Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 15 July 2017, 19:29
Confirmed User

New "Forever" GI Bill Expected to pass House in August...

Looks like a good deal for vets going forward. I really wish I could be grandfathered into it.

https://www.stripes.com/news/veteran...3#.WWqk0elLfIVhttps://www.stripes.com/news/veteran...3#.WWqk0elLfIV
Old 15 July 2017, 20:27
Calix Meus Inebrians

This part confused me...
"Now, lawmakers are instead proposing a decrease to veterans’ living stipends to fall in line with active-duty servicemembers’ basic housing allowance. The change would not apply to people currently using the GI Bill."
When I was going to college from 2014-2016, I was getting the same as an E-5 with dependents would get in the schools zip code. Unless they're talking about changing it from the with dependents rate to w/o dependents, it's already in line with active duty BAH.
Old 15 July 2017, 21:40
Midgetologist

Like to get the $1200 back that I wasted on the MGIB damn scam.
Old 15 July 2017, 22:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
No Shit, put me on that list!
Old 16 July 2017, 00:39
Authorized Personnel

There's supposed to be a way to get the $1,200 back, but from my understanding, you have to use ALL of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits in order to qualify for the refund.
Old 16 July 2017, 04:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Well, I would not say it is a scam. The new GI Bill is outstanding and makes me envious and wish I could have had it.

But, I did put in $1200 and got back something like $18,000 with the MGIB. Which I used all of it. So a good return. But, it pales on comparison to getting 100% tuition at a public university and a living allowance each month!

When I meet veterans who qualify for the above, and do not yet have a BS/BA degree, I ask, "Why are you not doing this?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 July 2017, 10:54
Been There Done That

I have 15 months and a few days left after just completing a Masters of Healthcare Administration at George Washington University. The GI Bill didn't cover all costs but the school is with the yellow ribbon program and wiped out the remainder of the debt. Last tabulation is that was 85k in free school and I have just over a year remaining in benefits. Also did the 1200 to mgib before but with this much free I cannot complain.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:04
Authorized Personnel

I retired about a year before they made it possible to transfer your GI bill to your wife/kids. It cost me a buttload of money.
Old 16 July 2017, 14:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj the pj View Post
I have 15 months and a few days left after just completing a Masters of Healthcare Administration at George Washington University. The GI Bill didn't cover all costs but the school is with the yellow ribbon program and wiped out the remainder of the debt. Last tabulation is that was 85k in free school and I have just over a year remaining in benefits. Also did the 1200 to mgib before but with this much free I cannot complain.
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I retired about a year before they made it possible to transfer your GI bill to your wife/kids. It cost me a buttload of money.
+2.
Old 16 July 2017, 16:51
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

From the article: "...we’re going to enhance one of the best programs that has ever come out of this Congress."

You're Damn Skippy.
Old 16 July 2017, 17:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
From the article: "...we’re going to fuck up one of the best programs that has ever come out of this Congress."

You're Damn Skippy.
I fixed it for you.
Old 22 July 2017, 02:43
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
I sort of got it back. I enlisted with the "kicker" and was able to get an extra bit on top of my housing stipend. Someone on SOCNET helped me realize that if memory serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
But, it pales on comparison to getting 100% tuition at a public university and a living allowance each month!

When I meet veterans who qualify for the above, and do not yet have a BS/BA degree, I ask, "Why are you not doing this?"
I used the Post 9/11 GI Bill to knock out a degree in three years and it was amazing. It is an amazing benefit that lets a veteran earn a BS/BA degree without going into significant debt or having to work part time jobs around the clock to the detriment of their studies. I'll be thankful for having had the opportunity as it's helped set me up for where I'm at in life now, working at a great job well above where I thought I would be at this point.
Old 22 July 2017, 03:34
Confirmed User

I used the MGIB to get my 4 year. I did the kicker. Awesome stuff.

And since I also qualified for the post 9/11 GIB I still have roughly 2 years of that program waiting for me. AND since I'm from the awesome state of Texas, my Hazelwood Act gives me free tuition for in state schools for......95 credits (I believe?). PLUS you can double-dip if you so choose, which would get you free credits....So the tuition payments from the federal gov would be refunded to your bank account.

There are some phenomenal ways to take advantage of the benefits us dumb cavemen have earned for the service. Crazy amazing.
Old 22 July 2017, 05:51
Been There Done That

What amazes me is the number of veterans I meet, and those serving the National Guard currently, who do not have any civilian trade school, AA or BS/BA degrees that can be going to school for free and yet do not take the opportunity. Instead choosing to work barely above minimum wage manual labor jobs in retail or low level factory. For example, had a 23 year old National Guard soldier come to my martial arts school, for a short time. Single, no kids. Works 2nd shift, for a temp agency, at a really shit factory job making around $11 an hour. MP in the NG. Why are you not going to the local community college for free and getting technical AA degree? Or getting into our local first class university and working on a BS/BA degree. If you are in the Indiana NG, free tuition at any state school. Plus they even give you a small living stipend. But, no they want that factory pay so they can buy another Glock, their decked out AR, and get that "Monster" red-neck truck. Sigh.

Old 22 July 2017, 10:20
Confirmed User

I too was intimidated of college at first but decided to take a stab at it. I'm no scholar but I graduated and will eventually move on to nursing or something. There's a lot of guys who can't picture themselves as students or professionals. There's still a ton of excellent high paying vocational jobs out there that just require a couple years of training. It's a shame not many take advantage.
Old 22 July 2017, 10:26
Been There Done That

^HVAC is a hot field right now.

Old 22 July 2017, 10:42
Been There Done That

I was on VEAP. I hate all of you.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 22 July 2017, 15:40
Confirmed User

"HVAC is a hot field right now"

I'm helping/working for a guy to make some cash until I find a new job. He does very well as a one man shop - low overhead so he is able to under bid the bigger named companys - he only does residential and we are pretty much slammed up with jobs for the next two weeks. Summer in FL is when he makes his hay.
Old 22 July 2017, 16:02
Been There Done That

Have a friend that does HVAC. Father and Son business. They do residential and smaller businesses. They are so booked up they have to turn down work and he complains about too many hours working. He actually cut back on the hours, as was making enough and needed more family time vs more money. They need to hire an additional person, but cannot find any qualified people.

Old 22 July 2017, 16:47
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
But, no they want that factory pay so they can buy another Glock, their decked out AR, and get that "Monster" red-neck truck. Sigh.
Priorities man.

Our new posting rules