Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 5 April 2017, 11:37
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
If you've made a claim for Gulf War Illness - you will never prevail...

There is no rating code for "Gulf War illness", no way to assign a rating for it since it does not have a rating code.

The various UNDERLYING conditions MAY be disabilities - but must each be claimed and rated.

If your jandils.com folks have made a claim for you for "Gulf War illness" then you seriously need to seek different representation.
I have a claim for Gulf War Syndrome which does have a rating. I have 14 people from my platoon who are already getting 100% percent for it.
Old 5 April 2017, 13:46
Been There Done That

What disabilities did they rate?
Old 5 April 2017, 20:19
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
What disabilities did they rate?
Im not sure about all of them but I know one has IBS and Headaches
Old 8 April 2017, 08:21
Been There Done That

I was fascinated, when I went through the process, that VA would compensate (at 10%) tinnitus - a condition that requires them to take the veteran's word that it exists - but only acknowledge without compensation hearing loss - a condition that is easily measurable.
Old 8 April 2017, 10:43
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=firstshirt;1058641852]I was fascinated, when I went through the process, that VA would compensate (at 10%) tinnitus - a condition that requires them to take the veteran's word that it exists - but only acknowledge without compensation hearing loss - a condition that is easily measurable.[/QUOTE
Curious how they measure it?
Old 8 April 2017, 12:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
Im not sure about all of them but I know one has IBS and Headaches
You are not sure? Look at your Rating Decision..... Do you have one?
Old 9 April 2017, 21:22
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
You are not sure? Look at your Rating Decision..... Do you have one?
oh I thought you were asking about the guys in my platoon. Im rated at 50% for PTSD and 10% for migrains and 10% for tinnitus. I have a appeal going for a increase for Migraines.
Old 12 April 2017, 11:08
Been There Done That

My VA in WV has a special set of hearing aids just for tinnitus. They have 3 adjustment settings. The one setting has a cancel out mode that sounds like air forced into your ear. The noise is worse than the tinnitus. I rarely wear them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 3 May 2017, 21:18

VA gave me 10% for tinnitus. They said the IBS was related to Environmental Hazard in Gulf War but didn't service connect me for it.
Old 4 May 2017, 08:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiansensation View Post
VA gave me 10% for tinnitus. They said the IBS was related to Environmental Hazard in Gulf War but didn't service connect me for it.
Did they Service Connect you at 0% or did they just not agree with your claim? If they say your IBS is related to the Enviro Hazards then they should of SC for at least 0%, more if you are having a problem with the IBS.
Old 4 May 2017, 08:29

they said not service connected but related to the environmental hazard which doesn't make sense to me.
Old 4 May 2017, 08:58
Been There Done That

Someone made a mistake. Appeal it right away.
Old 6 May 2017, 15:40
Confirmed User

I retired from the VA a couple of years ago and worked benefits. Some good advice get a service organization they are no cost. I recall that if your MOS exposed you to noise pretty much cut and dry. For most conditions it must be in your STR or one of the Gulf War conditions

http://www.veteranprograms.com/id1099.html

The VA has improved greatly in processing claims and getting you the health care you deserve .
Old 28 July 2017, 23:52

Do NOT get a lawyer they will not expedite your claim or help your claim in any way. All they do is submit the required forms and individuals like me who work for the VBA do the research and all the leg work cause thats my job. The lawyer sits in their office and does NOTHING and collects 20% of your award.

I keep seeing the wrong information about the Gen Med Gulf War exam. Let me give a little insight. The Gulf war Exam is for individuals who have an undiagnosed illness. An undiagnosed illness is a type of chronic qualifying disability where qualifying signs and/or symptoms cannot be attributed to any known clinical diagnosis by history, physical examination and laboratory tests. i.e stomach cramps, IBS, headaches, muscle pain, ect
theres also burnpit issues which would equal anything respiratory.

The reason why some claims take longer than others is because by law before we can truly rate a claim for disabilty is we have to have the veterans full medical record along with personel records. Sometimes this is any easy process to achieve this but other times the military looses the record and its like pulling teeth to make sure all documents are recieved. Or we are waiting for private medical treatment records from the doctors.

A PTSD claim can also slow the process down because we have to verify everything about that statement. If an individual claims their unit was fired upon during some mission we pull records/ request records to prove this statement.

We do take in consideration especially when it comes to combat vets that they are not always seen for their issues a buddy statement or someone in your unit that saw the event/injury goes a long ways.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a private messge or reply on here. I will answer whatever you need to know or get you to the right people to help you.

Our new posting rules