SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 May 2018, 19:01
Authorized Personnel

The BS that existed when I was growing up died years ago. Sure, there are some dens out there that have fought the good fight, but they have lost -- as a whole.

Personally, if I would have still been involved with them, I would have pushed for them to fight this stupidity -- on principle -- until they were completely broke and then had to shut the doors. But, they conceded and now it will turn into yet another social experiment where boys will have to merge with their feminine side.

Oh well...so sad....
Old 3 May 2018, 19:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Boy Scouts up to Life / OA. The great thing was this was in East TN, and we were on the Appalachian Train pretty much non-stop, except for when we were caving. My most noble wish as a young teen was to to to Philmont, which never happened.

BSA blew it, big time.
I started as a boy scout in Asheville, with a troop that went camping every month. We spent all kinds of times in either the Pisgah NF or in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Great times. Then we moved to Connecticut and I joined a troop that was more concerned about earning merit badges than outdoor stuff. I remember quitting because "they can't force me to take the Citizenship in the XXX badge!!"
Old 3 May 2018, 22:01
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I started as a boy scout in Asheville, with a troop that went camping every month. We spent all kinds of times in either the Pisgah NF or in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Great times. Then we moved to Connecticut and I joined a troop that was more concerned about earning merit badges than outdoor stuff. I remember quitting because "they can't force me to take the Citizenship in the XXX badge!!"
LOL. Yeah, I had all the outdoor type merit badges. Camping, canoeing, outdoor cooking, wilderness survival, shooting, etc. I never earned the citizenship in the world, etc ones. I was told I'd never make Eagle Scout, and I was OK with that. I loved the outdoor stuff. We camped about 3 times a year, and I would have loved doing it every month
Old 3 May 2018, 22:15
Confirmed User

Trans male scouts who transition to girls can now earn the split tail badge.
Old 4 May 2018, 03:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Sure, there are some dens out there that have fought the good fight, but they have lost -- as a whole.
I know this from experience. But look on the bright side - in several years the people who promote these weird principles will suddenly decide it's time to reinvent the wheel and voila: everything will return back to sanity. Only for some moron to start fiddling with it some time later....and the circle continues.

I stopped caring for various organization's and media's ideology quite a long time ago. I stopped battling against, or caring about, the agendas some rich fucks promote to topple normal life and estabilish some weird contorted clown park that is built on sand and will topple anyway. All of this strongly remind me of Soviet Union where lots of bullshit was created on a whim of some morons who thought they found a golden standard for living, working and thinking only to quickly fade away or crash and burn.
Old 4 May 2018, 10:48

This is a topic close to me, I am a life for and an OA member and assistant scoutmaster. My oldest is an Eagle and my middle is waiting on National to approve his. I have been involved in scouting for almost 30yrs, the last 20 as an adult leader.

While there have been many changes to the program (some good, some bad), there is no other youth program even close to Boy Scouts. My daughter is a Girl Scout and that program is truly a train wreck.

The scout program has had a coed component for decades through explorers and then venturing so this isnít as great a change as it appears.

Forgive the wall of text, I guess what I am trying to say is the adult leadership (volunteers not paid staff) are what make the program and if all the adults abandon the youth whatís left for them?
Old 4 May 2018, 11:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rftech View Post
This is a topic close to me, I am a life for and an OA member and assistant scoutmaster. My oldest is an Eagle and my middle is waiting on National to approve his. I have been involved in scouting for almost 30yrs, the last 20 as an adult leader.

While there have been many changes to the program (some good, some bad), there is no other youth program even close to Boy Scouts. My daughter is a Girl Scout and that program is truly a train wreck.

The scout program has had a coed component for decades through explorers and then venturing so this isnít as great a change as it appears.

Forgive the wall of text, I guess what I am trying to say is the adult leadership (volunteers not paid staff) are what make the program and if all the adults abandon the youth whatís left for them?
Maybe all of you sane adults who "make the program" take a stand, band together, and create a new org that is what BSA used to be? I GUARANTEE you that there are plenty of potential corporate and private sponsors that would contribute the needed capital as long as you can show that you are organized and have a good plan. Lead the way, by example, and others will follow.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 May 2018, 12:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Maybe all of you sane adults who "make the program" take a stand, band together, and create a new org that is what BSA used to be? I GUARANTEE you that there are plenty of potential corporate and private sponsors that would contribute the needed capital as long as you can show that you are organized and have a good plan. Lead the way, by example, and others will follow.
Trail Life has been gaining in popularity as the BSA drifts off course.
Old 4 May 2018, 12:39
Deplorable

The only way to defeat this 'Progressive-ism' is to fight it.

Make a stand.

They [The Liberal Progressives] are not gonna stop.

Imagine where we'd be if the 2nd Amendment wasn't fought for.

Sharky's right. It's all about LEADERSHIP. [Ours vs. Theirs]
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 4 May 2018, 12:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Trail Life has been gaining in popularity as the BSA drifts off course.

That certainly looks very promising as long as the religious aspects of the program aren't seen as mandatory for participation. I personally have no problem with it, but too many people will avoid it (IMO) if they think the program is simply a means of recruiting for the churches that support the program. I would prefer to see a program that focuses on Patriotism and Civic Responsibility that would serve to offset the left wing indoctrination they get in K-12 and college.

-ZZ Top
Old 4 May 2018, 13:04
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
...Imagine where we'd be if the 2nd Amendment wasn't fought for.

We'd all be in Chicago?
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 4 May 2018, 13:06
Been There Done That

Some Church groups have or are starting their own groups - like the Royal Rangers. Maybe we will a rise in this also.

If I had the backing and funds I would start an organization based on my experiences as an Eagle Scout and former backcountry staff at Philmont. How the Scouts use to be and was originally set up to to be. Not what has happened over the last couple of decades.

Adventure, challenge, outdoor skills, survival, service, good deeds, fitness, community, faith, abiding by your oaths, adherence to standards and absolutes, stewards of the environment, conservation minded, showing compassion for the weak and elderly, being men of integrity , virtue and honor. These were the attributes drilled into me in the scouting of my youth.

Teach young men to live by the oath and law, to take a stand, to put virtue and honor over money, to do the right thing even if not politically correct or brings scorn from pop culture or media. Unfortunately too many in not just BSA leadership, but many of our political and military leadership these days do not set the standard or have a spine anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 May 2018, 13:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

If I had the backing and funds I would start an organization based on my experiences as an Eagle Scout and former backcountry staff at Philmont. How the Scouts use to be and was originally set up to to be.

That's what I am saying. I think it could be done, and I think the money is there for you if you have a PLAN and you get ORGANIZED. Hell, use Facebook and start a group movement. Get organized on there. Use GoFundme to collect some initial funding. Use the tools of the left against them. Then, use our tools, like go find the companies who didn't abandon the NRA and hit them up first to help fund it.

-ZZ Top
Old 4 May 2018, 13:46
Confirmed User

The good news is that there is a new Parenting merit badge. Takes 9 months to complete, some pre-work is required.
Old 4 May 2018, 16:35
giving you a number

Quote:
That's what I am saying. I think it could be done, and I think the money is there for you if you have a PLAN and you get ORGANIZED. Hell, use Facebook and start a group movement. Get organized on there. Use GoFundme to collect some initial funding. Use the tools of the left against them. Then, use our tools, like go find the companies who didn't abandon the NRA and hit them up first to help fund it.
Baden Powell had an idea, William Boyce had a plan. There's nothing sacrosanct about the Boy Scouts - kids are looking for the program, not the politics.

I enjoyed Scouting as a kid, spent about 20 years supporting it as an adult. I recall from my time as a kid that it was what we did as a troop that was exciting. We went on some great campouts/trips. If an organization can create that same opportunity, they will win.

I agree with others who have already pointed out that this has been coming in BSA (or whatever we call it now) for a long time. It's been 15+ years since I was involved with the program but it was slipping back when I was a leader. This is just the final throes of a beast that's been dying for a while.
Old 4 May 2018, 17:06
Clorox bearer for SOTB

The only thing bad about that idea is that, once you reinvent the wheel, and start a really good boys club, the same assholes will come along, and file their lawsuits, and fuck it up again.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 4 May 2018, 19:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
The only thing bad about that idea is that, once you reinvent the wheel, and start a really good boys club, the same assholes will come along, and file their lawsuits, and fuck it up again.
And so you turn the tables and make them the bad guys. Go down with the ship if need be.

-ZZ Top
Old 4 May 2018, 22:28
Spice Weasel

Quote:
And so you turn the tables and make them the bad guys. Go down with the ship if need be.
And never seek sponsorship from .gov. I think that's what caused BSA's slide. Schools, police, firefighters, etc. sponsored units and BSA liked sucking that tit too much. When they started pulling out in response to the PC crowd, the milky tit went with them. BSA knew this was coming nearly 20 years ago and started planning for it financially on the fund raising side, but I don't know if they got the other side of the house in order.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 4 May 2018, 22:36
Make a desert and call it peace.

The problem with the BSA was the same parasite filth paid "professional leadership" that most all nonprofits have. Volunteers and interns do most/all the hard work, and these filth make 6 figure salaries. And can't wait to throw out any/all standards, traditions and policies of the organization in order to signal their own virtue to progressives. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 5 May 2018, 13:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The problem with the BSA was the same parasite filth paid "professional leadership" that most all nonprofits have. Volunteers and interns do most/all the hard work, and these filth make 6 figure salaries. And can't wait to throw out any/all standards, traditions and policies of the organization in order to signal their own virtue to progressives. S/F....Ken M
Really great post that speaks the truth.

Our new posting rules