junior, Valerie, Rezko and the rest of the motley crew.

The head clown, of course, will be Blagojevich himself. I still don't think he's going to take the stand in his own defense, but right now that's the word from those ever present "sources".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6202649.story
Old 24 May 2011, 19:25
True Origin Not Known

Do ya still think . . .

Mare Rahmbo gonna git called?

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 24 May 2011, 19:33

I think he will be called, and he's already stated that he's ready to testify if called.

I don't think the defense has any choice but to put on a case. The government really streamlined this trial, whereas during the last one they threw a lot of stuff out there that probably just confused the jury.
Old 25 May 2011, 14:39

Those pesky witnesses for the defense...

...you never know what they're going to say.

http://www.suntimes.com/5585510-417/...jevich-retrial

Quote:
Former U.S. Rep. Bill Lipinski (D.-Ill.) approached Jackson and asked him to donate to Blagojevich’s campaign.

“He said Democrats had not had control of the governor’s office in 30 years,” Jackson said. “He asked for $25,000” for Blagojevich’s campaign, he said.

“Did you agree to make a contribution?” Assistant U.S. Attorney Chris Niewoehner asked.

“No chance,” Jackson replied.

Blagojevich and former Mayor Richard M. Daley came to Washington, D.C. for a visit after the election and Blagojevich approached Jackson, saying, “Let bygones be bygones,” Jackson said.

Jackson told Blagojevich that his wife, Sandi Jackson, was interested in working for Blagojevich’s administration, the congressman testified.

“I was told to get her resume to Tony Rezko,” Jackson said. “I hand-delivered it myself.”

“My wife and I were sitting in the living room, watching the governor of the state of Illinois announcing the new director of the Illlinois Lottery and it was not my wife,” Jackson said.
With Jesse and Blago, it's kind of like the pot and the kettle hurling accusations at each other. And of course the testimony wouldn't be complete without Tony Rezko's name popping up.

When I think of extortion with regards to Jesse Jackson, Jr., I immediately think of his father and his holding Anheuser-Busch hostage with his "boycott", only to kiss and make up when the beer conglomerate awarded a couple of his sons a lucrative beer distributorship.

I'm beginning to think we ought to just start from scratch, at every level. A true constitutional convention designed to just strip away all the fat and B.S.
Old 27 June 2011, 18:18

This verdict wasn't much of a surprise. I figured he'd be convicted on most of the counts he was being tried on.

http://www.suntimes.com/6117324-417/...17-counts.html

Reports indicated Blago and his wife were shocked at the verdict. I can only imagine his shock when he reports to prison for his first day behind bars. Maybe he can wave to George Ryan as he's walking out the gates.

Two successive governors, from both parties. What a joke.
Old 27 June 2011, 18:51
Sound off for equipment check!

I want to see him in a nice, comfortable, welcome-to-your-new-home short buzz cut. Like Yul Brynner, only shorter.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 27 June 2011, 19:06

Also, they should restrict his access to that just for men hair dye.

I was watching the news after the verdict was announced, with the obligatory aerial tracking shot of his SUV as it made its way toward his home on the north side. It would have been funny if they'd made a break to the Wisconsin border, seeking asylum.

He's probably stupid enough to think that he could seek refuge in another state. As we all know, going to Wisconsin is just like going to what used to be Czechslovakia.

And as they were making one of the final turns for home, they blew a perfect opportunity to stop in at a Popeye's. It was right there, and he sure as hell won't have too many more opportunites to grab a two piece spicy meal.
Old 28 June 2011, 04:58

Somebody, perhaps not just the Feds, should be making sure Rod doesn't "suicide" before he's given the opportunity to roll over on all the Chitcago, Crook county shit he knows about.

I would love nothing more than for that muttering prick Daley to go down. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 28 June 2011, 17:38

Blagojevich would never do himself in, I just don't see it in his makeup. In many respects, he's a lot like John Edwards.

And I doubt anybody has anything on Daley, he learned at the knee of his father, who was as good as it gets when it came to insulating himself both from criticism and scandal.

Although Daley's son, Patrick, doesn't appear to have absorbed any of those lessons. He appears to be under the Fed's microscope right now concerning a couple of different shady deals he was involved in.
Old 28 June 2011, 22:04

I put suicide in quotes for a reason. Rod make take too much asperin or walk in front of a train, like a couple other recent Chicago corruption people. Or maybe just a single vehicle accident out in the middle of nowhere. S/F....Ken M
Old 1 July 2011, 23:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Somebody, perhaps not just the Feds, should be making sure Rod doesn't "suicide" before he's given the opportunity to roll over on all the Chitcago, Crook county shit he knows about.

I would love nothing more than for that muttering prick Daley to go down. S/F....Ken M
exactly
Old 2 July 2011, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I put suicide in quotes for a reason. Rod make take too much asperin or walk in front of a train, like a couple other recent Chicago corruption people. Or maybe just a single vehicle accident out in the middle of nowhere. S/F....Ken M
Yeah, I missed that.

I recall the media jumping all over the suicide of Michael Scott, a close ally of Daley and school board president, alluding that it might not have been a suicide.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-83199332.html

Although in this town, or any town that is neck deep in corrupt activites, you can never discount the possibility that there is more to something that happened rather than less.
Old 6 December 2011, 19:07

Drum roll please...

I don't know if the sentence will actually be pronounced today, but Blagojevich is before the judge right now, and all indications are that the court is going with the prosecution recommendations.

http://www.suntimes.com/9278825-417/...ng-issues.html

I don't expect him to receive anything less than 15 years. Rezko got 12.5, I don't see how he wouldn't be sentenced to more time.

His tired act won't fly in prison.
Old 6 December 2011, 20:24
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

I hope they throw the entire library at him, and he only gets out of prison feet first.
Old 6 December 2011, 20:27

It probably won't be that bad, but 15 sounds about right.

He's eligible, based on the charges he was convicted of and sentencing guidelines, to receive 30 years to life. But that won't happen.

I don't understand why Jesse, Jr. hasn't faced any charges, other than the ethics investigation in Congress.

Our new posting rules