Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Old 23 June 2015, 01:43
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck View Post
I suspect the cost to train a Marine CSO is at least twice that of a FR Marine. However, since I can't give you specific figures, I'd suggest you talk to some of your contacts in the MARSOC community. You might be surprised at what you find out.
Wreck,

I appreciate your service, but I suggest that you zip your lip about our contacts. I have them - you don't, brother. You don't know the dollar costs - I do.

It pained me to be a MCD instructor in my late 30s, running every mile with my students. It hurt more to break ice to dive in the Potomac at age 40, and to jump a 350lb barrel that same summer. Yes, it sucks to recruit, when all you can promise is a suck-meter. I'm not a Recon Marine, I'm a retired SARC HM, still working in my field. And it's way hard to get young medical kids to buy in. If you have some surprise, I would LOVE to hear it.

Last edited by sarc88; 23 June 2015 at 02:05.
Old 23 June 2015, 02:07
Doc McNasty

double

Last edited by sarc88; 23 June 2015 at 02:15.
Old 23 June 2015, 07:26
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck View Post
Part of the reason for the name change was to be able to explain what MARSOC was, without having to resort to descriptions that related to the other service's special operations personnel. Things like "We're like an Army ODA" or "We're the Marine version of SEALs".
This part makes some sense...along with EFM's observation about distance from the HQMC.

That said... your situational awareness was weak yesterday. Today is a new day.
Old 23 June 2015, 19:56
Been There Done That

The upfront costs of a CSO are going to be bigger who know how it stacks up longer term for either case, depends on a lot of variables. The brotherhood pretty much spelled it out though, different authority, different funding, those are the real gains.

As to the history yea that bothered me for awhile, then I realized the people who wrote that are the nobody's that came along and half assed what they were told to do or thought they knew. No, the real history is for the most part still a part of the Regiments in one form or another, mil, civ, and ctr's. Reading the official history is about the same as saying "Semper Fi" before morning PT, sounds officially moto but really means fuck you.

Our new posting rules