Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 22 July 2017, 17:54
#AllLionsMatter

Thumbs up Trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^HVAC is a hot field right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
"HVAC is a hot field right now"

I'm helping/working for a guy to make some cash until I find a new job. He does very well as a one man shop - low overhead so he is able to under bid the bigger named companys - he only does residential and we are pretty much slammed up with jobs for the next two weeks. Summer in FL is when he makes his hay.
Quote:
Have a friend that does HVAC. Father and Son business. They do residential and smaller businesses. They are so booked up they have to turn down work and he complains about too many hours working. He actually cut back on the hours, as was making enough and needed more family time vs more money. They need to hire an additional person, but cannot find any qualified people.
HVAC, plumbers, electricians, mechanics and etc. are in short supply since the time when everyone was saying go to college and get a degree. I know of grown-ass "highly-educated" men that can't even change a tire!

The great American outsourcing trend:
  • Can't jump a car - call AAA
  • Can't change a light switch - call an electrician.
  • Got a simple ass leak - call a plumber.
  • Damn door doesn't close flush - call a carpenter.
  • Ass itch - go to the emergency room.
  • Too hot outside - don't even leave the AC until its dark.
  • Playstaion don't work - get an Xbox.
  • The Internet doesn't work - fuck reading a book and/or newspaper.
  • Cell phone doesn't work - attack your parent.
I grew-up with cockroaches at one time so, I will call an exterminator.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 22 July 2017, 18:16
Conformed User

Quote:
^HVAC is a hot field right now.
It is. I own a HVAC company. We can't hire quick enough. There's going to be a 18% deficit in workers over the next 3 years.

If anyone goes that route, feel free to hit me up. I can give you my lessons learned so you don't have to.
Old 22 July 2017, 18:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I was on VEAP. I hate all of you.
This.
Old 22 July 2017, 20:16
Confirmed User

I 3rd that HVAC, before I joined I worked for an AF vet doing home improvements. He had a friend, Navy vet who owned an HVAC co. worked his way up by himself using GI BIll to like 20+ employees, handed it down to his son at some point. Millionaire
Old 23 July 2017, 11:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
What amazes me is the number of veterans I meet, and those serving the National Guard currently, who do not have any civilian trade school, AA or BS/BA degrees that can be going to school for free and yet do not take the opportunity. Instead choosing to work barely above minimum wage manual labor jobs in retail or low level factory. For example, had a 23 year old National Guard soldier come to my martial arts school, for a short time. Single, no kids. Works 2nd shift, for a temp agency, at a really shit factory job making around $11 an hour. MP in the NG. Why are you not going to the local community college for free and getting technical AA degree? Or getting into our local first class university and working on a BS/BA degree. If you are in the Indiana NG, free tuition at any state school. Plus they even give you a small living stipend. But, no they want that factory pay so they can buy another Glock, their decked out AR, and get that "Monster" red-neck truck. Sigh.
When I lived back that way I had a young dude former 82nd working with me. The company paid 100% of tuition, didn't matter what the class was and they paid it up front via a voucher, as long as the grade was a D or above you didn't have to pay them back for the class.

It took me 2 yrs to convince this dude to take classes, he MADE money off of it since the company was paying for the classes and the Army was paying too.

Kid wasn't too bright though.

He started there as a temp, I vetted him through here that he had actually went to Ranger school, so I made sure he got hired in as a regular employee.

A month later since he was still IRR he gets called up to go to Iraq (he had already been to Afg with the 82nd) as filler for some NG unit.

The awesome thing was that the company pays 100% of your pay and benefits for people called to active duty. Its just like your coming into work every day, your paycheck is deposited like clockwork every 2 weeks.

His wife spent EVERY fucking dime of his Army paycheck and the civi job paycheck, his car was repo'd a week after he got back.

Guys from work said they'd see her at the club buying drinks and leaving with dudes every weekend.

He actually stayed with the bitch
Old 23 July 2017, 11:58
Authorized Personnel

I went through a Tool & Die apprenticeship. They pretty much don't exist unless it's being done by larger corporations. We have a huge shortage in the south due to all the automotive plants.

I was able to work my way over to the engineering field and then to sales. Every plant I call on asks me if I'd go to work for them.

I'd recommend anyone to that field. Tool & Die makers are the highest paid hourly positions in the plant. Engineers and managers in larger automotive companies are making 85,000 to 120,000.

Maas
Old 23 July 2017, 17:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
Looks like a good deal for vets going forward. I really wish I could be grandfathered into it......
You and me both.
Old 24 July 2017, 11:24
Been There Done That

Rather than "fixing it" again, for yet another group of veterans, I would be happy to see those morons just acknowledge reality for one second.

A significant amount of veterans attend school online. Yet neither the traditional nor the post 9/11, nor this newest GI Bill to End all GI Bills is addressing that in a meaningful way.So again they're forcing people to go to brick and mortar schools to get BAH, because apparently, you can live for next to nothing if you go to a school online.

How about actually setting a pathway for veterans to move to coding camps and tech related fields? Considering that those vocational training schools are going to be the new blue collar jobs on both coasts, it's unimaginably short-sighted to yet again fail to consider them.

It's fucking 2017. We are transitioning away from physical structures to get anything done but these geniuses are yet again going full potato for brick and mortar. Nice work.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 24 July 2017, 11:34
Been There Done That

Excellent post MixedLoad.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 24 July 2017, 14:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
lolol.. I came in when Carter was POTUS, I got jack and you know what...
Old 24 July 2017, 14:49
Confirmed User

I was able to transfer to the post 9/11 GI Bill and now looking to go back and finish my Bachelors. Of course, I have a fulltime job so it will be hard to go 3/4 or full time to get the BHS. I'll have to figure out a way to maximize my benefit..
Old 2 August 2017, 18:32
The atomic zit

In my AO, we can not find Plumbers.

I call every number on the side of a truck with a roof rack and pipe. I hvbe called every plumber associated with the local HBA (Home Builders Association).

Next call to the County Community Colleges...

Guy is more correct than I would like.

There is a woman on my local nimby VBB who needs a satellite dish removed. OK fine, I can help, but her profile pic is with an apparent healthy human male.

I might to do it for shits and giggles... :D
Old 7 August 2017, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Like to get the $1200 back that I wasted on the MGIB damn scam.
You can get this back. Once you have exhausted all of the post 9/11 and I mean down to the last day. You can apply to get that money back but every day has to be used on your 9/11
Old 7 August 2017, 08:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetadvocate View Post
You can get this back. Once you have exhausted all of the post 9/11 and I mean down to the last day. You can apply to get that money back but every day has to be used on your 9/11
Really? Once you use the full benefit, you can ask for your pay-in to be reimbursed?

OK, Found it... I may have to read this a few time to make sense...I don't really get the need for the receiving BAH...LINK

Quote:
Refund of the Montgomery GI Bill $1,200.00 buy-in for Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients?
Individuals who entered Active Duty after June 30, 1985 OR who served a combination of at least 2 years of Active Duty service and 4 years of Selected Reserve service after June 30, 1985 may qualify to receive a refund of the $1,200 deduction for the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).

Individuals must have made an irrevocable election to use Chapter 33 by relinquishing benefits under Chapter 30 and had entitlement remaining as of the date of relinquishment of Chapter 30.
Only individuals who actually made the contributions may receive the refund.
Individuals must be receiving a housing allowance at the time entitlement exhausts to receive the refund. The refund comes with the last housing payment.
Individuals receiving transferred benefits are not entitled to the Chapter 30 refund.
The amount of the refund will be equal to the number of months and days the individual had remaining under Chapter 30 divided by 36 months multiplied by $1200.

Note: The $600 buy-up is NOT refundable.

For example, if an individual has 20 months and 15 days of entitlement remaining under Chapter 30 prior to relinquishing the benefit in lieu of Chapter 33, then the individual would receive $683.33 as a refund. The calculation is (20.5 divided by 36, multiplied by $1200). We converted the days of entitlement remaining into a decimal by dividing the number of days remaining into 30 days.
Old 8 August 2017, 21:19
Been There Done That

If we transferred our benefits to a dependent(s), do we not get the $1200 back? Either when they exhaust the transferred benefits or otherwise?
Old 9 August 2017, 14:13
Confirmed User

I bought into CH 30 and used over half. I had 14 months and 8 days remaining when I elected for CH33 benefits for which I was approved.

That means I can continue using CH33 and, when I have exhausted the benefit, request a refund for the portion of the CH30 $1200 buy-in?
Old 9 August 2017, 14:22
Been There Done That

Quote:

Ditto. Whopping grand total of $8,100 educational benefit, paid out at the rate of $225 / month.

But, with the VEAP, ROTC pay of $100 / month for 10 months a year, and National Guard / Reserve pay of $125 / month, I was actually able to go to college full time, without ever having to work. I was mighty hungry at times, to the extent of crossing the highway over to the VA grounds and boosting a goose who wasn't roosting comfortably on one particular occasion, but I made it.

BTW, the goose got cooked in my dorm room with a propane torch & canteen cup of water. Bit by bit. DAAAMN fine chow

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 10 August 2017, 11:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
This part confused me...
"Now, lawmakers are instead proposing a decrease to veterans’ living stipends to fall in line with active-duty servicemembers’ basic housing allowance. The change would not apply to people currently using the GI Bill."
I think it needs to be read in context with the previous paragraph:

Quote:
After it caused dissension between veterans organizations in April, advocates dropped an idea to pay for the bill by deducting $100 per month for two years from new enlistees’ pay. Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America blasted the idea at the time as a “tax on troops.”

Now, lawmakers are instead proposing a decrease to veterans’ living stipends to fall in line with active-duty servicemembers’ basic housing allowance. The change would not apply to people currently using the GI Bill.
It seems to read that it will reduce the stipend for those that will start using the benefit after the bill takes effect.

Our new posting rules