SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 14 April 2020, 18:06
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
If this is the freedom forums then that has to include the consumers freedom to choose to be stacked and tracked.
What if the choice is made on lack of knowledge or even blatant lies?

I don't want to go down the path of thinking that someone needs to make decisions for the "dumb people", but there is so much misinformation out there, that the "freedom to choose" actually isn't what it seems to be.
Old 14 April 2020, 19:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
What if the choice is made on lack of knowledge or even blatant lies?

I don't want to go down the path of thinking that someone needs to make decisions for the "dumb people", but there is so much misinformation out there, that the "freedom to choose" actually isn't what it seems to be.
Lies are a different animal. Slippery slope the rest of it.
Old 1 June 2020, 09:02
Authorized Personnel

Well, that didn’t take long.

https://bgr.com/2020/05/30/minnesota...demonstrators/
Old 1 June 2020, 09:13
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I don't mind PROVIDED it is voluntary, a person opts in and there is no backdoor, secret collection of location data.
Problem is that there will ALWAYS be a backdrop. Always. And after this, there are always going to be even more backdoors now. Some people think the movie "Minority Report" as simple theater. The ability to predict behavior via sentiment based analytics was accurate to almost 90% four years ago. And that was without direct access to an individuals data.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 1 June 2020, 20:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Looking at the original source (twitter but so it goes) https://twitter.com/search?q=minneso...ypeahead_click
it sounds like what they are doing is just investigating the people they arrest...contact tracing is becoming a nice new buzzword is all.

For now. I've not doubt that any and all apps/programs used to track the current, and next, big scary thing will be used improperly against US citizens. Just not happening yet.
Old 1 June 2020, 22:46
Authorized Personnel

Yep, it's the case that a local official used the term 'Contact Tracing" and the internet (including myself) temporarily blew a gasket.
Old 1 June 2020, 22:58
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
Looking at the original source (twitter but so it goes) https://twitter.com/search?q=minneso...ypeahead_click
it sounds like what they are doing is just investigating the people they arrest...contact tracing is becoming a nice new buzzword is all.

For now. I've not doubt that any and all apps/programs used to track the current, and next, big scary thing will be used improperly against US citizens. Just not happening yet.
Yes but...
Tech is such that large scale group sentiment can be assessed and judged by understanding application traffic. Identity based political platforms have made it easier to get accurate predictive analytics as well.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 3 June 2020, 07:47
BTDT

Don't know how I missed this one. The difference between 'Big Data'TM tracking you like a dog, and the NSA - is that the NSA tracking can fucking kill you...or at least indefinitely detain you. The worst problem of all, is when the two assholes work together, and .gov gets a private company to violate the Bill of Rights, and then indemnifies that company from prosecution.

If "like a dog tracking" is to occur - I'd rather have a 100% Chinese Phone and Apps as a US Citizen...what's the Chinese .gov going to do to you, in America? You think they're sharing data with US intelligence? LOL!

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Old 3 June 2020, 09:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Don't know how I missed this one. The difference between 'Big Data'TM tracking you like a dog, and the NSA - is that the NSA tracking can fucking kill you...or at least indefinitely detain you. The worst problem of all, is when the two assholes work together, and .gov gets a private company to violate the Bill of Rights, and then indemnifies that company from prosecution.
I feel like it's only a matter of time before private sector data/ monitoring results in deaths as well, if it hasn't already. How long until you can't get health insurance because of how often you eat junk food? Or you're denied medical care because your Netflix consumption implies a sedentary lifestyle?
Old 3 June 2020, 15:24
Confirmed User

I have a Droid phone. I have turned off all tracking items associated with Google.
Google states there is a COVID 19 notification I can turn off, but I can not find anything at all. I am wondering if this notification is the same as POTUS emergency alerts, which you cant shut off.
I do my best to turn things off on my phone from ads to tracking.
Any idea where the contact tracing is within a droid phone?
Old 3 June 2020, 18:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Don't know how I missed this one. The difference between 'Big Data'TM tracking you like a dog, and the NSA - is that the NSA tracking can fucking kill you...or at least indefinitely detain you.
The bigger problem is FISA allows NSA to commandeer Google/Facebook/Apple/etc... data. They only need to build the bridge, then get to gleefully use what companies have built.
Old 3 June 2020, 19:52
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
I feel like it's only a matter of time before private sector data/ monitoring results in deaths as well, if it hasn't already.
This is a very interesting aspect that is far more problematic than the FISA issue. FISA has voice cuts. Spotty metadata-driven action based on poorly done analysis is something to be concerned about.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 3 June 2020, 19:53
Scoundrel

double post

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

Last edited by Jimbo; 3 June 2020 at 20:01.
Old 3 June 2020, 20:00
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
The bigger problem is FISA allows NSA to commandeer Google/Facebook/Apple/etc... data. They only need to build the bridge, then get to gleefully use what companies have built.
Title III warrants do essentially the same thing.

Our new posting rules