Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 15 March 2017, 11:41
Genetically Deplorable

Need advice on C&P "diagnosis" issue

For many years as a medic working in sick calls and hospitals I have filled out Form 588's at least hundreds of times if not thousands. In what we called the SOAP box it says "3) Assessment (Diagnosis)". So when the clinic provider lists "S O A P", is the "A" for Assessment to be considered by C&P docs to be the same as a Diagnosis? We used to ask about this because many troops could get screwed in their rating because the word "Diagnosis" is not specifically written out. C&P decisions will often say "Yes, the veteran was injured on duty, but there was no Diagnosis".

My argument is the A in the acronym SOAP is actually the diagnosis based on the instructions in the SOAP box of Form 558.

Has anyone ever encountered this and argued the case that the SF 558 says A=Diagnosis and therefor the C&P evaluators should consider it so? Results? Am I reading this wrong or is the trying to split hairs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Form 558.jpg (30.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 15 March 2017, 14:01
Authorized Personnel

I can only speak on what I have encountered in training and the few records I have reviewed. In training, the assessment and diagnosis are treated the same. In the records I have reviewed I treat as the same. chances are the records cannot be read or the person reading them are being lazy. It should be treated the same across the VBA

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

Our new posting rules