Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 November 2017, 16:37
Confirmed User

What I'm afraid of, is that the end game of North Korea's nuclear plans are simply to be able to invade the south unmolested and unopposed, using the credible threat of nuking California, Hawaii, Japan, or China, in order to ensure this.

I really don't see any other logical play for Rocket Man. His country is rotting from the inside and the south is fat. And, he would have the psychological advantage in his own country of reunification as the justification (not that Kim really needs one there).
Old 30 November 2017, 17:12
Been There Done That

I don't mean to play "war monger" here. Yes were involved in a lot of other places, but who has nukes on that list. This last launch apparently was an improved Ding Dong 15 model with a nose cone capable of carry a nuke that doesn't have to be so miniaturized. Flew a long way too. They are smart little fuckers who are getting this done quickly and have use delay tactics with the US to perfection.

I don't know what's going happen no more than the next guy, but I know what I don't want to happen is have my grandchild playing duck & cover drills at school.

Quit fucking around with this guy already.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 November 2017, 17:12
Make a desert and call it peace.

Compare SK vs NK militaries, it's not even a contest. The SK's will mop the floor with the NK's, and have been able to since the early 90's.

The SK are idiots for rebuilding their capital city within arty range of the DMZ. But that's not our problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the SK's will crush the Norks in a conventional, or even nuclear fight. The only variable is the casualty numbers. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 30 November 2017, 17:18
Confirmed User

The situation is going to get even worse as the Winter Olympics approach. The Norks had offered to share them and were rapidly rebuffed.
Old 30 November 2017, 18:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Compare SK vs NK militaries, it's not even a contest. The SK's will mop the floor with the NK's, and have been able to since the early 90's.

The SK are idiots for rebuilding their capital city within arty range of the DMZ. But that's not our problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the SK's will crush the Norks in a conventional, or even nuclear fight. The only variable is the casualty numbers. S/F....Ken M
Oh, I don't think there is any doubt that Kim would lose. You know that, I know that, and everybody else in the whole world knows that. But, does Kim know it? Or care?

Unless, Kim is just building nukes and ICBMs and building up his army for defensive purposes. I guess there is a tiny chance that that is all this is about.
Old 30 November 2017, 20:05

After reading about the sheer numbers of artillery pieces pointed at Seoul, I'm stunned. I thought I read where they could put 10K shells into downtown in the first hour. Is that anywhere near correct?
Old 30 November 2017, 20:27
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Since we have had multiple opportunities to deploy our systems, I don't understand why we have not yet taken the opportunity to show NK they are stupid assholes by bitch slapping every launch.
I'm of two opinions on this. On one hand, it's nice to not show your opponent everything you can do, especially if the system you'd employ isn't 100% capable. If we tried to shoot one down and either missed, or worse, caused a deflection or some sort of damage from the falling debris.

OTOH, it would be nice to see him with egg on his face when we shoot one down. I don't think it would be enough of a spanking though.
Old 30 November 2017, 21:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
...I don't think it would be enough of a spanking though.
I liken him to having a "stalker's mentality." Meaning, anything other than No (total defeat) is a victory for him. If he tried and we simply shot it down...he would be praised for attempting it and would eventually do so again because he would seek the additional thrill.
Old 30 November 2017, 21:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
If we can decapitate NK’s nuclear program with out any “boots on the ground” then great. Let them shell SK and Japan until their hearts content.
I agree. IMO, there is nothing so great in value in NK that we should expend one American life taking it. I'm not even sure I think we should be helping defend SK. Yes, I'm still bitter about the waste of American lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
One thing is for sure... the international community is going to wail and cry and wring their hands in fear that the USA is going to do something drastic.

When NK lands a missile on Japanese soil or has a nuclear accident that DOES drift into China to cause newborn babies to start growing extra fingers and toes, the international community is going to wail and cry and wring their hands in fear that the USA is not going to do anything

...and of course there will be a constant string of leftists talking shit about the USA no matter WHAT we do
Damned if we do and damned if we don't.
Old 30 November 2017, 22:25
Genetically Deplorable

My anger is that so many Admins kicked this thing down the road. Every POTUS that ever said "I will not allow NK to acquire nukes" should be kicked in the teeth! There was plenty of time to take care of this problem before they had these news. And Seoul is going to have to be sacrificed as far as I'm concerned
Old 1 December 2017, 07:30
Been There Done That

NK is great with propaganda as I have stated before.
Around 98 or 99 I was working a Bde S2/S3 gig and gave the Bde Cmdr his Intel report every morning with Classified cover sheet. NK had a HARD winter that year and Kim's Dad was begging for rice shipments.

Once he got them, he had a squad go near the DMZ and fire some rounds into it to make news.

What appeared on the DPRK website? We scared the Yankees into the rice shipments.

That's how they play.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 1 December 2017, 10:32
Administrator

Joe Scarborough and the MSM are starting to bang the 25th Amendment drum and using the NK situation to justify it.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 1 December 2017, 11:03
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Joe Scarborough and the MSM are starting to bang the 25th Amendment drum and using the NK situation to justify it.

That would just mean we get stuck with a president that is afraid to be alone in a room with a woman who isn't his wife.
Scarborough needs to think this through a bit more.
What if he needs to have a secret meeting with Angela Merkel ????

Oh sweet baby Jesus - we are soooooo sunk
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 1 December 2017, 11:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Since we have had multiple opportunities to deploy our systems, I don't understand why we have not yet taken the opportunity to show NK they are stupid assholes by bitch slapping every launch. Why let them keep on posturing?
I don't think we want to give China the treasure trove of intel that we would reveal if we shot it down.

Much better to interdict this thing on the launch pad and give NK a plausible excuse for the failure.
Old 3 December 2017, 19:33
Confirmed User

Thoughts on a Tin Foil hat possibility that Russia, China and Iran have come together to funnel money to NK to prop it up and to keep their Nuke missile program running and making quick progress so that they can encourage the Nut job to actually launch it at the U.S. somewhere.

Russia, China, and Iran All want the U.S. involvement and projected power out of areas they want to gain influence in. What better way then convincing a whack job dictator to build and launch a nuke at us somewhere to draw us into a massive war on the Korean P that would surly involve Japan and SK that China views as regional competitors anyway. If that happened we would not be able to be in all places at all times like we are now in any kind of able force, I do not think.

All three nations could be in on it together or any one of them alone could be doing it. Either way NK is getting money and technology from somewhere and it ain't You Tube.

The case could be made for so many other connections to support why one or all three nations want the US of A knocked down a peg on the world stage at this point in history. Just my .02, call me crazy but a lot of the puzzle pieces fit this scenario.
Old 4 December 2017, 03:25
Confirmed User

NK runs a host of illegal activities so they probably get their money from there. As to nuclear technology, they probably bought it from Russia via proxy state or from Iran. Doesn't necessarily mean these states will back up NK when shit happens. I guess it was more or less a business decision nothing more. I wrote earlier in this thread that Putin could be using NK as a disposable pawn against US and this might be true given his ideology and views towards U.S. and NATO in general. China helping NK? Given what we see and what their politicians say now there is a distinct possibility that for China, the NK is rapidly passing the point of being tolerated and swiftly moving into position of being a nuisance that has to be dealt with....
Old 4 December 2017, 06:18
Make a desert and call it peace.

China helped Pakistan w/nuke design as attack on India, Pak being mercenary and selling tech to whomever is also something to be considered. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 5 December 2017, 12:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
NK runs a host of illegal activities so they probably get their money from there. As to nuclear technology, they probably bought it from Russia via proxy state or from Iran. Doesn't necessarily mean these states will back up NK when shit happens. I guess it was more or less a business decision nothing more. I wrote earlier in this thread that Putin could be using NK as a disposable pawn against US and this might be true given his ideology and views towards U.S. and NATO in general. China helping NK? Given what we see and what their politicians say now there is a distinct possibility that for China, the NK is rapidly passing the point of being tolerated and swiftly moving into position of being a nuisance that has to be dealt with....
They get a lot of money from their U.S. Currency supernote counterfeiting program, using some of the 30 tons of currency paper Carter ordered the U.S Treasury to transfer to Iran prior to the Shah being overthrown. How and why that paper got to North Korea, and what got traded for it, is another shining testament to Jimmy Carter's naÔvetť about really bad people. The USSS keeps waiting for that paper supply to run out, but it hasn't yet.
Old 9 February 2018, 07:08
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34RX View Post
The situation is going to get even worse as the Winter Olympics approach. The Norks had offered to share them and were rapidly rebuffed.
North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics

Good chance South Korean President will be invited to North Korea

Interesting developments in the last few hours.
Old 9 February 2018, 09:17
Confirmed User

Kim has some sort of limited nuclear capability (that might and probably will expand) so IMO he's now maturing and stabilizing, hoping to fit into the big boy club. Seeing how being a tough huy doesn't fly with the majority of the population on this planet, he will probably try to ease up on his tarnished image to have the sanctions lifted a bit.

This might be all bullshit of course, but I do believe that the cynicism of this regime neccesitates this move, not a real need for warm and friendly relations. This type of state operates in a way that strongly represents a sine function with other countries representing cosine function all placed on the same x axis of international relations.

Namely: The turn for the worse in behavior of the regime causes a delayed turn for the worse in its relationships with international community causing sanctions, military skirmishes, sabre rattling and getting close to hostilities. Having accomplished the "baring teeth" phase and feeling the heat, the regime goes into a turn in an opposite direction causing, again, a delayed reaction from the international community applauding the regime, lifting sanctions and said rogue state trying to milk the situation for its maximum worth.

Both ends of the spectrum have their uses. The lowest point is used to remind everyone that the regime is capable and willing to provide pain for anyone foolish to mess with it. On the other hand, the regime needs external help and money, so a warming up of relations is required to go into the "love me " phase where money can be extracted, resources replenished and the population fed enough to make the ball rolling again.

It's a passive-aggressive behavior typical of rogue, totalitarian states. A parasitic relationship.

Our new posting rules