Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 15 March 2017, 06:18
FIDO

VA contact help

I'm looking for a VA contact. My friends niece (11 yo) is fighting a rare form of cancer. Her father is a Navy vet who skipped out on them, leaving the mom to fight for this little girl. Is there a way to get the VA to help this family? She is currently being treated at the Cleveland Clinic but the deductibles, co-pays and other costs are draining them fast.

There is a go fund me for anyone interested.

FuckCancer!!
Old 15 March 2017, 07:47
Been There Done That

I wish the VA could/would help this little girl but there's zero chance they will. The only thing I have ever seen that the VA will do for kids was to give compensation/health care services for Spina bifida. This was a Herbicide Exposure related disease that the Vet had to have Service in Vietnam.
Old 15 March 2017, 07:52
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
I wish the VA could/would help this little girl but there's zero chance they will. The only thing I have ever seen that the VA will do for kids was to give compensation/health care services for Spina bifida. This was a Herbicide Exposure related disease that the Vet had to have Service in Vietnam.
Understood. Thought it was worth checking. Appreciate the info.
Old 15 March 2017, 09:11
Ungood

Chapter 13 is what covers depends and family members. As Stopp700 intimated, there are not many options there.

https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/...its_chap13.asp
Old 15 March 2017, 14:31
<3>

Have them contact Norton Children's Hospital. It may require a move on their part, but Norton works specifically with those who can't afford care. They provide top notch care from what I know. I would have them first ask if they have to be a resident of Kentucky or Indiana first, then make their decision based on that. Hope this helps, link below, hospital info is in the main menu.

https://nortonchildrens.com/services/cancer/

Our new posting rules