Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 5 April 2017, 14:19
Boot For Life

Anyone have experience with VA inpatient treatment?

My best friend is going down an extremely dangerous path right now. Excessive drinking (everyday binge drinking until blacking out), drug use (not sure how much or what. Most likely painkillers, marijuana, and cocaine.), unemployed, and as of today his wife is at the police station filing a restraining order after he threatened to burn their house down and proceeded to leave on a 15 hour bender.

This has been an ongoing issue for him, and his previous employment as a bartender definitely has not helped him out. He's become extremely manipulative, lying to his wife and family about just about everything. Making threats of self harm and harm to others, however only when he is under the influence.

Needless to say he's finally crossed the line and the family is going to come down hard on him. One option that we collectively (his family, my wife and I) have decided to present to him is to fly him up here from Oklahoma to receive treatment at the Madison VA hospital. Talking to the staff at the VA hospital they said for him to get immediate treatment he would have to be admitted via the ER if we hope to get him into inpatient treatment, otherwise it is a one to two week wait to see a substance abuse consoleur. Based on his behaviors inpatient is probably the best option as he seems very unstable and will not respond well to his wife placing a restraining order on him. He also has TBI which he receives compensation for and more than likely PTSD.

Does anybody have experience dealing with VA inpatient for substance and/or neurological issues? This is a very time sensitive thing because he is one step away from making a decision that he cannot take back. He will be dead or incarcerated very soon if he does not get help. His wife has said she will not consider seeing him unless he spends at least a month sober/ in rehab, and honestly I don't understand why she has stayed as long as she has.

As much as I hate to say it the best place for him if he doesn't get treatment is in jail.
Old 5 April 2017, 20:31
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnklipsch View Post
My best friend is going down an extremely dangerous path right now. Excessive drinking (everyday binge drinking until blacking out), drug use (not sure how much or what. Most likely painkillers, marijuana, and cocaine.), unemployed, and as of today his wife is at the police station filing a restraining order after he threatened to burn their house down and proceeded to leave on a 15 hour bender.

This has been an ongoing issue for him, and his previous employment as a bartender definitely has not helped him out. He's become extremely manipulative, lying to his wife and family about just about everything. Making threats of self harm and harm to others, however only when he is under the influence.

Needless to say he's finally crossed the line and the family is going to come down hard on him. One option that we collectively (his family, my wife and I) have decided to present to him is to fly him up here from Oklahoma to receive treatment at the Madison VA hospital. Talking to the staff at the VA hospital they said for him to get immediate treatment he would have to be admitted via the ER if we hope to get him into inpatient treatment, otherwise it is a one to two week wait to see a substance abuse consoleur. Based on his behaviors inpatient is probably the best option as he seems very unstable and will not respond well to his wife placing a restraining order on him. He also has TBI which he receives compensation for and more than likely PTSD.

Does anybody have experience dealing with VA inpatient for substance and/or neurological issues? This is a very time sensitive thing because he is one step away from making a decision that he cannot take back. He will be dead or incarcerated very soon if he does not get help. His wife has said she will not consider seeing him unless he spends at least a month sober/ in rehab, and honestly I don't understand why she has stayed as long as she has.

As much as I hate to say it the best place for him if he doesn't get treatment is in jail.
I went to the inpatient program at the Salem Va, VA and it was a nice program.
Old 5 April 2017, 20:34
Moving Target

Quote:

I went to the inpatient program at the Salem Va, VA and it was a nice program. I will say that it will be useless unless he has his mind made up that he wants to quit.
Old 5 April 2017, 20:42
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I went to the inpatient program at the Salem Va, VA and it was a nice program. I will say that it will be useless unless he has his mind made up that he wants to quit.
Yeah that's a definite worry, but we're pretty much out of options at the moment. The restraining order has been filed so the police should be there soon to serve it. His mom is waiting him out as he is currently locked in the guest bedroom. Fucking dude's too proud for his own good.

Also, thanks for the reply.
Old 5 April 2017, 20:58
The Sagacious One

I would say something at this point is better than nothing. I kidnapped a Sr Commo guy twice out of his house and tied him up and took him to rehab. I picked him up 30 days later and let him run in for cigarrettes and he bought beer. I left him on the side of the road 15 mile from his house. My point is as Foxcolt says, if he isn't ready you're just putting cheap tape on a wet dog.
Old 5 April 2017, 21:09
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I would say something at this point is better than nothing. I kidnapped a Sr Commo guy twice out of his house and tied him up and took him to rehab. I picked him up 30 days later and let him run in for cigarrettes and he bought beer. I left him on the side of the road 15 mile from his house. My point is as Foxcolt says, if he isn't ready you're just putting cheap tape on a wet dog.
Understood. If I didn't live 12 hours away I'd be down there hogtying him as we speak. At this point even a couple days sober could save him from some seriously bad shit.
Old 5 April 2017, 21:29
The atomic zit

I don't know Dick from his hatband...

Is a 12 hr run worth your time? I am 13-15 hrs from where I grew up. There is one man I would make run for...
Old 5 April 2017, 22:08
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I don't know Dick from his hatband...

Is a 12 hr run worth your time? I am 13-15 hrs from where I grew up. There is one man I would make run for...
That's a very real possibility. But I need to get some sleep before attempting that drive.
Old 5 April 2017, 22:22
The atomic zit

Quote:
...get some sleep before making that drive.
Do that.
Old 5 April 2017, 22:47
Genetically Deplorable

Nad - I intern at several VA addiction programs including the #1 rated program in the VA system, the RRTP at St. Cloud, MN VA. I also went through it a few years ago to get off pain meds. Feel free to PM me.
Old 6 April 2017, 11:33
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Do that.
Thanks for the nudge. If he's going to tell me to fuck off he better at least have the decency to say it to my face.
Old 6 April 2017, 11:51
Genetically Deplorable

PM reply sent. The first thing he's going to need is to detox. Alcohol detox can be done in a few days but if he is having withdrawals from pain medication it will be a little longer. It is critical that he gets to detox as soon as possible.
Old 6 April 2017, 23:09
Authorized Personnel

So he is not willing to volunteer to go into treatment? Have fun with that. The only option that I know of is civilian law, look into the Baker and Marchman act. In theory, if willing, he can go into any major VA ER and get admitted. But they may ultimately discharge him and have him follow up for treatment somewhere else in a week or so. Also look into the VA CHOICE program. The VA will fund private facilities through this program to Detox him then send him to rehab for a month or two. Plus with the CHOICE program he can stay put saving you the trip possibly for nothing. Good Luck!
Old 6 April 2017, 23:53
Boot For Life

Everything so far has gone very well. He's willing to give it a shot. We'll see how this plays out.
Old 2 May 2017, 22:58
Moving Target

Quote:
Everything so far has gone very well. He's willing to give it a shot. We'll see how this plays out.
Im glad its working out, God will bless you for this. you may be saving his life.

Our new posting rules