Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 9 October 2013, 13:47
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
The only thing that could possibly be called a "mini-Ranger" course at Fort Campbell is Air Assault School, which bills itself "The toughest 10 days in the Army," and has an equally inflated view of its degree of difficulty. My sweatpea graduated AAS at 5'0" and 100 lbs.
It's funny though that he claims a "mini" school of 42 days (6wks) for a 58 day course (and if I am wrong on the length of Ranger School, my apologies). Why would the .mil even waste time and $ on such a thing when 16 more days would get the real thing? RLTW and too bad this asshole is trying to claim to be one of you all. But great that he has been busted. His comments above are clearly from a fucktard who has been busted and is trying to soften his fall. Good thing he went to Jump School and can do a PLF!!!!
Old 9 October 2013, 13:48
Been There Done That

Did Ft. Campbell ever run a Pre-Ranger course? We did at 10th Mtn Div. Maybe this is what the tool in question is referring to as "Mini-Ranger"? Not defending him, but might be what he's claiming. Our course at Drum was run by all former Regiment cadre, 3 weeks long, and made as hard as we could all remember. I know the 25th ID did the same, and in the mid 90's I ran a couple at Ft. Carson.
Old 9 October 2013, 14:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
Did Ft. Campbell ever run a Pre-Ranger course? We did at 10th Mtn Div. Maybe this is what the tool in question is referring to as "Mini-Ranger"? Not defending him, but might be what he's claiming. Our course at Drum was run by all former Regiment cadre, 3 weeks long, and made as hard as we could all remember. I know the 25th ID did the same, and in the mid 90's I ran a couple at Ft. Carson.
I know in the 1990s the 82d had one, too and sent a lot of people back to the barracks because they weren't ready to go down to Benning.
Old 9 October 2013, 17:30
Been There Done That

Was not the old Recondo Course at Bragg referred to by some as sort of a "Mini-Ranger School"?

I still remember one of our Drill Sgts (SFC Charles Rosser), in Basic (at Ft Bliss), telling us that he had been to Ranger School, but he did not get a Tab cause they went thru the school together, his plattoon, from the the 82nd. I told everyone afterwards the DS was FOS. But, of course, my word was not believed by the other trainees over his.
Old 9 October 2013, 18:40
Preparing to defend

Charles Rosser?!?!?! There was a Charles Rosser in my Platoon in the 82nd. About five sevenish, kinky blonde/red hair, would have made E7 in the early 80's. He did go to the 82nd Recondo. Tough school back in the day. Was turned into PNCOC in Oct 76 (FY77).
Old 9 October 2013, 19:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Charles Rosser?!?!?! There was a Charles Rosser in my Platoon in the 82nd. About five sevenish, kinky blonde/red hair, would have made E7 in the early 80's. He did go to the 82nd Recondo. Tough school back in the day. Was turned into PNCOC in Oct 76 (FY77).
Yep, thats him, sounds like one and the same. ( to get his name correct, I looked it up in my Basic Training Year Book). I was in Basic at Ft Bliss in May/June 1986.
Old 9 October 2013, 20:16
Preparing to defend

1986!!! Damn, I'm feeling old.
Old 9 October 2013, 22:10
BT,WBTWC

First: Spelling error. The above entry reading "my sweatpea" should be corrected to read "my sweet pea." She just finished the St. Louis Tough Mudder last month. She doesn't sweat, she glows.

Second: Air Assault School is not and never could be accurately referred to as a mini-ranger course, as in "smaller form of combat leadership training and testing."

There have been Long Range Recon Patrol LRRP = pronounced "Lurp" courses;
Long Range Surveillance Detachment training = LRSD pronounced Lurs-D, or as one member here has noticed: "LRSD rhymes with thirsty";
Recondo School = A mashup of "Recon" and "Commando";
and even Sapper School at Ft. Leonard Wood (Combat Engineer) that
have been graced with the title "it's a mini-Ranger School."

But NONE of them are even close -- in degree of difficulty, standards, and testing -- to The Ranger School that leads to the award of the coveted black and gold Ranger Tab.

Michael A. Urbano simply sewed on a tab (actually, two of them) that he did not earn. And he also falsely claimed other skills, badges, qualifications, and achievements that he did not earn, all for the purpose of puffing his alleged skills for seeking employment as a criminal defense attorney in Arizona.
Old 10 October 2013, 08:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
First: Spelling error. The above entry reading "my sweatpea" should be corrected to read "my sweet pea." She just finished the St. Louis Tough Mudder last month. She doesn't sweat, she glows.

Second: Air Assault School is not and never could be accurately referred to as a mini-ranger course, as in "smaller form of combat leadership training and testing."

There have been Long Range Recon Patrol LRRP = pronounced "Lurp" courses;
Long Range Surveillance Detachment training = LRSD pronounced Lurs-D, or as one member here has noticed: "LRSD rhymes with thirsty";
Recondo School = A mashup of "Recon" and "Commando";
and even Sapper School at Ft. Leonard Wood (Combat Engineer) that
have been graced with the title "it's a mini-Ranger School."

But NONE of them are even close -- in degree of difficulty, standards, and testing -- to The Ranger School that leads to the award of the coveted black and gold Ranger Tab.

Michael A. Urbano simply sewed on a tab (actually, two of them) that he did not earn. And he also falsely claimed other skills, badges, qualifications, and achievements that he did not earn, all for the purpose of puffing his alleged skills for seeking employment as a criminal defense attorney in Arizona.
Yep. Well said..

I am guilt of this as well. Just had a friend who completed RSLC down at Benning. (Sounded like a great one month, pretty demanding intensive course to complete). When he described the course to me, I replied "sounds kind of like a mini-Ranger school". Of course, we both know it was not "Ranger School".

Side note, found it interesting that he mentioned there were several Bat Boys taking the course, which kind of surprised me as I assumed mainly soldiers from Infantry or LRSD unit were the only ones in attendance.
Old 11 October 2013, 15:59
Confirmed User

In the early 90s, the 101 had a Pre-Ranger program to try and make sure we were not wasting slots on guys not ready to go. I don't think anybody would call it a "mini-Ranger" school.
Old 11 October 2013, 17:21
BT,WBTWC

Implausible stories and Michael A. Urbano?

The following quote is extracted from a third disciplinary proceeding in the state of Arizona. The “Respondent” is lawyer Michael A. Urbano, the subject of this thread's inquiry. In short, Mr. Urbano blundered in the representation of a client, and when called to testify under oath what happened, Mr. Urbano testified that he had a long and professional relationship with the prosecutor. Mr. Urbano said that he did not blunder, but even if he did, the long relationship and mutual respect with this prosecutor caused him to believe that favorable action would be taken for his client anyway.
Quote:
Here, Respondent has not only consistently refused to admit his error but created an implausible story to mask his lack of investigation and basic duty of loyalty to his client and failed in his duty to act zealously for his client.

Respondent's testimony was more than not credible. Despite his counsel's excellent representation of him, the documents he filed with the State Bar prior to his obtaining her services undermine his testimony. Those letters demonstrate a troublesome writhing undercurrent within him that prior disciplinary matters have been unsuccessful in aiding him to overcome. The Panel found his testimony to be untruthful. It does not believe that his prior relationship and high regard for the prosecutor was the reason for his faulty analysis. There was no prior lengthy relationship. This was made up on the witness stand by the Respondent. There were no lengthy prior experiences with the prosecutor to base a high regard and trust upon. This was made up, whole cloth, on the witness stand and such rationalization is more than troubling. This internal failure to address his own shortcomings has apparently short circuited his reasoning and led him to distort the facts in an effort to cover his own deficient conduct. While his counsel did her best to broad stroke these extraordinary and disturbing inconsistencies with her usual paintbrush of eloquence, it remains a portrait not suitable for framing.

Since his admission in 2004, his prior disciplinary history gave this Panel reason to consider a longer suspension. His first suspension came as a result of his repeated unauthorized conduct with his client's estranged wife without the consent of the lawyer representing the estranged wife or the consent of Respondent's client. His second discipline arose when he lost self-control and cursed at a mediator in Justice Court. Respondent was near the end of his first probation when he committed the misconduct stipulated to in Count One. He was to begin his second probation term when he committed the misconduct in Count Two…
Hmmm, implausible stories made up of whole cloth in order to cover misconduct ... is there a pattern here?
Old 14 October 2013, 09:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTTER View Post
In the early 90s, the 101 had a Pre-Ranger program to try and make sure we were not wasting slots on guys not ready to go. I don't think anybody would call it a "mini-Ranger" school.
I left 101st in 2001. Up until that point,they still had a "Pre-Ranger" course. I attened it in 1999 as PFC and I can say that while obviously not as hard as Ranger, it was a serious gut check.
Old 22 October 2013, 12:08
BT,WBTWC

Can anyone PM me with an email address for Major (Ret) Lash Larue?

Anyone?
Old 29 October 2013, 18:14
Confirmed User

***POSER EXPOSED***

Michael A. Urbano
Criminal Defense Attorney
www.urbanolaw.com
4809 E. Thistle Landing Dr. Suite #100 Phoenix, Arizona 85044 480-759-0035 |

Here are his claims:

Quote:
Summary of Experience: Ten years Legal Experience; thirteen years combined Commercial/Military Pilot experience; ten years U.S. Army Special Operations; three years teaching Aviation Law at Graduate level, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical
University, eight years Aerospace Engineering and Manufacturing; two years Police
Officer, L.V.M.P.D. Legal Highlights: Admitted to Practice Law, Supreme Court of Arizona, United States District Court, District of Arizona, and 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Member Arizona State Bar
Military claims from his website, before he sterilized the site:

Quote:
Airborne Ranger and Pathfinder
Michael served in the US Army as a paratrooper, Airborne Ranger and Pathfinder with several Special Operation Units. His love of flying took him to flight school, where he was later assigned to the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. He's been awarded with numerous Army medals, commendations, and awards, including The Purple Heart. He has participated in multiple campaigns, including operations in the Sinai Desert, Operation Urgent Fury, Operation Just Cause, Operation Desert Shield, Operation Desert Storm and Operation Restore Hope.

He credits his military training and experience for his unending loyalty and perseverance in the courtroom. With creeds like "Night Stalkers Don't Quit," "Rangers Lead The Way," and "Never leave a fallen comrade behind" tattooed in his mind, he's a tenacious and aggressive opponent that prosecutors prefer not to face. "I treat each and every client as if they were my own family member I'm defending, and I honorably protect and defend their rights and liberties."
***VERIFIED FACTS***

Quote:
Urbano was an E-4 in the Army reserves and 3 years on Active Duty in the 101st.
He never deployed, anywhere.
He did not earn a Purple Heart.
He did not earn Combat Jump Wings.
He did not earn A Combat Infantryman's Badge.
He is not a rotary wing pilot.
He did not perform as a test pilot in the Apache program
He claimed that this uniform was a mixture of his awards, and his dead Brothers awards.
He has no Military dead brother.
He does not have two 2 degrees from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) in Daytona, Florida.
He completed one (1) Masters degree in ERAU's online program, it was in Safety Management.
He did not instruct for 3 years at the Graduate level, and he is not currently a Professor.
He taught one (1) class in 2007 and his credentials revoked for inactivity in 2010.
He has no records available from Arizona State University from whom he states he has 2 Masters Degrees.
He has 2 strikes with the Arizona State Bar for Unethical Conduct.
He has offered to provide free legal services on two (2) occasions since contact was made to expose him.
There is video available of him being surprised by an SF Soldier and A SOAR Soldier. He took off while giving a false name.

The AZ State Bar has a case open as it met the burden of proof on initial contact.
A file similar to this, explaining the Military end of his Stolen Valor, will be submitted to the Agent of the Bar tomorrow.

I ask that this post be circulated freely to all Stolen Valor sites. This man is making money off of the backs of true heroes, especially the ones who did not get the chance to come home.
SOURCE: Major Don "Lash" LaRue
Old 29 October 2013, 18:49
Preparing to defend

Thanks, Claymore the Great, I passed on to 160fb page.
Old 29 October 2013, 20:13
Confirmed User

From the FAA:
Quote:
MICHAEL ANTHONY URBANO

3310 E ASHURST DR
PHOENIX AZ 85048-0900
County: MARICOPA

Medical
Medical Class: Third, Medical Date: 8/2011

MUST HAVE AVAILABLE GLASSES FOR NEAR VISION.

Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 12/8/2010
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

Given the pattern of having a need to claim inflation, if he'd actually graduated a military flight school in any service, he'd have certainly had the flight hours logged no later than by some point early in his first tour to qualify for issuance of a Commercial Pilot Certificate (vs. the Private) under "military competence". No rotorcraft-helicopter rating says he wasn't an Army Aviator, and no instrument rating says he didn't get his flight training in the military.

The date-of-issue isn't a red flag in itself, as that gets updated every time an airman reports a change of address or acquires any new ratings or limitations. But if this is not the case and that is actually his original certificate issuance date.... My guess would be that it's the date he passed his multi-engine check (VFR-only, of course!).

Quote:
two Master's degrees... Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University... in Aeronautical Science, which means he really is a rocket scientist!
Actually... no. That's been settled already by at least one previous poster. Still, ERAU's so-called Master of Aeronautical Science program is more like a high-priced MBA with a focus on the running of businesses in the aerospace sector than a scientific or engineering program. Whatever it is or isn't, it isn't "hard science" and it isn't an ABET accredited engineering program. Even if he did hold this degree, their offerings having anything to do with rocket propulsion and spacecraft systems are actually more akin to "survey" courses for non-majors and nowhere close to the level of similarly-titled courses at, for example, Purdue or MIT. Rather, anyone who stayed awake through high-school algebra and can write a halfway readable report can understand the material and pass the course. "Real-deal" courses, OTOH, demand a certain level of prior course work and have no shortage of symbols the layman never sees. I cannot envision any self-respecting rocketry dude at that level calling himself a "rocket scientist" (propulsion engineer, yes). This guy probably couldn't even pass a safety exam in a model rocketry club.

If he actually did have even 5% of the training and experience he claims in these fields, what in the Hell would possess him to piss it all away and go to law school? Did he blow his instrument checkride, or what?

Last edited by WS-G; 29 October 2013 at 20:37.
Old 30 October 2013, 16:50
Confirmed User

Major (R) Don "Lash" LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Thanks, Claymore the Great, I passed on to 160fb page.
Don't thank me jdogonroad.. I'm just the messenger.. I just played a small part in this massive effort.. The man to thank is..

Quote:
MAJ(R) Don "Lash" LaRue
Special Operations Medical Association
Special Forces Brothers, 12th Special Forces Group
101st Airborne Division (AASLT), Iraq
CVMA #435, Region #8 Representative
His contact info. upon request.. ... ..Clay
Old 22 January 2014, 19:24
BT,WBTWC

It's been about three months since the last posting.
Any updates?
Azatty?
Old 22 January 2014, 19:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
Yes, they did; I was guest speaker for graduation a couple of times. So was CSM Purdy, once, just once, because he had every wife/girlfriend in the audience in tears at the end of his speech.

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 22 January 2014 at 20:06.
Old 23 January 2014, 10:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Yes, they did; I was guest speaker for graduation a couple of times. So was CSM Purdy, once, just once, because he had every wife/girlfriend in the audience in tears at the end of his speech.

Yeah, the way I heard that speech went down was Purd telling the graduates that if this course was actually their "toughest ten days in the Army" as the school motto would suggest, that they needed to get the fuck out of his Army and anyone who failed AAS should be chaptered out immediately by their Chain of Command. He was never invited back to be a guest speaker again.

This was just before he ripped a TV off the wall in the Rakkasan chow hall and threw it across the room because it was playing Beavis and Butthead. He then proceeded to let the entire chow hall know that shit like Beavis and Butthead were symptomatic of what is wrong with this country.....LMAO My understanding is that the chow hall was pretty much empty by the time he finished his short speech.

I miss that guy. He is a national treasure.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate