Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 13 September 2017, 22:12

Ruck Recommendation

Hi all,

I'm currently training for CRO selection. Can anyone point me towards the ruck used in indoc? Maybe an amazon or ebay link?

Much appreciated.
Old 13 September 2017, 22:46
Supporterator

Wow.You are so far, ill-prepared to take on the challenges ahead. If my pararescue brothers will excuse the step out of my lane.

Why does your profile say STO selection, but your post here in the Pararescue section states CRO?

Last edited by IronCross; 13 September 2017 at 22:47. Reason: bad grammar
Old 14 September 2017, 12:06

Because I'd been undecided between the two. From what I understand, both use the same ruck, at least in indoc, so I'm looking to snag one and make sure my knees and back are broken in well in advance.

You seem like a friendly dude and we're both in Dallas. Why don't we meet up for some PT? Maybe you could give me some tips on how to be less ill-prepared.
Old 14 September 2017, 14:23
Another pool cleaner

Let'd not add any more to this thread until BTDT's or OP weighs in.
Old 15 September 2017, 06:51
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

The type that CRO/STO/PJ/CCT use has been the tried and true ALICE ruck. Your main concern should be weight-carrying, not the aesthetics. Go to a local military surplus store and see if they have any. They're typically cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Larg.../dp/B005BTVG94
Old 15 September 2017, 11:26
Supporterator

PM sent.
Old 15 September 2017, 12:35

Understood. I appreciate the feedback here and VIA PM. Will order tonight and start adding weight gradually.
Old 16 September 2017, 11:39
Been There Done That

At this point the ruck used is the least of the concern. The Air Force's commissioned officer career fields Special Tactics Officer and Combat Rescue Officer are not entered with a pre entry into military service agreement as is the practice for civilian with no prior military service enlisting for the enlisted Pararescue and Combat Control AFSCs.

A military commission obtained through one of the military Academies (Most commonly the Air Force Academy), ROTC, or OTS is a mandatory prerequisite requirement.

Although the application package for both of these officer career fields disclose "The Air Force is accepting civilian applications for Combat Rescue Officer on a case-by-case basis." This disclosure is immediately followed with the direction "Interested civilians should contact Headquarters Air Force Recruiting Service Line Officer Accessions".

I have asked several CROs assigned to HQ ACC about year ago and none were able to explain what the case by case criteria is or if any civilian had an application package submitted. Not trying to discourage you, but contacting Headquarters Air Force Recruiting Service Line Officer Accessions to see if the Air Force has any interest in processing you into these career fields has a higher priority than the ruck used in training.

BTW only the enlisted Pararescue AFSC and officer Combat Rescue Officer AFSC have a Indoc course.

Our new posting rules