Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 4 August 2017, 11:20
Confirmed User

For those that have used Ch 33 GI Bill

I am returning to classed to finish my degree and am using the Post 9/11 GI Bill for the first time. I converted from CH 30 which I was using last time I attended.

What I am curious about is how long did it take to process your benefits and start payments? I am already registered, enrolled, and submitted VA paperwork with the school.

Since classes don't start until 8/21, I doubt anything happens before then.

I am taking 3 classes for 3/4 time. I looked up the benefit rates on the VA website and it looks like BAH pays $1400 in my area and the book stipend is $375 per semester.

How long did it take to have the VA start paying after verifying enrollment?
Old 5 August 2017, 16:12
Confirmed User

When I switched to Post 9/11 my classes started sometime in August and I think I got first payment around Thanksgiving. I had the same thing happen on the Ch 30 too though. I think a lot depends on who deals with the VA stuff for your school.
Old 5 August 2017, 19:30
Been There Done That

You will only get BAH if you're going to a brick and mortar school. Not sure if this pertains to you or not, but it's a shitty wake up call if you're going to school online.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 5 August 2017, 20:28
Confirmed User

If you are starting school on the 21st, you should get paid for those first 10 days on September 1st. Then you will get paid for Sept 1 to Sept 30 on October 1st. I go to a technical school right now and there was no issue for me regarding getting paid on schedule. I have heard of others in the past having to wait a little longer for their payment so ymmv.

Regarding what MixedLoad is saying, you need to spend a certain number of hours at a brick and mortar school to get the full BAH and you have to be considered a full time student. If someone is just going to school online, my understanding is that they will get around $800 a month of BAH. I have to spend a minimum of 10 hours a week on campus and then a minimum of 10 hours a week doing work at home to get full BAH.
Old 6 August 2017, 00:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
Regarding what MixedLoad is saying, you need to spend a certain number of hours at a brick and mortar school to get the full BAH and you have to be considered a full time student. If someone is just going to school online, my understanding is that they will get around $800 a month of BAH. I have to spend a minimum of 10 hours a week on campus and then a minimum of 10 hours a week doing work at home to get full BAH.
You're correct. To put this into perspective, I'm going to provide an example based on 100% rating for the post 9/11 GI Bill (note - many Veterans in college only receive 50, 60, 70% based on the amount of time they were in after 9/11).

Student A goes to school online, taking a full course load, and will receive a measly $800/month in BAH.

Student B goes to school online with a part time course load and will receive around $400/month in BAH.

Student C goes to school at a brick and mortar institution, part time, and will receive around $1000/month in BAH.

Student D goes to school at a brick and mortar institution, with a full load, and will receive around $2000/month in BAH.

Both Student A and Student D are accomplishing the same course load. Someone, please tell me why one rates 2.5 times the BAH over the other one?

The example I provided is for Northern CA. If it were the SFBA, the disparity could be up to 5x what it is for an online student.

Old 6 August 2017, 05:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
You will only get BAH if you're going to a brick and mortar school. Not sure if this pertains to you or not, but it's a shitty wake up call if you're going to school online.
Not correct. I used it for an online program (APU / AMU). You get 50% of the full rate. It was just under $700 per month.
Old 6 August 2017, 06:30
Authorized Personnel

I used the post-9/11 GI Bill for my master's and now I'm using it to get an AAS in police science. At Norwich, the school did all the paperwork after I submitted my form 22, and I started getting my paper check about 2 months later. Soon after, the VA pushed me to go to DD (Direct Deposit, not Dunkin Donuts or Dungeons & Dragons...). Since they already had my DD information when I enrolled in my AAS program at my local comunity college, my housing payments started almost immediately. At Norwich, I was getting about $750 a month and now I'm getting (at the CC) ~$1,700 monthly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Not correct. I used it for an online program (APU / AMU). You get 50% of the full rate. It was just under $700 per month.
My understanding is that the housing allowance is based upon the AD sergeant's BAH rate for the main zip code of either the school you are attending OR the zip code of the local office of that school (for schools with multiple campuses like UoP and such). For students taking full course loads, 12 credit hours or the equivalent (I think it's 9 credit hours in the summer semester), online students get 50% of that rate and B&M students (at least one "butt in the seat" class) get 100%.

And the book and fees stipend is ~$1,000 annually, and disbursed based on how many semesters your school runs each year, so you get the full annual book stipend if you attend class every semester.
Old 6 August 2017, 10:26
Confirmed User

I am attending a brick and motar school but some classes are offered online. I am taking 3 classes for 9 hours. 3 hours will be classroom and 6 online.
The BAH rate for the schools zip (which is the same for where I live) is $1400/mo.
Old 6 August 2017, 13:33
Been There Done That

I think the time frame depends on when you get signed up. You get BAH for the previous month, not the following month, so you may be SOL on the BAH until the end of sept, but you'll get back pay if that's the case. I would think if you already have everything in that you'll be good to go by the end of this month though. I signed up pretty late last time I used it and I think the time that it took for them to reimburse me for tuition was only a couple weeks.
Old 6 August 2017, 21:22
Been There Done That

I'm rated at 60% post 9/11. That still doesn't change the math based on what I would receive at a B&M campus vs Online.

Old 7 August 2017, 00:17
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I am attending a brick and motar school but some classes are offered online. I am taking 3 classes for 9 hours. 3 hours will be classroom and 6 online.
The BAH rate for the schools zip (which is the same for where I live) is $1400/mo.
There is some formula, but I think if you're not under 50% of your classes online, you get full BAH. If your school has a veterans coordinator, or any other office to help, pop your head in there, make some introductions, and see what they can do to help you understand. Mine was a godsend, and my school was all about helping vets.

My payments were never delayed, which was a pleasant surprise in my three years on Ch. 33. If you can swing it, you should consider bumping yourself up to full time. Get some extra cash, and finish the degree faster.
Old 7 August 2017, 08:19
Confirmed User

Sounds good, All. Thanks for the feedback. I don't need the BAH and will be saving it to continue school after my benefits are used.

I used most of my GI Bill under CH. 30 and have 14 months left to use under CH 33. I'll be able to finish my associates and possibly start on my bachelor.

I was wondering if there were any payment issues that were common like delays under Ch 30.

I can't really swing full time as I have a full time job and 2 preteen kids in sports.

Quote:
There is some formula, but I think if you're not under 50% of your classes online, you get full BAH.
You do have to attend over 50% (6 hours if 12 hours is full time) and the BAH is calculated as:

Quote:
Once the training time is determined, the monthly housing allowance is paid at the nearest 10% level. For instance if your training time is determined to be 58% as calculated above you will be paid 60% of the applicable housing allowance. If your training time is calculated to be 84% you will be paid 80% of the applicable housing allowance.
Old 7 August 2017, 08:29
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Sounds good, All. Thanks for the feedback. I don't need the BAH and will be saving it to continue school after my benefits are used.

I used most of my GI Bill under CH. 30 and have 14 months left to use under CH 33. I'll be able to finish my associates and possibly start on my bachelor.

I was wondering if there were any payment issues that were common like delays under Ch 30.

I can't really swing full time as I have a full time job and 2 preteen kids in sports.

You do have to attend over 50% (6 hours if 12 hours is full time) and the BAH is calculated as:
A lot of payment issues arise form the individual schools themselves and not the VA believe it or not. As long as your school is good about certifying your enrollments for classes...you should be G2G. AMU was spot on for this for me and my online courses and in 3 years, never a hiccup. I was taking 2 new classes every 8 weeks for 3 years. As someone previously mentioned, BAH is paid on the month previous so there is always an initial delay. If you have an eBenefits account thru the VA, you can check payment dates as well as book stipend payouts. They usually pop into the system a day or 2 before payout which is usually the first/last business day of every month, same as disability payments.
Old 7 August 2017, 09:38
Confirmed User

Too late to edit above:

Quote:
And the book and fees stipend is ~$1,000 annually, and disbursed based on how many semesters your school runs each year, so you get the full annual book stipend if you attend class every semester.
This information is more important to me than the BAH. When is the stipend paid? I'm starting classes in the fall so will I get a prorated amount for the fall and another payment in the spring for the next year?
Old 7 August 2017, 11:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
This information is more important to me than the BAH. When is the stipend paid? I'm starting classes in the fall so will I get a prorated amount for the fall and another payment in the spring for the next year?
The stipend is paid at the beginning of the semester, but depending on when you get all of your paperwork turned in, you may not receive it in time to buy your books.

You probably know this, but don't get books at your school. If at all possible, rent your books from an online vendor; you'll save a ton of money that way.
Old 7 August 2017, 12:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
The stipend is paid at the beginning of the semester, but depending on when you get all of your paperwork turned in, you may not receive it in time to buy your books.
That's what I was wondering. It looked like the stipend was prorated by semester but wasn't sure.

Quote:
You probably know this, but don't get books at your school. If at all possible, rent your books from an online vendor; you'll save a ton of money that way.
Oh, hell no...Last time I went to school, I bought used from Amazon if I could find it cheap enough or rent from an online vendor. Even Amazon does rentals now.

If course, the hard part is finding out that though a certain book is listed, you go to class the first day and the professor tells you that they don't use the book the bookstore has listed so buy this other one instead....
Old 8 August 2017, 14:33
Been There Done That

This is a great tool for anyone attending or considering attending higher education:

https://www.vets.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool/

It'll break down all of the benefits and cost.

Old 23 August 2017, 07:59
Confirmed User

Well, classes started Monday and the semester's installment of the book stipend and the Aug BAH hit this morning.

Our new posting rules