Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 11 April 2017, 11:36
Been There Done That

Icon5 Combat Medic Badge and SF Medics

Well, I just found that according to Wiki the CMB is not authorized for SF medics anymore, as of a decade ago. Instead, an SF medic is eligible for the CIB.

Have I been living under a rock? Does this make any sense at all?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 11 April 2017, 11:42
NKDA

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...-sec578-69.xml

See Section 5
Old 11 April 2017, 11:47
Making sure They Come Home

It is based on the "series"...18 being a "combat arms series designator" vs the traditional medical MOS's.

Additionally, 18D's were poorly reviewed by senior enlisted promotion boards looking at E-8 / 9 due to "CIB carrying more weight in a combat arms atmosphere". The switch to allowing the CIB helped give the medical bubbas a bit more solid footing when it came to promotion.
Old 11 April 2017, 11:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Well, I just found that according to Wiki the CMB is not authorized for SF medics anymore, as of a decade ago. Instead, an SF medic is eligible for the CIB.

Have I been living under a rock? Does this make any sense at all?

I remember when this took place. IIRC, the argument was that CMF 18 was a combat arms branch at large. As far as making sense, brother I gave up a long time ago with the Army making sense. In this case though, mi dos centavos is that it was a favorable decision. Many of the 18D's I crossed paths with wanted to be eligible for the CIB and or the EIB. I'm sure there were some that preferred eligibility for the combat medic. The greater majority could probably care less at the time, mostly wanted to deploy, shoot, blow things up and tell you to suck it up versus give you meds . To this day, the opinion of an 18D resonates with me more than a Doc. Call me crazy but the 18D's are some of my favorite people.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 11 April 2017, 12:30
Been There Done That

^^^ Of course they're the fav... they'll plug your holes out in the boonies... I've never seen too many doctors out there dodging flying lead and doing their thing.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 11 April 2017, 15:41
Been There Done That

SF Medics are not classified as medical personnel under the Geneva Convention, and serve primarily as combatants, so the decision to award CIBs is appropriate IMO.

I have a CIB, CMB, and EIB. If I take those awards to Starbucks, pay them $4.99 and show the barista the badges, they give me a free coffee...if I give them the $4.99.
Old 11 April 2017, 17:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I have a CIB, CMB, and EIB. If I take those awards to Starbucks, pay them $4.99 and show the barista the badges, they give me a free coffee...if I give them the $4.99.
Did you get the EIB as an 18D or as an 11-series pre-SF?

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 11 April 2017, 19:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Did you get the EIB as an 18D or as an 11-series pre-SF?
11-series. I was a newbie Bat Boy, got it a couple of months after I arrived. Never wore it much. Later, in Group, pre-9/11 days, I got tasked with being on the EIB committee a couple of times...they always tried to give me a station that I couldn't be too much of a Santa Claus. Didn't matter...I was still a Santa Claus...

Our new posting rules