Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 19 April 2001, 17:19
adhoc
Visitor

Static Line Daisy Chain

Has anyone ever heard of this? A jump that occured in 1974 over Sicily DZ by 5th SFG(A). An 8 man stick, out of a 123 where the first 7 static lines were connected to the following mans D ring. Then the opening shock of the last chute (connected to the cable)caused a "daisy chain reaction" to open the other chutes. Seems ergonomically impossible to me- as in splat.
Old 19 April 2001, 20:09
Tracy
Visitor

I don't know about 7 personnel, but 3 people out in a daisy-chain will DEFINITELY put 3d jumper REAL close to the ground: i.e. 1 or 2 seconds under canopy.

God help the jumper if his predecessor has a malfunction.

Believe me, I have first-hand experience with daisy chains.
Old 19 April 2001, 21:36
Authorized Personnel

PTSD (Post Tramatic Splat Disorder)
Old 20 April 2001, 04:12
Been There Done That

I know of several incidents of this happening, but not the one cited above.

Daisy chains were a 'cheap thirll' back in the day. They are big-time taboo, now days. Hell, you can't even mention it, whenever you are on Green Ramp. Ft. Bragg (read-Division )has the "Jump Nazis" out there, trying to 'de-certify' every jumpmaster out there.

My, how times have changed....
Old 23 April 2001, 18:07
Tracy
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by E19:
PTSD (Post Tramatic Splat Disorder)
Or:
Sudden Deceleration Injury.

Old 23 April 2001, 18:37
adhoc
Visitor

Since this person is still walking (and climbing mountains) I figured there was no way.
Old 24 April 2001, 11:31
adhoc
Visitor

ok. 90 lbs of tourque to open a chute is plausible under last mans openning shock. And about 150 ft of static line X's 7 jumpers out of a high performance aircraft at what, 3000 ft.?
Old 19 May 2001, 14:52
colmurph
Visitor

Somebody might have gotten away with something like that in the '60's but not the 70's. We made a lot of jumps at Sicily on calm days from 5,000 feet to play around with the MC-1's and it could be done with an 8 man stick from that altitude but I sure wouldn't want to be #8. I've seen it done with one guy attached to the D ring but both jumpers got an Article 15's for doing it and the Jumpmaster was reprimanded for missing it on the JM check in the A/C. Sounds like a "War Story" to me. Even a demo team wouldn't have been allowed to do something stupid like that.
Old 19 May 2001, 21:33
Spotlight_Ranger
Visitor

I heard of it being done in the 50s, and it was usually said about guys in the 101st, yes they used to be airborne. The best stories I heard about at Bragg in the 60s was the attempts to rob the division payroll.
Old 19 May 2001, 21:45
Confirmed User

I too have heard of it done. But it was out of the OV-10. So after the Jump Master finished his check they would hook up to each others D ring. Never saw it, just SCUTTLEBUTT.

RAT OUT!!!
Old 19 May 2001, 23:27
Confirmed User

I asked...no one was willing to try
Old 20 May 2001, 18:44
Sharky
Visitor

There was an incident in 88 over Fryar involving a SGT Jackson and a SPC Rogers. Jackson was PM on a 130 tailgate and hooked into Rogers' main lift web and jumped. Rogers shit his pants. Jackson got an article 15. They forgave him for that one, but when he threw 2 CS grenades into a club in OK City while home on leave, they weren't so forgiving.

------------------
F.I.D.O.
Old 20 May 2001, 22:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharky:
There was an incident in 88 over Fryar involving a SGT Jackson and a SPC Rogers. Jackson was PM on a 130 tailgate and hooked into Rogers' main lift web and jumped. Rogers shit his pants.
Fin-boy....

I am curious, was Rogers pulled out of the plane as/before Jackson's pack tray deployed, or was he able to hang on? I'm thinking with the straight-shot off the ramp inherent in tailgate jumping, he was pulled right out(?)

Either way, it must have been funny as hell, albeit dangerous.

Old 21 May 2001, 01:27
Sharky
Visitor

Tack.....I wasn't there to see it but the word I got was that Rogers didn't go out. Musta been a helluva yank though huh? LOL Matter of fact, if memory serves Rogers had to unhook and go sit down. I cant remember if he made the jump in another stick or not. I was in another bird.

------------------
F.I.D.O.
Old 28 September 2017, 00:15
Been There Done That

Necro Posting:

In the late 70's scuttlebutt was that this was actually pretty common in Division, but the daisy chain would be no more than two hooked to the 3rd man anchor, or just one guy hooking to an anchor guy, like Sharky's Jackson and Rogers.

I'd imagine a two-way shooting the door tight on a mass tac where the sticks are being pushed would be actually pretty easy to get away with.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 29 September 2017, 16:05
Preparing to defend

All I ever heard while assigned to the deuce, between 75 & 86, was just old rumors. Or it was kept real quiet.
Old 29 September 2017, 19:20
Administrator

Do you guys truly understand how fucking crazy you sound to us younger guys?

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 29 September 2017, 19:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post

Did the younger guys tell you that?
Old 29 September 2017, 19:51
Been There Done That

I once had a guy tell some of us that he had done a static-line daisy chain into an air show. I knew he was FOS, as he was of the same age/generation as me, and I knew that this was, quite simply, horse shit. This conversation occurred over twenty years ago. We were young, brand-new SF guys at the time.

The guy that told the story went on the become one of the most impressive warriors this nation has ever produced, period. He is now pretty much a living legend.

I have thought of that over the years, and always figured that even a bullshit artist can turn out pretty damn well.
Old 29 September 2017, 20:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I second this, though I don't consider myself that much of a younger guy. I've done some crazy shit before but this sounds like one of those "hold my beer" deals.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules