Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Old 18 October 2016, 22:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
In most cases it's the secondary weapon.
Spot on. A lot of folks approach a military sidearm the same way they approach a law enforcement sidearm, when the two are apples and oranges.

The vast majority of LE engagements will occur with officers armed only with their sidearm. From my POV (as a former cop), I wanted a reliable sidearm that chambered a quality JHP, with plenty more ammo in my person. During my cop years I carried a G21 and G22, and had confidence in those pistols.

Military, as SB writes, a sidearm is a secondary arm at best. The whole point of being a world power is being able to engage the enemy at ranges FAR beyond his organic weapons. My weapon of choice goes something like this:

1. TLAM
2. JDAM
3. M142 HIMARS
4. M245A1 Main Gun
5. M2 HMG

If my day is going poorly, maybe this:

1. M240B
2. Mk47 or Mk19

If my day has really gone to shit:

1. M249
2. SCAR H

Shitty plan, shitty day all around:

1. M4

Only after that do I start to worry about my handgun selection. What do I want? Light, reliable, compact size, chambered in decent caliber. G19 meets all those reqs...a 1911 does not.
Old 18 October 2016, 22:39
Confirmed User

Who ever said it was the primary weapon? So if I post a link to an article about the Mighty Kabar Fighting knife you will assume I mean to go prancing off in my midnight jammies holding just that? lol
Old 18 October 2016, 22:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckmanUSMC View Post
Who ever said it was the primary weapon? So if I post a link to an article about the Mighty Kabar Fighting knife you will assume I mean to go prancing off in my midnight jammies holding just that? lol
Well, since you ask...you are a Marine, so...yep. Army guys like me need guns, though.
Old 18 October 2016, 23:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Well, since you ask...you are a Marine, so...yep. Army guys like me need guns, though.
Ill take that as a compliment.
Old 24 October 2016, 14:04
Doc McNasty

IMO, the best use for a sidearm is for fighting your way back to a long gun. On my best day, I'm only marginally better than average with a handgun anyway. After that, the practice of muscle memory and drills are what get you out of hot water.

Let's also keep in mind the 1st Rule of Acquisition: Acceptable is Awardable. Fill as many of the requirements as you can, get it at best value to the govt, don't end up with a $800 toilet seat in lifetime sustainment costs. Very rarely is it about getting best of breed.

Last edited by sarc88; 24 October 2016 at 14:25.
Old 24 October 2016, 14:29
BTDT

When shit really hits the fan, my favorite pistol is an M4
My favorite pistol for home defense is a 12 gauge shotgun
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 26 October 2016, 15:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
When shit really hits the fan, my favorite pistol is an M4
My favorite pistol for home defense is a 12 gauge shotgun
http://www.benelliusa.com/m4-tactical-shotgun

This is my choice.
Old 26 October 2016, 21:13
0311/8651

Glock 31/43
SR-25
M-14
AR-15( pre SP-1)
Assorted semi autos in my safe
Ok they are on loan
Old 26 October 2016, 21:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Glock 31/43
SR-25
Stoner! Love it!
Old 27 October 2016, 22:29
Been There Done That

I recently purchased a slightly used Colt Rail Gun which as far as I can tell is the exact same as the M45A1. They made quite a few alterations after the failures on the 15,000 round test and as far as I can tell only the pre-production guns are prone to slide/frame cracking.

That being said I would want the G19 in my inventory for some work and the 1911 for other jobs.

I've always viewed the 1911 as a shooters gun and the HK, M&P, Glocks of the world as good to have, reliable tools.
Old 27 October 2016, 22:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
That being said I would want the G19 in my inventory for some work and the 1911 for other jobs.

I've always viewed the 1911 as a shooters gun and the HK, M&P, Glocks of the world as good to have, reliable tools.
I love 1911s, I have a Wilson Combat-customized Series 80 that I am particularly fond of, prizing it above all my other pistols (I own WAY TOO MANY pistols, so that is saying something). I've been in too many gun fights, and hope not to get in any more. I would rather have a stock G19 or G17 in a fight than the best-tuned, most reliable 1911 in the world.

I did an assignment a couple years ago, small joint-service team from all components in SOCOM. The MARSOC guys had their 1911s (AFSOC brought M9, NSW brought P226, etc). I plussed the team up with a G19 for each guy (from the JOS Warehouse). Funny enough, the MARSOC guys always wanted to roll with the G19 instead of the boat anchor...er...I mean M45.
Old 27 October 2016, 23:21
What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
If you shake a 1911 and it rattles and clacks, probably pretty reliable but not very accurate. If you shake it and hear nothing, probably a lot more accurate and a lot less reliable...LOL

Still love my 1911s. I carry a Glock.
Spot on......guy I worked with had a high dollar 1911 style pistol. Was an absolute tack driver (no rattles lol).....he was an excellent shooter......he never could outshoot my G35 w aftermarket trigger and old man (fiber) sights.....and the big issue? It had the nasty habit of not going bang every time you dropped the hammer.

He sold it and started carrying a G35 for daily use.
Old 10 November 2016, 14:05
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
If you shake a 1911 and it rattles and clacks, probably pretty reliable but not very accurate. If you shake it and hear nothing, probably a lot more accurate and a lot less reliable...LOL

Still love my 1911s. I carry a Glock.
+1
IIRC, the FBI tests show a .45 as a very high one shot stop caliber (meaning bad guy stops or is unable to continue). That said, my G23 has beautiful patina on the muzzle end from thousands of practiced presentations and re-holsters.

Our new posting rules