Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 30 March 2017, 09:59
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
My tinnitus claim took a year and a half after my hearing test before being awarded 10%. The VA moves in slow and mysterious ways. Don't think that just because you got the test done that a decision is just around the corner.
Decisions come slow, but you get paid from the date of your application.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:02
Genetically Deplorable

Great point TFG. I just considered it a savings account, albeit without interest. S49K later I forgot all about the wait!
Old 30 March 2017, 12:01
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
My main advice would be to us a VA/VSO certified private agent rather than a VSO...

My experience is that many VSOs are more loyal to the VA then the Vet. Not all of them, but many. I would definitely stay away from VSO that works physically at the VA....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
There are no official VA/VSO certified private agent rather than a VSO. It is just someone that has a business to SCREW a Veteran out of there money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
I disagree...

Wildman you are wrong about Accredited agents. Not sure where your info comes from but the VA lists all Accredited Agents in a spreadsheet available online...
Quote:
I will agree with you as there some VSO that don't know what they are doing, DAV, VFW, American Legion an others have VSO, There are a few bad ones, I will agree with you. Also there are some that never got any training in the Job.

I will try an find that letter.
This site is used by many vets for assistance.

There's a disagreement here that needs to be hashed out.

What is the correct answer in regards to the VSO?

Just the facts, please.
Old 30 March 2017, 13:50
Confirmed User

Accredited Agency is possible through VA. Go here: https://www.va.gov/ogc/accreditation.asp for info. One can either apply as an agent or service organization.

When I worked for VA, the well-known VSOs all did a good job of advocating for disability claims. Some states also have Veterans Affairs offices and representatives that can help with disability claims. Louisiana has them and they function as agents for free.
Old 31 March 2017, 14:59
Moving Target

I recommend you get a lawyer when dealing with a VA claim regarding your service in Desert Storm. try jandils.com
Old 31 March 2017, 17:18
Confirmed User

I am waiting for a reply from the Department of the V.A. for the use of the words VA/VSO certified private agent
Old 31 March 2017, 18:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I recommend you get a lawyer when dealing with a VA claim regarding your service in Desert Storm. try jandils.com
Can a lawyer expedite the claim?

As most claims are pretty simple, I'd find a Service Officer that makes you feel good and explains what he is doing, before giving up a good chunk of change to an attorney.

There are Service Officers all over the place and they pretty much do the same things. Your county should have one, most of the Service organizations have them. They do not charge anything for their work, to include putting stamps on letters.

It's hard to rank any of them, as it's up to the individual to keep up with policies and trends within the VA system.

My last claim went slicker than snot.

Good luck.
Old 31 March 2017, 19:07
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
I am waiting for a reply from the Department of the V.A. for the use of the words VA/VSO certified private agent
Those were my terms. Me and several others have posted links which show you were wrong in your initial comments regarding my posting. FFS...now you're trying to pull fly shit out of pepper.
Old 31 March 2017, 21:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I can top that, they service connected my hearing loss in one ear, but not the other. Guess my left ear took a lot more leave or something. But let's not turn this into a VA bash.
Gsniper,
I will top that! Went to my VA C&P for my claim for high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus.
The VA Doc ragged on me. He said you were an "O". Officers carried side arms and as a right (dominant) shooter, I will grant that your right ear hearing loss is attributable to your service as you turned your right side towards your firearm as you fired. Me, "Doc, thank you. However, I was a prior enlisted man and if you will check my file, you have my DD214. I had an expert badge for both the M-14 as well as the M-16. My left ear was turned towards the muzzle as I was shooting my rifle".
Doc yielded and then agreed, but all was rated as 10%. It is such a frustrating mess, the VA tries to "say no".
v/r
fkl
Old 31 March 2017, 22:28

When I get my ratings, I'll let everyone here know what they said.
Old 1 April 2017, 07:47
Been There Done That

The most you can get for Tinnitus is 10% (total for both ears). Hearing loss is a bitch to get Service Connected for.
Old 1 April 2017, 09:31
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
The most you can get for Tinnitus is 10% (total for both ears). Hearing loss is a bitch to get Service Connected for.
I was lucky i was stand-by for a hazmat team for a few years and was required to have a OSHA physical each year. I had records showing high and low pitch hearing loss. Low pitch loss is the kicker.
Old 1 April 2017, 09:57
Verified SOF

I did a claim for hearing loss and Tinnitus. The process was relatively easy and it went through the first time with no delays, that is once I had taken the hearing exam. I even had the hearing exam done in South America. Surprisingly the VA had no issues with that either. From submission to award took about 10 months.

When I wrote up my claim I tried to be very specific to incidents that had occurred, especially where I had short term hearing loss.. like a 249 going full blast while moving across an OBJ and shit like that......

1. The veteran XXXXXXX served on active duty from XXXX to XXXX. While on active duty participated in combat operations……blah blah blah blah …. Spearhead assault…. Assault on the PDF headquarters and so on…
2. During such combat operations XXXXXX the veteran was exposed to loud gunfire and explosions… (gave some generic description of facts / exposure).
3. While conducting training exercises X happened.. this incident occurred in Jul 91 at the Kilo 22 range located on Ft. Benning Georgia.
4. After discharge the veteran went to the VA and was initially told he was ineligible for benefits and treatment…. And so on…
5. Veteran continues to suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus, however is functionally able to continue employment working through the disability..(and so forth)… must sleep with ambient noise to block on ringing and so forth…

Last edited by Purgatory; 1 April 2017 at 09:59. Reason: Spelling like a 3rd grader
Old 1 April 2017, 14:12
Swimming Upstream

Special Operations Veterans seeking assistance with their VA claim would do well to consider contacting OASIS Group. They are a Non Profit dedicated to assisting the SpecOps community with their VA claims. The organization was started by a retired SF NCO who was also a VA rating official. Most of their representatives are both SF vets and former employees of the VA. With their assistance I went from 20% to 100% after a 30 year career.

http://oasisgrp.org/
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 3 April 2017, 12:50
Moving Target

Quote:
I had claims with service officers from the DAV, VFW, the county, and amvets and I never won until I got jandils.com

My records were missing since the feds conficated them in 1991 because I was burned by Mustard Gas after a ammo dump was blown near Nasariya and exposed to Sarin from Khamisiya. I was told by two Army officers at the time that tested the air for Chemicals and they both told me I was being exposed to both of those chemical weapons. I was on a recon when we rode right through the plum that was left from the blown ammo dumps. I had blisters down my throat and all over me and I went blind for two weeks. I saw first hand how the Army quickly covered it up. I also had a plastic breathing tube down my throat for two weeks. I know how the commanders lied and denied the whole thing. The VA just continues the lies, so yes I recommend a lawyer.Im currently at 70% for Ptsd and migrains and hearing loss, they denied my claim for Gulf War illness.

Last edited by foxcolt13; 3 April 2017 at 13:04. Reason: added
Old 3 April 2017, 17:22
A lost ball in high weeds

You can file your VA claim yourself. Get an eBenefits account. Go to https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

If you can type on a computer, you can file your claim. The sooner you file the better. Any award is retroactive back to the date of first filing.

Make sure you appeal, in writing, any less than acceptable response by the VA. Do not miss deadlines to respond. If you decide to go with a VSO or other agent, stay on top of what they are doing.
Old 4 April 2017, 15:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
This site is used by many vets for assistance.

There's a disagreement here that needs to be hashed out.

What is the correct answer in regards to the VSO?

Just the facts, please.
This - would really like to know whether the private agent route is worth while.
Old 4 April 2017, 17:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
...they denied my claim for Gulf War illness.
If you've made a claim for Gulf War Illness - you will never prevail...

There is no rating code for "Gulf War illness", no way to assign a rating for it since it does not have a rating code.

The various UNDERLYING conditions MAY be disabilities - but must each be claimed and rated.

If your jandils.com folks have made a claim for you for "Gulf War illness" then you seriously need to seek different representation.
Old 5 April 2017, 07:27
Been There Done That

^^^^^^
Good info right there!
Old 5 April 2017, 08:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post

There is no rating code for "Gulf War illness", no way to assign a rating for it since it does not have a rating code.

The various UNDERLYING conditions MAY be disabilities - but must each be claimed and rated.
I run into this almost on a daily basis, not just for Gulf War illness but also for Agent Orange, radiation and chemical exposure. All these have a presumptive disease such as diabetes for Agent Orange. You cannot claim Agent Orange exposure, it has to be worded something like diabetes due to Agent Orange exposure. Gulf War also has a list of presumptive diseases(which I cannot recall off the top of me head). Do yourself a favor, when you file a claim for a disease that is a presumptive for gulf war, write a statement in support of your claim that mentions the dates and locations you served, what life was like prior to serving over in the shit hole, what life is like now that you have returned from said shithole and how the disease is effecting you. You can also have your spouse , family and friends write a similar statement.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

Our new posting rules