Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 December 2011, 21:48
My Heroes Wear Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
It probably won't be that bad, but 15 sounds about right.

He's eligible, based on the charges he was convicted of and sentencing guidelines, to receive 30 years to life. But that won't happen.

I don't understand why Jesse, Jr. hasn't faced any charges, other than the ethics investigation in Congress.
I'm betting on 17.

JJJ is still under investigation...may get him next.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...VLO_story.html
Old 7 December 2011, 16:48
Make a desert and call it peace.

14 years for this asshole! Lets see if he rolls over on anyone else? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 7 December 2011, 17:16
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Who could he roll over on?

Usually the prosecutor will try to flip somebody to go after bigger fish. The US Attorney told the judge they sought cooperation from Blagojevich, which I find hard to believe. There is nobody out there involved that is a bigger fish than him. Anybody who could roll over already did so, in order to nail Blago.

I watched some of the coverage leading up to the announcement of the verdict, these TV people are a disgrace. One of them on the local Fox channel was about to interview a state senator, Kirk Dillard, when there was a buzz of activity off camera, which sent the newshound rushing off in the other direction out of camera range without so much as a quick "excuse me a moment".

He just left the guy standing there, with a look that said "what am I, chopped liver?".
Old 7 December 2011, 17:47
Make a desert and call it peace.

Please, everyone knows IL is run out of Chicago. Roll on Daley, Mell, Jackson, etc. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 7 December 2011, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Please, everyone knows IL is run out of Chicago. Roll on Daley, Mell, Jackson, etc. S/F...Ken M
I honestly believe Blagojevich doesn't have the goods on anybody. Other than Jackson approaching him about the Senate seat, there's not much there.

Let's face it, this is not a smart guy. He basically dared the government to come after him, and they did, all while he was talking openly on his bugged phone. He's not even shrewd in the political sense, he was pretty ham handed in all of his efforts to squeeze people.

Contrast him with guys like Jim Thompson and Jim Edgar, who basically played the same game but never got caught doing it. Because they knew the boundaries, and they put enough layers of insulation between themselves and the dirt.

Pay to play isn't new to Illinois politics, it's been going on for decades. And it involves both parties at every level. It's just that some are better at doing it than others.

Do you really think anybody is ever going to ever lay a glove on guys like Mike Madigan? He's got his fingers in a lot of pies, but still he's got his hands on the levers of power that count.
Old 7 December 2011, 18:21
Old and Grumpy

[QUOTE=Spinner;1058067234

Do you really think anybody is ever going to ever lay a glove on guys like Mike Madigan? He's got his fingers in a lot of pies, but still he's got his hands on the levers of power that count.[/QUOTE]

Well, they did nail Ed Verdolyak. Everyone thought he was untouchable.
Old 7 December 2011, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
Well, they did nail Ed Verdolyak. Everyone thought he was untouchable.
True, but look who he was dealing with. Stuart Levine, the same guy who was the prosecution's key witness againt Blagojevich.

Guys like Madigan are a little shrewder and smarter when it comes to their schemes and who they ultimately deal with, and they'd never get close to a guy like Levine. Vrdolyak also got greedy, that was his downfall, just like Blagojevich.

It's no wonder that Blago's first political job was in Vrdolyak's office. Birds of a feather and all that.
Old 7 December 2011, 19:18
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
It's no wonder that Blago's first political job was in Vrdolyak's office. Birds of a feather and all that.
There was I reason they called him Fast Eddie. I remember back to the council wars days when Vrdolyak was a major player with Ed Burke. There's another slippery one.
Old 8 December 2011, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
I'm betting on 17.

JJJ is still under investigation...may get him next.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...VLO_story.html
If Blagojevich went to jail for $1.5 million dollars that was offered, yet never received, then the parties that made the offer should be brought to trial as well, which would include both Jackson and the Indian Mafiosi that made the offer on his behalf.

Speaking of corrupt politicians, does anybody really believe that if Dennis Hastert had never reached Congress that his net worth would have climbed from $300,000 when he first was elected to over $11 million today?

Tell me there isn't something fishy going on there. Before entering politics Hastert was a P.E. teacher, not some shrewd businessman. Although he apparently became quite a businessman during his years in the House.
Old 8 December 2011, 16:58
All Labs Matter

Quote:
that if Dennis Hastert had never reached Congress that his net worth would have climbed from $300,000 when he first was elected to over $11 million today?

Tell me there isn't something fishy going on there. Before entering politics Hastert was a P.E. teacher, not some shrewd businessman. Although he apparently became quite a businessman during his years in the House.
The answer you seek may very well be insider trading...

http://www.cbsnewsdotcom/video/watch/?id=7388130n

EDIT TO ADD: Hastert is specifcally mentioned.

Last edited by The Corporate Guy; 8 December 2011 at 17:11.
Old 8 December 2011, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy View Post

The answer you seek may very well be insider trading...
If you look closely at the story, and it's been written and talked about in a couple of publications, these folks basically exempted themselves through legislation from being subject to insider trading laws.

They don't work for the companies they traded in, thus they can't engage in insider trading involving that company, although the argument can certainly be made that the inside information that was so valuable was advance knowledge of pending legislation. In effect, Congress just becomes another "company" with a competing interest for the commercial endeavors of those who serve in it.

The laws as they currently stand doesn't preclude them from acting on that knowledge. Congess is good at passing a lot of laws that either protect themselves, or apply to all of us while exempting them.

We haven't had fair representation in Congess for some time now. There was a book recently written about all of the trading and stock purchases of a bunch of members of Congress by a guy who has been studying this for a couple of decades now. I'll try and come up with the title.

Last edited by Spinner; 8 December 2011 at 17:32.
Old 8 December 2011, 22:27

Came up with a little joke in the wake of Blago's sentencing.

Q: "What does Blagojevich have in common with the Cub's pitchers and catchers?"

A: "They all have to report to camp in February"
Old 8 December 2011, 22:35
Bland user

Illinois is historically corrupt. This guy disgusts me.
Old 8 December 2011, 22:53

Yeah, sure he is, but...

what do you think of my joke?
Old 8 December 2011, 23:07
Bland user

Quote:
Yeah, sure he is, but...

what do you think of my joke?
Its friggin great.
And it couldn't happent to a nicer guy....
Old 10 December 2011, 14:15
BTDT

Get some soap-on-a-rope Blaggo'
...it'll help keep you from dropping the soap
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 27 June 2012, 15:07

Jesse Jackson Jr. takes leave of absence due to "exhaustion"

Ever since his bagman, Raghuveer Nayak, was indicted by the feds last week, he's gotten tired.

That is, tired of thinking about the impending indictment he might himself face. Nayak was indicted on matters unrelated to the whole Blagojevich mess, but you just know they're turning the screws on this guy to give up Jesse Jr.

Couldn't happen to a nicer tool. At least he'll always have the family's extorted Anheuser-Busch distributorship to fall back on.

http://www.suntimes.com/13441439-761...-congress.html
Old 27 June 2012, 15:39
In From The East

Put Blaggo together with Rangel and throw them both in the bear pit.....or shark pool...with lasers attached on their heads...
Old 15 February 2013, 19:53

Jesse Jackson, Jr. and wife Sandi charged

I didn't even think this worthy of its own thread, so I'm just going to let the Blago thread take it for a piggyback ride.

http://www.suntimes.com/18251337-761...-on-taxes.html

One thing both Blago and Jesse Jr. had in common were high hopes for higher offices than the ones they occupied.

Blago actually thought he would make a run at the presidency some day and Jesse...well, he probably thought the same thing.

According to the reports, the feds want him to do between 4 and 6 years, which dovetails nicely with his old pal Blagojevich, from whom he tried to buy the Senate seat. I'm sure those two will have plenty to talk about if Jesse winds up going to the same prison.

And for once, Jesse Jackson, Sr. is speechless.
Old 15 February 2013, 20:15
Moving Target

In a statement issued through his lawyers, Jackson Jr. said: “Over the course of my life I have come to realize that none of us are immune from our share of shortcomings and human frailties. Still I offer no excuses for my conduct and I fully accept my responsibility for the improper decisions and mistakes I have made. To that end I want to offer my sincerest apologies to my family, my friends and all of my supporters for my errors in judgment and while my journey is not yet complete, it my hope that I am remembered for things that I did right.”

I respect that and I truely hope he gets his life turned around for good and the last part of that statement comes true.

Our new posting rules