SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 July 2018, 04:17
Six Minutes!

Drill Sergeants are real people too

Almost 20 years ago, I went through initial entry training with the Army.

There was one Drill Sergeant who stood out to me as particularly Badass, the toughest of the tough. R Lee Ermey has nothing on him.

I was thinking of him recently and Googled him. He's active on Facebook, and I sent him a message of thanks for his mentorship back in 1999.

To my surprise, he remembers me. He and I have conversed a bit, and he is still the Badass I remember, yet very personable, and interested in my life since the Army brought us together.

Anyone else look up former Drill Sergeants or mentors and have post military conversations?

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 29 July 2018, 06:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

A Drill Sergeant who remembers you, never a good sign.

Never had the urge to reach out to any of them, but they were pretty squared away and trained us as well as could be expected in the short amount of time we spent with them.

One of my Drills was actually on the ground at Desert One, not as part of the raiding party but as a Pathfinder that helped set up and secure the landing zone. He was a tough son of a gun as I recall, no nonsense. Often wondered if he fired the LAWS that took out the oil tanker.

Wouldn't put it past him.

Last edited by Spinner; 29 July 2018 at 06:13.
Old 29 July 2018, 07:06
In Vino Veritas

One of my DS was kind of a shit bag but funny as hell. A friend and I still laugh at the stuff that came out of his mouth. I’ll never forget conducting a “raid” in basic, If there is anything worse than an abortion that is what we did. After it was all said and done we were lined up on a fire break, full summer moon lighting up the sand on a fire break, he sits on the side of the road, lights up a cigarette, and proceeds to says, “y’all fucking stupid. Ya’ll say Hooah, Hooah Drill Sgt, but you don’t know shit. Fuck you mother fuckers.” LMAO. Still makes me laugh.

The other plt DS was a former 3/75 guy. Nice enough and tried to teach us stuff but let’s face it. Out of 35 or so guys in my plt about 5 of us went on to do good things.
Old 29 July 2018, 07:23
Calix Meus Inebrians

Ran into my Drill Sergeant at the Arifjan PX 9-10 years after basic training. I was a contractor having been out for a year or so, he (not surprisingly) had made it to Sergeant Major. Glad we got the chance to chat a bit, and I made sure to thank him for the tough love, and lifelong lessons.
Old 29 July 2018, 07:26
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
... “y’all fucking stupid. Ya’ll say Hooah, Hooah Drill Sgt, but you don’t know shit. Fuck you mother fuckers.”...
That's all time.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 29 July 2018, 07:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Anyone else look up former Drill Sergeants or mentors and have post military conversations?
MP Corps is pretty small. I met all three of my Drills once I left Basic/AIT and still friends with one of them based on mutual friends. He retired out as E8 and works GS at Bragg so a good contact to have.
Old 29 July 2018, 09:48
Unemployed Stunt Double

My drill sergeants were all clowns. At the time, I suspected that they were not stellar soldiers. With the benefit of hindsight and 26 years of Army experience, I know they were complete douchebags.
Old 29 July 2018, 10:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
That's all time.
Tell me about it. He was a shit bag but he made me laugh for 17 weeks.
Old 29 July 2018, 11:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Apparently one of my recruits looked me up last year and PM'd me on Facebook. I vaguely remember him, 23yrs ago, which means he was average, neither stellar nor a shitbird, because you remember them. A couple years ago I had a SgtMaj approach me in the PX on Pendleton and introduce himself that I was his Sr. Drill Instructor. I was like, damn I'm old. The SDI he mentions in the Facebook PM is now SgtMaj Thresher, II MEF SgtMaj and probably the next SgtMaj MarCorps.
Attached Images
File Type: png B1.png (34.4 KB, 420 views)
File Type: png B2.png (37.4 KB, 425 views)
File Type: png B3.png (25.9 KB, 423 views)
Old 29 July 2018, 12:12
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I'll never forget the Drill who accompanied my group in the cattle car from the Reception Bn to our basic training site at Tank Hill, about a 10 minute ride.

You could have heard a pin drop, nobody was saying anything. Complete silence other than the sound of the vehicle moving along.

About 5 minutes in the Drill said these immortal words: "Y'all keep your fuckin' mouths shut. Y'all don't say a fuckin' word".

Words to live by.
Old 29 July 2018, 12:34
Been There Done That

I don't even remember my PSG. one of mine was an 11M SSG. not a bad dude, definitely the one to go to inspect weapons for turn in. the other was an 11B SSG out of the 101st. both were DS vets. he played at being hard. he was in my Ranger school class and I saw him in the 5 mile run fall out formation after the run. I ran into him after, while getting a haircut.

"so uh... how'd you do in school?"

"I went straight through no issues, you?"

"oh, ITB wouldn't pay for me, so I had to go back to work."

"man, that's too bad."

he knew I knew, and he dipped out after that. I started laughing and told my barber that he fell out of the run.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 30 July 2018, 21:41
Confirmed User

I remember the names of all three of my Drills from my first run at Basic Training in 1985. One was a former Ranger who liked to show us where he almost got his finger shot off in Grenada. The second was a 13 B, pretty squared away and took his job serious. The third, the platoon sgt, was always drunk.

I reclassed to 11M in 1993, and had to go through 15 weeks of OSUT at Ft Benning. I can't remember anything about my Drills. I remember the First Sergeant though, he was an asshole.
Old 30 July 2018, 21:58
Six Minutes!

To be clear, this was a Drill Sergeant in AIT, with the same MOS as me... we spent more time together than basic.

I remember the last names of my basic DS's, but nothing more. One was an 88M, and the other was 11 series... they weren't professionally memorable.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 30 July 2018, 23:30
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

BCT 1978 Ft. Leonard Wood, MS

SSG Greely

Greely had a strong American Indian background and was married to a Korean woman he met there, one son.

SFC Pelz
Pelz wore those G.I. glasses and had aircrew wings. He wasn't around much.

Not my platoon, but in my company, and easily the most memorable:

SSG Below (sp) ("Bee-low") Former Marine, word was he lost a lung getting shot in VN, the USMC put him out, he enlisted in the Army. (turns out there's a LOT of this Marine to Army thing goes on, why is that?)

He had a very erect posture when marching, almost British Sgt. Maj.- like but minus the swagger stick. There was also a rumor that he had trained the Dalmatian that followed him everywhere to do "dog pushups" on command.

I win the AUSA Honor Award. I drill the Mexican fellow trainee that is going to be doing all the announcing of names, hometowns, etc. at the ceremony for that and High PT, High BRM etc. for like 15 minutes so he could correctly pronounce "Saskatoon Saskatchewan". Of course when it 's time for real, he fucks it up.

Afterwards, Below calls me over:

"Yes Drill Sergeant".

"Are you an American, boy?"

"Yes Drill Sergeant".

"Good. Move out"

"Yes Drill Sergeant".

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 30 July 2018, 23:36
Been There Done That

I went thru OSUT. Basic/AIT together at FBGA. Just about anyone in 1980 that was an E-7 or above was a Nam Veteran. Our Jr. Drill was a thin black SSG. He always wore sunglasses. I don't think I saw him more than a half-dozen times without them. He was like "the man with no eyes" on Cool Hand Luke but without the rifle & cane stick. I did my 1st tour with the 101st and met him there a couple years later except he was a 1st Lt. then in an Arty unit. I don't remember the conversation.

The Senior Drill was a cool guy. Didn't see him a whole helluva lot. Nam vet. He would wear a 1st Cav combat patch one day. Next time you saw him he might wear the old unauthorized Airborne Ranger Infantry Company scroll with no Company indicated IIRC. I assume he was in the Company supporting the 1st Cav Division. Canadian guy named Yetman.

He saved me from an Article 15 after AIT. They asked me to stay on and be a Drill Corporal for the next class to which I said no. I was offered advanced promotions, choice of schools after the next class was over and choice of assignments. In retrospect it was probably a mistake but whatever. Anyhow, my refusal to stay on pissed the old 1SG off. I think he fucked my orders up on purpose and I was in holdover status for an extra week.

This was at Harmony Church. Matter of fact my old OSUT Battalion HQ'S was the Sniper School HQ's building next to RTB when I retired. One of the very few buildings left standing there. There wasn't much to do as a holdover. I avoided the Harmony Church PX like the plague because all the RI's went there and I was terrified of them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 31 July 2018, 02:21
Confirmed User

Karma is a bitch...in our recruit training, each recruit platoon was broken up into sections, and each section had a dedicated recruit instructor.

My instructor was fond of making us stand against a brick wall, and then punch us in the head so our heads would then hit the brick wall.

He died on a motorcycle course a few months later, and I got well and truly drunk that night to celebrate. Fuck him.
Old 31 July 2018, 09:55
Authorized Personnel

My platoon had five DI's during our class. Three of them, I never cared to follow up on because -- to this day -- I think they are tools. Not because of how they treated us, but because they were tools personally.

However, there were two that I respected greatly and of the two, I respected one to the utmost. I still remember him, Sgt. Richard Lamelin. Since I was the platoon "scribe", he and I had some actual "real" conversations when we were alone. He was a Recon Marine, and I was one of the few that went in on a guaranteed 03 contract out of the 86 recruits in our class so we had a lot of "Grunt" talks behind closed doors. He actually took time to poor knowledge into me above and beyond what he did in his day-to-day job.

He made enough of an impact that I was speaking about him to a family member this past week. He was a great guy and I truly respected him.
Old 31 July 2018, 09:58
0311/8651

1970-MCRDSD-Corrillo,Winchester, Lebrun(sp)(Canadian)
Never saw them again, they were all VNvets
Good friend of mine, MCRDSD Sgt Maj,Sgt Maj of 1st Mar Div, slatted for Sgt Maj of MC, retired instead in 2007.Sgt Maj Pulley
Old 31 July 2018, 10:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
My platoon had five DI's during our class. Three of them, I never cared to follow up on because -- to this day -- I think they are tools. Not because of how they treated us, but because they were tools personally.

However, there were two that I respected greatly and of the two, I respected one to the utmost. I still remember him, Sgt. Richard Lamelin. Since I was the platoon "scribe", he and I had some actual "real" conversations when we were alone. He was a Recon Marine, and I was one of the few that went in on a guaranteed 03 contract out of the 86 recruits in our class so we had a lot of "Grunt" talks behind closed doors. He actually took time to poor knowledge into me above and beyond what he did in his day-to-day job.

He made enough of an impact that I was speaking about him to a family member this past week. He was a great guy and I truly respected him.
Silverbullet and I know Rick very well. He retired a few years ago as a SgtMaj and is doing well for himself.
Old 31 July 2018, 10:52
pumpin gas and kickin ass

I had a bunch of pogues for mine. The Senior was a grunt that I ran into on a Westpac.

During Final Inspection for the uniform, they bring in DI's from the other platoons to grade. As they were going down the line, I noticed this guy had wings and a bubble. He asked me why I joined the corps to start the inspection and I told him I wanted to become a Force Recon Marine.

He smiled, and went through the motions on the inspection but did not ding me for shit. That little shit head POG's head was about to explode as he was eagerly waiting to write shit down. He literally almost asked the dude if had missed something. It was the sweetest revenge I could have ever gotten, and I think he did it just to fuck with the little piss ant, not to reward me in any way.

I never specifically confirmed who it was, but there were not many dark green FR DI's circa 98 in San Diego. Good times.

Our new posting rules