Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 9 May 2013, 13:54
Scoundrel

Yup.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 9 May 2013, 14:00
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig
So just to confirm..... this guy is OK?
The opening shock probably didn't hurt him, so if he was conscious and had an open chute -- he should be fine....
Old 9 May 2013, 14:01
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Of course he's not! He is forever going to live on in internet infamy, bearing the brunt of jokes for many years to come

But seriously, I'm glad he's ok.
Old 9 May 2013, 14:19
Preparing to defend

MANY years to come. The story I just related is almost 36 years old. And youtube or mobile recording devices smaller than a rucksack weren't available then! Actually, today I thank the Lord that they weren't around thinking back to all the stupid shit I survived!
Old 9 May 2013, 14:58
On the Extract Bird

Ouch...holy shit I'm glad this guys is ok. 30 miles from the DZ is a long way off!
Old 9 May 2013, 16:13
Confirmed User

I never went to jump school. So in this case, would you just ride your reserve down provided it was OK, or would you deploy your main chute also?
Old 9 May 2013, 16:17
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig
So in this case, would you just ride your reserve down provided it was OK, or would you deploy your main chute also?
Ride one chute down, unless obviously damaged and not doing its job....
Old 9 May 2013, 16:30
Been There Done That

So, if you don’t physically pull the handle on your reserve, do you still get to keep the handle?

What are the rules on that?
Old 9 May 2013, 16:31
Preparing to defend

FP, on a static line jump, if the main hasn't deployed on exit, there isn't anyway to deploy the main after you have left the aircraft .
Old 9 May 2013, 16:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
FP, on a static line jump, if the main hasn't deployed on exit, there isn't anyway to deploy the main after you have left the aircraft .
Ahhhh... yeah. Copy. When I flew the jump plane for a local school they only did tandem and accelerated FF courses. No static line. I only have 5 FF jumps from 13K.
Old 9 May 2013, 17:03
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
I never went to jump school. So in this case, would you just ride your reserve down provided it was OK, or would you deploy your main chute also?
His static line was connected so both chutes would deploy.

A fully inflated reserve and main is not a big deal. The only issue is you have no steering as whatever you do to one chute the other will counter act it.

This is opposed to MFF where if you have two fully inflated chutes you are in a bad way. I thought I was going to watch my team leader fall to his death over I-10 with dual chutes on a MFF jump. You know that part in the movie Navy SEAL's where that guy has a cigarette roll and you hear everyone yelling "cut away!"? Yeah, it was like that 'cept I was thinking, "Oh, fuck, he's going to die on I-10"
Old 9 May 2013, 18:05
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Ahhhh... yeah. Copy. When I flew the jump plane for a local school they only did tandem and accelerated FF courses. No static line. I only have 5 FF jumps from 13K.
Hell, that's 5 more than I have!

And not cheap either!
Old 9 May 2013, 18:20
On the Extract Bird

I'd trade my 3 weeks of JS and 5 statics for those 5 FFs any day!! I'm just too scared of heights, and it's only getting worse as I get older.
Old 9 May 2013, 18:49
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
...It saved SFC Laws life- Bradshaw only got an ARCOM for that action ...
RGR.M, Bradshaw got a friend for life and the respect from many. What a cool head in that circumstance.
Old 9 May 2013, 19:29
Been There Done That

Not an inflight popped reserve, but sometime in either 79 or 80 we had a similar incident where a 2nd BN a Ranger sailed right through the risers of another under the belly of a C130. Both doors were getting bum-rushed, as was the norm, and the JMs weren't able to keep any sort of stagger from side-to-side. The two jumpers went out at the same time and one of them reportedly felt nylon pulling past his face, so he just grabbed it. Turns out he had grabbed the other guy's main just shy of the apex. He held on tight all the way down, both studs descending on one canopy. Neither ruck got lowered nor jettisoned, and neither Ranger got really hurt. Someone on the DZ got a picture of the two, still several hundred feet up - one good -1B with a Ranger underneath holding onto the canopy of another, who was hanging 30' below. Impact ARCOM to the quick-thinking upper Ranger, and a change of shorts for the unlucky lower Ranger.

Had he let go at anything under 600 or so it likely would have ended badly.

As an aside, I made about 150 static jumps in my time, and NEVER saw a reserve get deployed in-flight. Saw several get popped when pallets of reserves were being unloaded, but never actually aboard an AC. Lucky, I guess.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 9 May 2013, 19:44
Preparing to defend

Had one trooper's reserve pop while seated in the door of a hawk I was flying. NOW THAT scared the shit out of me. The J/M and adjacent jumpers were on it in a flash and held it down till I got the bird back on the ground.
Old 9 May 2013, 21:55
Rocket Man

Lucky MOFO
Old 9 May 2013, 22:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Spoke to his CSM today...the guy on the video is o.k.
Old 9 May 2013, 22:31
Confirmed User

While jumping at Campbell, we were all sitting on the edge of the Blackhawk climbing to altitude when this guys Main deployed, in the AC with the doors open.. you saw seven guys move faster than greased lightning to lean back/hop/jump on that main. He slid back in the AC all the way, cut away and hugged his arm full of silk after we jumped, he rode it down. Scary for about 3/4 of a second.
Old 10 May 2013, 00:10
Confirmed User

My father went to jump school in 1961 and has a book with some neat photos in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.2 KB, 341 views)

Our new posting rules