SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Closed Thread

Old 19 October 2018, 16:58
I really don't care

Petition to stop VA from using private security to guard Confederate statues

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I'm one of those who believe all of the statues should remain. We can't erase our history. I don't know the current strength of the VA police system but it seems like maybe they should take more control of this. But at the same time, I'm not sure it's even an issue at all.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/780/552/319/
Old 19 October 2018, 20:28
Been There Done That

I just wish everyone would respect the POS who got drafted and didn't have a dog in the fight. For the love of God, if some poor German peasant came to the US and put a (Nazi WW II) flag over the grave of her loved one that died and was buried here, that would be understandable IMHO. Respect for the soldier that obeyed and did his duty...….
Old 19 October 2018, 20:38
I really don't care

Well said sir. In Normandy they do it for all the warriors buried there, American and French.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_1285074218_1_normandy-american-cemetery.jpg (69.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 20 October 2018, 00:09
BTDT

I tend to suspect that the people who would like the VA to stop securing Confederate monuments are the same people that the VA is protecting the monuments from. I also suspect that those same people could give a fuck less about money for veterans.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 20 October 2018, 00:17
BTDT

I tend to suspect that the people who would like the VA to stop securing Confederate monuments are the same people that the VA is protecting the monuments from. I also suspect that those same people could give a fuck less about money for veterans.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 20 October 2018, 10:31
Authorized Personnel

Hiring private security is a fixed cost. Using VA police officers would require hiring new people, creating a long term cost including training, benefits, retirement, etc.

These security guards are not just protecting the graves and monuments, they're also protecting the workers and visitors to these sites.

I believe the men buried in these graves weren't gloating and cackling over their opportunity to die in support of slavery. They were men doing their duty as they saw it. We can at least honor that. I'd hate for anyone the throw feces or blood on my gravestone.
Old 20 October 2018, 11:03
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Hiring private security is a fixed cost. Using VA police officers would require hiring new people, creating a long term cost including training, benefits, retirement, etc.
And most likely lots of OT. Good points, especially about the fixed cost. Makes good sense.
Old 20 October 2018, 12:35
Administrator

This is not a veteran issue, nor a particularly interesting one.

Closed
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules