SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 16 May 2020, 21:41
I've got a gun too, mf'er

For phone interviews in particular, but it can be made to work for zoom, especially if have multiple monitors so you are still "looking into the camera" ...cheat! Write out anecdotes and notes for the typical questions so you have am answer to those "tell me about a time you promoted inclusiveness and diversity..." questions.
Then keep those notes, and add to them with new questions you got asked, so you are prepared for the next interview.
That said, make sure you have the ability to tell a story and not make it sound like you are reading from a teleprompter.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 16 May 2020, 21:44
Renuo Victima Esse

I genuinely enjoy(ed) this thread. I have been out of the "hiring" situation for 34 years and now that I am retired, I wouldn't know how the "hiring" process goes anymore. I have learned a lot from this thread and others like it. Very valuable information indeed!
Old 16 May 2020, 21:45
Rage against the machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
There is a youtube channel called "charisma on command" I would suggest delving into some of those titles. Social cues and strategies can move you far ahead of more technical or experienced competion assuming you are basically qualified for the job.
I just found that channel recently.

I need to polish my charms.
Old 17 May 2020, 10:00
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
Well, I was not selected, so I guess that means it didn't go well, but I do appreciate your kind thoughts anyway.

It was the first and only time that I have ever done an interview on Zoom. I must say that it was interesting, though, For all of the requirements listed, I met all of the minimum and all of the preferred, except one, if I recall correctly. They really didn't ask about any of that, though. They basically asked me a lot of questions about diversity and inclusiveness. For example, what have you done in your past job(s) to promote diversity? There were so many of those questions about diversity and inclusiveness, that for a moment I thought that I had applied for a diversity job by mistake!
Sounds like maybe you dodged a bullet! See my comments again above, the interview was to determine if you were the "right fit." Apparently, you either weren't or they had somebody else who answered the questions more to their liking. Don't beat yourself up, conduct an AAR, implement the changes for improvement, and hit the next objective.
Old 17 May 2020, 11:36
Administrator

Quote:
"For example, what have you done in your past job(s) to promote diversity?"
"Well, for starters, I only cared about getting the job done and didn't give a flying fuck what gender or color someone was."

You were not talking to the right person. You were talking to some front-line HR shithead that had a box to check. Tell that serf whatever you need to to tell her (betting it was a female since most HR folks are) to get to the person that is making the hiring decisions.

I can almost 100% assure you that this was not the person you needed to talk to and was a screener.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 17 May 2020, 12:55
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
"Well, for starters, I only cared about getting the job done and didn't give a flying fuck what gender or color someone was."

You were not talking to the right person. You were talking to some front-line HR shithead that had a box to check. Tell that serf whatever you need to to tell her (betting it was a female since most HR folks are) to get to the person that is making the hiring decisions.

I can almost 100% assure you that this was not the person you needed to talk to and was a screener.
IDK bro, thatís an interview question in my org. I donít agree with it but thatís the direction everything is going.
Old 17 May 2020, 13:23
Never to old to learn

Exclamation

Always try to read the persons face that is asking the questions!

One of the main then is to look at their EYES. It will tell you different things.

I took a test reading people's faces, the expression tell a lot. Out of 36 photo the question what was the person thinking, I got 29 out of 36 right.

During an interview you can tell how it is going. Just my looking at there face an eye movement.

Just my 3 cents worth
Old 21 May 2020, 09:14
Confirmed User

If anyone on here is interviewing with Amazon in the near future, I'm happy to help get you up to speed on the interviewing process. It's a bit unique...Shoot me a DM.
Old 25 May 2020, 09:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
if anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears! I'm prepping a cheat sheet for the "usual" questions as we speak.
The best piece of advice I ever received about meetings, interviews, or any type of engagement where I a) needed to convince or manipulate someone and b) felt some undue pressure due to my own interests, i.e. REALLY wanting a x,y,z, is:

1) be yourself but not too much, and 2) prep for the meeting - it likely will not go 100% according to the plan/preparation, but thinking through it or writing a plan (similar to your cheat sheet) in advance really helps me get in the mindset.

Good luck!
Old 26 May 2020, 19:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
They basically asked me a lot of questions about diversity and inclusiveness. For example, what have you done in your past job(s) to promote diversity? There were so many of those questions about diversity and inclusiveness, that for a moment I thought that I had applied for a diversity job by mistake!

Yeah, I get how people reading this are going to think "sour grapes" and they might be right. At 59 years old, I am probably considered to be way too old by many organizations. All I know is when, or if, I ever apply for any other government jobs, I am really going to study up on diversity and inclusiveness before the interviews!
Welcome to the interview world of today. I recently interviewed for a command position and I'd guess 25 percent of the questions were related to diversity and inclusion. Hour long interview so sounds about like your length also. Today's buzz topic.

Our new posting rules