Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 3 April 2017, 14:35
Darwin Award Presenter

Resources for PTSD, and other issues

We are all aware of the national tragedy of veteran suicide in this country. As a healthcare professional and veteran I am always looking for ways to help. While the following initially seemed a bit silly to me (using an app on your phone) it may be a way to reach the younger generation of veterans who may be struggling with these issues.

PTSD coach: released in 2011, a joint project between the VA and DoD, that is widely acclaimed, and has won numerous awards. Includes a self assessment tool, educational materials about PTSD, treatment, and related conditions. Also includes immediate access to crisis resources, personal support contacts, or professional healthcare.

CBT-I coach: released 2013: For insomnia that often accompanies TBI, a collaborative effort between the Dept of Veteran Affairs National Center for PTSD (NCPTSD)for those having difficulty sleeping and are participating in cognitive behavioral therapy.

ACT coach: for depression released 2014 Supports individuals currently participating in the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).

Moving Forward: released in 2014, teaches problem solving skills and can be used in stand alone fashion or while participating in problem solving therapy.

If only one veteran can be helped by these, then it is all worthwhile.

Our new posting rules