Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 30 December 2016, 21:43
Confirmed User

Thumbs up What to do when you disagree with your VA rating

What to do when you disagree with your VA rating; Military heroes tell service academy students to serve with pride, humility

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/17cf045
Old 3 January 2017, 13:12
Authorized Personnel

You should be able to file an appeal. Best to have help.

Get with one of the local veterans service orgs. There should be one at your main VA facility. In fact each VSO (VFW, AL, VVA, & others) should have reps there. Talk to EACH of them, the hardest to get to see is probably the best. Invest the time to do this.

You also need to have a complete copy of your military medical records.
Old 30 January 2017, 08:53

Another great (and often overlooked) resource is the Knights of Columbus. While most of the KofC's veteran outreach is focused on community service and relief, most local chapters are filled with men who have valuable personal experience dealing with the VA and are themselves members of the VFW, American Legion, etc. If your disability claim is causing financial hardship for you and your family they may be able to help.
Old 30 January 2017, 14:27
Swimming Upstream

As others have stated get with a VSO (DAV or VFW or American Legion) and file an appeal. My appeal after the initial rating took 2 years
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 30 January 2017, 19:28
Been There Done That

Appeal, appeal, appeal. Add all supporting documents you can muster & burn up your congressional representatives phone.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 February 2017, 18:29
Confirmed User

I haven't been to a VA in probably ten years. When I did my screening for my rating when I got out in 2006 there were some things that didn't get put into my rating. One of them I think has now become a problem and I would like to get it checked out. How do you go about getting something checked out again? I just called the local VA and due to my income I can't just come in because I haven't been seen in ten years. Thanks.
Old 23 February 2017, 22:12
Confirmed User

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I haven't been to a VA in probably ten years. When I did my screening for my rating when I got out in 2006 there were some things that didn't get put into my rating. One of them I think has now become a problem and I would like to get it checked out. How do you go about getting something checked out again? I just called the local VA and due to my income I can't just come in because I haven't been seen in ten years. Thanks.
Who told you that? You might have to wait a few days to see a DR. ( Go to the EMERGENCY ROOM, with your problem.) IF you are registered with the V.A. an have a disability rating you can be seen at the V.A. VA and due to my income, you might have a small co-pay PM me with some more details about what was told to you.

Last edited by wildman43; 23 February 2017 at 22:12. Reason: wording
Old 24 February 2017, 13:05
Confirmed User

I sent you a PM. Basically I enrolled when I got out in 2006, went in in 2008 for something non service related and got awesome treatment but haven't been back since because I had no reason to. I received a letter last year stating from VA that I had coverage through them for previous 12 months and did not receive a letter saying it was canceled. Called yesterday and because my rating is under 10% and my income is above their threshold I no longer qualify for services. The issue in question was something I was treated for while in service and I was surprised it didn't get put into my rating. But I was 21 and really didn't think about it.
Old 24 February 2017, 13:15
Been There Done That

Please take a look at this website http://vets.yuku.com has a lot of well informed people on it. If you were SOF I heard nothing but good things about this Non-Profit
Old 24 February 2017, 13:22
Confirmed User

Will do thanks
Old 24 February 2017, 14:10
Been There Done That

oasis group
Old 24 February 2017, 14:36
Confirmed User

Also to clarify I was not SOF.
Old 24 February 2017, 17:03
Been There Done That

FYI

Any surgical procedure done by the VA on a service related injury/illness can be compensated with a temporary 100% rating. Time determined by the Dr and seriousness of the condition & expected recovery time.

Old 26 February 2017, 10:30
Moving Target

I have done well with a lawyer, jandils.com. I fought the VA for years with VSO and never won a claim. I dont mind giving the lawyer 20% of my back pay check, no sweat, she earns it.
Old 26 February 2017, 23:53
Been There Done That

It's a fucking shame though that a veteran has to lawyer up to get what they deserve.

Old 2 March 2017, 00:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
It's a fucking shame though that a veteran has to lawyer up to get what they deserve.
Just to put it in perspective, today I just paid out of my pocket for an ultrasound to have a lump on my nut checked again for cancer (first time was while active duty) because it had grown and another one decide to hangout on the other one. Come to find out when I put in my claim years ago the doctor who screened me for the VA said there was no mass present despite the fact the Naval doctor found it and the ultrasound I got on Pendleton found it. But due to my income now I was told I wasn't eligible to see the VA.
Not to mention the trying to get the VA to give me a letter stating they were cancelling my coverage so I can buy my own healthcare outside of the open enrollment period.
Old 6 March 2017, 20:11
Authorized Personnel

Not all VSO are created equal. Some are just there to file your paperwork and do not care one way or the other. Some do care and will bend over backwards to help the vet. Do your research on who you trust to answers Your questions and submit your paperwork.

Since surgery was brought up... Painful scars can be rated also.

Use a Buddy statement to cover anything you may have lost. Make sure it covers your MOS and spell it out. " I were InfNtry. I broke shit for x amount of years. Now my knees don't worked to good"* If you were an jumper, spell it also especially if you have a bad back and knees. I mean get specific 1) I have this many jumps, 2) this many were mass tactical with full combat equipment weight approx this many lbs. if you went to John Wayne school for wayward boys, make sure that shit is in there also if you have any dietary/muscle/joint problems... send it in, it will be evaluated.

* before you hoohas get your panties in a bunch, I was Army Infantry for 18 years and I am just poking fun at us.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 28 July 2017, 00:41

Quote:
File a claim. you can do it on ebenifits by filling out the 526EZ form. Since it has been so long you have to be able to show some complaint in your in service medical records, and or a statement in how the injury/event occured with supporting documentation showing a chronic illness or a diagnosis of one year from the date of your discharge.
Old 28 July 2017, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Not all VSO are created equal. Some are just there to file your paperwork and do not care one way or the other. Some do care and will bend over backwards to help the vet. Do your research on who you trust to answers Your questions and submit your paperwork.

Since surgery was brought up... Painful scars can be rated also.

Use a Buddy statement to cover anything you may have lost. Make sure it covers your MOS and spell it out. " I were InfNtry. I broke shit for x amount of years. Now my knees don't worked to good"* If you were an jumper, spell it also especially if you have a bad back and knees. I mean get specific 1) I have this many jumps, 2) this many were mass tactical with full combat equipment weight approx this many lbs. if you went to John Wayne school for wayward boys, make sure that shit is in there also if you have any dietary/muscle/joint problems... send it in, it will be evaluated.

* before you hoohas get your panties in a bunch, I was Army Infantry for 18 years and I am just poking fun at us.
Actually if a vet has their jump wings its justification enough for ankle, knees, and back service connection. I work for the VBA and research these claims. You are correct that some VSOs do not care.
Old 28 July 2017, 05:52
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Just to put it in perspective, today I just paid out of my pocket for an ultrasound to have a lump on my nut checked again for cancer (first time was while active duty) because it had grown and another one decide to hangout on the other one. Come to find out when I put in my claim years ago the doctor who screened me for the VA said there was no mass present despite the fact the Naval doctor found it and the ultrasound I got on Pendleton found it. But due to my income now I was told I wasn't eligible to see the VA.
Not to mention the trying to get the VA to give me a letter stating they were cancelling my coverage so I can buy my own healthcare outside of the open enrollment period.
This is an excellent reason for everyone who has filed with the VA to request a copy of their records from the VA through a FOIA request...this way you will see what their doctors stated, and it can help you target your appeal case a little more effectively.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

Our new posting rules