SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 5 October 2018, 15:03
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
If you are in a higher number priority group, they look at your income. I had to use the VA for a year as healthcare because Tricare fucked up my Retired Reserve coverage. I thought I was in the highest (lowest priority) group, but then I was told I was in group 1, having a rating of 60%.
This is a link for the 2018 co-pay

https://va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/resour...lance_2018.pdf
Old 5 October 2018, 15:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
The Cleveland area VA people have been outstanding.
The Cleveland VA's director Sue Fuehrer is a close personal friend of mine, and she is one of the finest, hard-working, take-no-shit, VETERANS FIRST civilians I know. She's 100% dedicated to the cause to an almost fanatical level. Good to know that she is effective; leadership rolls downhill...

https://www.cleveland.va.gov/about/leadership.asp

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 5 October 2018, 18:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The Cleveland VA's director Sue Fuehrer is a close personal friend of mine, and she is one of the finest, hard-working, take-no-shit, VETERANS FIRST civilians I know. She's 100% dedicated to the cause to an almost fanatical level. Good to know that she is effective; leadership rolls downhill...

https://www.cleveland.va.gov/about/leadership.asp
God Bless her...I mean seriously, God Bless her. Such a rare breed these days, no matter the occupation.
Old 5 October 2018, 22:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
God Bless her...I mean seriously, God Bless her. Such a rare breed these days, no matter the occupation.
It is an honor to call her a friend, and I tell her that about twice a month.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 7 October 2018, 11:25
Been There Done That

Interesting about hearing could be up from 0 Percent. I had all my records of the hearing loss over the years while in and it's way worse today.

It is what, made my wife go over the edge and tell me to get off my ass and go see the VA. She got tired of me saying "huh"? Or not realizing how loud I had the television.

I was explained to me that I'd have to be stone deaf for hearing not to be 0% rating. I did get hearing aids, I don't wear them currently, there was too much to hear!

Good luck in your journey. I had great success in Houston but know many who did not.
Old 7 October 2018, 11:29
Administrator

Getting a 0 percent rating has always been important vs not getting a rating.
Old 7 October 2018, 11:39
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Getting a 0 percent rating has always been important vs not getting a rating.
My understanding being a 0% can be easily re-evaluated as/if the injury worsens.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 7 October 2018, 11:42
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The Cleveland VA's director Sue Fuehrer
Spoke to Sue through email. Great person, excelling vets experience there. She helped greatly in my low-t situation. Took the time to in sure my Endocrinologist made sure I was taken care of.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 24 October 2018, 12:14
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
The new hearing aids some have Bluetooth ability. Make sure you get the top of the line ones. Free repair, battery's etc.
Just got done getting fitted and will have them in a few weeks. Not being able to hear well was starting to negativitly effect my life.

For those on the fence, Chuck Norris wrote an excellent article on hearing loss. It motivated me to get checked.
Old 24 October 2018, 18:04
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
My VSO says that it's pretty easy to get the 0% raised, especially if my hearing is demonstrably worse now than it was in 1992. And it is.
Did he say anything about that Cranial-Rectal Inversion issue you have? Then again, it's probably not covered by the VA

I did the same thing back in the early days post EAOS. I was originally given multiple claims, but all rated at 0%. Then the hearing/tinnitus started. Went to 10%. After 18 years post service, I'm now at 60% for back , hearing and other broken stuff.
Old 29 October 2018, 08:24
Administrator

So, latest update: Was having some pretty serious back pain last week. Back pain has been continuous for years, but because I am a strong Ranger, not a smart Ranger, I forgot I am not 25 years old and decided that I could cut down some trees, cut them into 6' lengths, pick them up and move them. And I did, no problem. Until the next morning when I felt like I had been in a car wreck. Back pain was so bad that stepping down the stairs too hard would cause pain that would take my breath away.

So, I decided to give the VA Doc a try. As instructed, I just logged into the secure messaging center online, told them what was going on, and that I needed some non-opioid relief. Within 2 hours I had a response from the nurse saying that she would make sure the Doc got my message and action taken by COB. Next thing I know I get an email saying that I have a package enroute from the VA. Meds arrived the next day in the mail. Back is doing much better now after 3 days on the meds. So, so far my experience has been nothing but positive.

But, that is VA Healthcare. Not the Compensation and Pension side.

I will be sitting down with my VSO this week to review and organize my medical records for compensation claim submission. Will update on that as I go along.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 October 2018, 14:35
A lost ball in high weeds

I've needed hearing aids for a long time now (according to the VA). Loud ringing tinnitus. I finally gave in last week and the aids are on order. I hope they make a difference. I play the TV too loud (according to the wife) and also have to turn on the CC to read the words I don't quite catch.
Old 29 October 2018, 18:38
Confirmed User

Glad the VA is taking good care of ya.
If you dont mind, what meds did they send ya in the mail?
I have hearing problems and the VA did some speech recognition tests and my results werent good. I have a tendency to speak soft, as people cant really hear me. Not sure what that means, but VA is working on my back, shoulder and knee problems.. Better than what they did for my Dad. Took him 11 years after retiring for VA to accept his issues. My Dad kept impeccable records..
Old 29 October 2018, 20:48
Moving Target

I'm glad its working out for you. I was awarded 10% for tinnitus back in 95, I filed a claim the day I discharged and got a back pay check in the mail one day about a year later.
Old 29 October 2018, 21:05
Administrator

Ok, so here's what I know. Yes you get 0% for loss of hearing. That will never increase unless it's total. You do get free hearing aids for life. I got mine, but don't use them out of stubbornness. You can get 10% for tinnitus and there is no way of proving you don't have it. One or both ears it's only 10%. Your biggest problems resulting in disability is to claim arthritis and loss of range of motion in all your joints. Be sure to add jumping, that will add up. I'm at 80%. Not bragging. It f'ing hurts and I've been on 800 mg Motrin for 30 years
Old 30 October 2018, 08:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
It f'ing hurts and I've been on 800 mg Motrin for 30 years
Jesus. I bet you're kidney & liver functions are through the roof.

You're very correct though. I had 2 different things rated at 0% upon retirement get bumped up after additional problems.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 October 2018, 09:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
If you dont mind, what meds did they send ya in the mail?
Baclofen, 10mg. Works like a champ. As per the advice of a close friend, former SOF guy turned pharmacist, I am using it 3 nights on and 2 nights off. He said it is one of the best drugs out there for chronic back pain caused by muscle spasm, and it's not a narcotic/opioid.

I have an understanding with the VA Doc from day 1 that Sharky just don't do opioids.

-ZZ Top
Old 30 October 2018, 09:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Yes you get 0% for loss of hearing. That will never increase unless it's total. You do get free hearing aids for life.

My VSO says that if my audiogram now shows further degradation since my initial audiogram in 1992, that they will increase it from 0%. They use a chart to determine that percentage.

Here is a link to the chart.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html

-ZZ Top
Old 30 October 2018, 09:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Baclofen, 10mg. Works like a champ. As per the advice of a close friend, former SOF guy turned pharmacist, I am using it 3 nights on and 2 nights off. He said it is one of the best drugs out there for chronic back pain caused by muscle spasm, and it's not a narcotic/opioid.
I don't know what it is...but muscle relaxers fuck me up more than opioids. Everyone reacts differently to meds though.

I took a Soma once and was slurring, shitfaced wiped me out. Flexeril makes my legs so restless I can't take those either. Baclofen is one of the mildest forms. I avoid all of em.

So, I just eat tylenol like M&M's. Motrin raises my kidney functions through the roof.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 October 2018, 09:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
My VSO says that if my audiogram now shows further degradation since my initial audiogram in 1992, that they will increase it from 0%. They use a chart to determine that percentage.

Here is a link to the chart.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html
Have you looked at the Chart? Tough chart to figure out first time. It's tough as all hell to get an increase in Hearing Loss.

Our new posting rules