Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 3 August 2017, 12:43
Violent Social Worker

This thread is reminding me of the invasion when the born again sergeant (also a thief and complete moron) decided it would be a good idea to start talking about Jesus to a crowd of Iraqi men. A bunch of older guys who spoke English and had been very friendly turned pissed off in a hurry. This led to our platoon commander restricting who was allowed to talk to the locals.

Obviously Eubanks is nothing like that guy, but there is no quicker way to turn things to shit in the Middle East than to proselytize.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 3 August 2017, 23:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Yeah, we better make sure we don't anger the Muslims.....or give them reason to commit further war/atrocities.

Maybe we should just all covert to Islam to placate ISIS, then there would be peace.

Hey, lets make all our US military Chaplains cover up their crosses on their uniforms as well.....we sure do not want to cause any Muslims to have reason/justification to fight us.
I can see both sides to the argument regarding the problems his proselytizing might create. Muslims are unlikely to convert. Even ones who might want to probably won't due to the threat of being enslaved or killed. It doesn't seem necessary to try on that population.

I do however agree with LP's above quote. Either way, we don't need to placate or worry about offending Muslims. The fact is, they will be offended until they successfully convert everyone. Then they will still be offended by different sects within their religion who have different interpretations and beliefs. Obviously not all Muslims are bad but for example, when one reads the Pew polls regarding Sharia law, the number of those in support are staggering. Then one must take into account that a number of Muslims who don't support it might not have enough of a problem with it to take a stand against it.

You can't separate Eubank from his faith as that is a large part of who he is and why he does service for people. You can't separate Christianity from his charity as his charity is engaging in service to others based on Christian values. While it isn't productive for him to proselytize or get Muslims to pray, his background and experience make him an expert at maximizing safety and situational awareness.
Old 8 August 2017, 11:04
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
Either way, we don't need to placate or worry about offending Muslims. The fact is, they will be offended until they successfully convert everyone.
Islam, AKA "The Religion of Perpetual Outrage"......

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 20 September 2017, 22:17
Confirmed User

First off, I am a Muslim. Been one for over 4 years.
The issue is less about proselytizing but more about how he does it. He targets those who are already weak and have issues. I was on multiple fronts with this man.
The dude is a fucking badass. Like has brass balls the size of cannons. But at this time, his direct &confrontational proselytizing is of no use and is actually harmful.

If you don't see the issue your no different than any other group who preys on the weak.. (Daesh, Taliban, hiqqani, illagarna etc etc)
He needs to either save lives or Fuck off. His Christian B.S. is counterproductive and he'd understand that if he spoke Kurdish.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:26
Über Equus Asinus

Thats the core of the problem..

you see Eubanks Christianity as BS.. you do not share his faith, his beliefs, or agree with his methodology (which by the way is pretty standard among Christian missionaries.. what he is doing is not unusual or out of the ordinary)..

Eubanks sees his faith as part of his core being. He cannot separate himself from it. They are one in the same. You dont get one without the other.

Whether or not its harmful or helpful is a matter of perspective and point of view..

In your eyes it is harmful and distasteful.. in his (and in the eyes of people that share his faith) he is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing and what his faith requires of him..
Old 21 September 2017, 09:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
If you don't see the issue your no different than any other group who preys on the weak.. (Daesh, Taliban, hiqqani, illagarna etc etc)
He needs to either save lives or Fuck off. His Christian B.S. is counterproductive and he'd understand that if he spoke Kurdish.
I've never been accused of being the same as the Taliban or any other terrorist trash before, but I guess in your eyes I am. Oh well, so sad!

Simply because he doesn't believe the way you do, doesn't mean he is wrong...neither are you anyone to admonish him for doing what he feels led to do anymore that he is to call you wrong for doing what you are doing.

I like your thread concerning what is going on there, but this one seems like you simply want a thread to bash someone over. Hopefully, you have better things to do over there with your time.
Old 21 September 2017, 10:51
Been There Done That

RedBull has a valid point. Whether I agree or disagree with him, we should be able to discuss this here without making it personal.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:49
Been There Done That

Religion is and always will be a touchy subject on this board and society in general.

What Eubanks and people like him do in that particular region of the world may seem like a great idea to some here and to others it's a trainwreck.
I've seen it/him first hand and am inclined to side with RedBull on this matter.

It's not about faith, it's about the incessant attempt to convert and preach to people who just went through forceful conversion or death. Give it a break.

As they say "there's a time and place".

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 21 September 2017, 11:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
It's not about faith, it's about the incessant attempt to convert and preach to people who just went through forceful conversion or death. Give it a break.
Now that perspective, I completely understand and can certainly agree with. There are many "missionaries" who come on way too strong and often times do more damage than good. If that's the case here, then I agree he should be helping without the heavy-handed proselytizing which could be done later - if necessary.

My biggest issue with this entire thread was that I believe in the mission of missionaries. But, I don't necessarily believe in some of their heavy-handed'ness. Because I believe in their mission, I took it to heart that I was being compared to the Taliban or their like. If your explanation is in line with RB's, then I can understand his point.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Agoge; 21 September 2017 at 12:02.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:05
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

As they say "there's a time and place".
While I am Christian, I actually very much agree with this statement..

In my mind the best way to "convert" people isnt to preach to them at all initially (that should come later)..

The way to start the process is simply to lead by "Christian" example.. show people kindness whenever you can... take care of others.. help them meet their human needs.. and live your life in a way that others want whatever it is that makes you who and what you are..

If you open their hearts first, their minds will follow..

Trying to get into the mind, before you have their heart just gets you people going through the motions to get their hands on whatever it is they want from you.. and not a whole lot more..

Last edited by mdwest; 21 September 2017 at 12:11.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
While I am Christian, I actually very much agree with this statement..

In my mind the best way to "convert" people isnt to preach to them at all initially (that should come later)..

The way to start the process is simply to lead by "Christian" example.. show people kindness whenever you can... take care of others.. help them meet their human needs.. and live your life in a way that others want whatever it is that makes you who and what you are..

If you open their hearts first, their minds will follow..

Trying to get into the mind, before you have their heart just gets you people going through the motions to get their hands on whatever it is they want from you.. and not a whole lot more..
Everything you said is true! Hungry people simply need to be fed and cold people simply need to be clothed. Actions speak louder than words -- especially "unattached" actions where you provide a need without the expectation of anything else.
Old 21 September 2017, 16:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Thats the core of the problem..

you see Eubanks Christianity as BS.. you do not share his faith, his beliefs, or agree with his methodology (which by the way is pretty standard among Christian missionaries.. what he is doing is not unusual or out of the ordinary)..

Eubanks sees his faith as part of his core being. He cannot separate himself from it. They are one in the same. You dont get one without the other.

Whether or not its harmful or helpful is a matter of perspective and point of view..

In your eyes it is harmful and distasteful.. in his (and in the eyes of people that share his faith) he is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing and what his faith requires of him..
Yep...

Let's just change a word here and there in your post - and look at it from the islamists' POV:

you see Al Baghadi's Islam as BS.. you do not share his faith, his beliefs, or agree with his methodology (which by the way is pretty standard among ISIS "missionaries".. what he is doing is not unusual or out of the ordinary)..

The jihadi sees his faith as part of his core being. He cannot separate himself from it. They are one in the same. You dont get one without the other.

In your eyes it is harmful and distasteful.. in his (and in the eyes of people that share his faith) he is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing and what his faith requires of him...

Charity and relief work speak for themselves - actively attempting to convert folks also speaks for itself...
Old 22 September 2017, 18:27
Confirmed User

I'm not a Christian but a huge difference I see when you replace Eubank with the the word Jihadi is that the muslim is far more likely to behead, molest, rape, enslave, and terrorize than a Christian.

Whether or not similar mechanisms influence Muslims or Christians to proselytize, Eubanks supposedly untactful conversion methods are nowhere near as much of a threat as a jihadi.
Old 22 September 2017, 18:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
I'm not a Christian but a huge difference I see when you replace Eubank with the the word Jihadi is that the muslim is far more likely to behead, molest, rape, enslave, and terrorize than a Christian.

Whether or not similar mechanisms influence Muslims or Christians to proselytize, Eubanks supposedly untactful conversion methods are nowhere near as much of a threat as a jihadi.
This isn't a discussion contrasting the merits of Christian vs Muslim proselytism, and it is illogical and, quite frankly, ridiculous, to compare the two (i.e. Eubank vs every bad thing the worst of the jihadis ever did), and then declare Eubank superior and stamp his actions as awesome because he is not a bad as the other guys. This is a thread about Dave Eubank and FBR.

SOTB would be shitting himself with glee typing a response...
Old 22 September 2017, 19:01
Confirmed User

Understood. I'll read more and post less. Didn't intend to derail.

Our new posting rules