Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 1 November 2005, 12:29

Jared Chandler sighting?

Can anyone confirm that Jared Chandler has an office on the set of "The E-Ring" /Hollywood/LA? I just hear the rumor- thought he was exiled to Australia or some such... And whatever happenned to Steve Goyen? Is he in prison?
Old 1 November 2005, 12:49
Ranger002
Visitor

Yes Chandler has an office on the E-ring set and yes Goyen is in prison. I have folks keeping an eye on him. However, He is friends with one of the producer/writers and he's keeping his mouth shut.

It goes along way to explain as to why the show is a POS. Also the DOD PAO has stated that they will not support any production which employs Chandler as aMilitary Tech Advisor. Hence Jared's new found humility. :D

Jared has every right to work however and he knows folks are keeping an eye on him (and some of those folks work for 3 letter agencies).

His history is amazing to be sure but in Hollywood it is who you know not what you know and as long as Jared keeps his mouth shut and does not do anything stupid he may survive.

William Hazen

Last edited by Ranger002; 1 November 2005 at 12:56.
Old 2 November 2005, 02:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerHazen
His history is amazing to be sure
William Hazen
Mr Hazen, I thought he had never been in the military?
Old 2 November 2005, 10:47
Ranger002
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom
Mr Hazen, I thought he had never been in the military?
Beyond two years of college ROTC and attending Airborne school he has not. I was told yesterday that there is still an ongoing investigation so I think it is only a matter of time.

William Hazen
Old 6 November 2005, 09:19
Been There Done That

Mr Chandler will need a bigger paycheck for his attorney fees...
Old 6 November 2005, 15:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

They covered Jared Chandler in one of the chapters of Operation Hollywood: How the Pentagon shapes and censors the movies.

The book itself is somewhat biased in the position of Pentagon "censorship" of movies that it involves itself with, but it has interesting info on some of the relationships that prevail in the business, including those involving Mr. Chandler.

BTW, pretty good chapter on the making of Heartbreak Ridge, which has been covered on another forum. It turns out each service has a lot of discretion as to the projects they're involved with.
Old 7 November 2005, 14:56
COL Quaritch is my CO

Whatever happened to SOTICgrad? Didnt he turn out to be using his -legitimate- Army creds to cover for Chandler?
Old 7 November 2005, 17:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
Whatever happened to SOTICgrad? Didnt he turn out to be using his -legitimate- Army creds to cover for Chandler?
He's in jail too; however, he could've plead out.
Old 7 November 2005, 19:01
Ranger002
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
He's in jail too; however, he could've plead out.
Ahhhh yes Mathew Anderson. What Tracy said and also responsible for Guy Jones first 3 a.m. phone call so very long ago. :)

His history is a sordid one from giving an entire SF Group a case of the ass when he tried to smuggle "liberated" Iraqi automatic weapons back from GW1 and forcing the entire Group to stand inspection (he got kicked out for that one)... To conducting an unauthorized training session at a LNG Facility in Long Beach with no safety plan and risking BBQ'ing the Port of Long Beach. He also tried to get me arrested for making terrorist threats on the internet in the midst of his investigation and when I went for my interview with the DA he called in and said he was in fear of his life and had an important mission he was mustering out for which was vital to the National Security of the United States so he could not make the interview....The Mission

As an 88m aka a truck driver in support of Robin Sage. :D

After I was done with the DA they volunteered to arrest him on behalf of the FBI if he showed up. LOL

He's out there somewhere hopefully having learned his lesson and not doing anything stupid. Though he did pop up a couple of years back... as an Honor Guard for my local SFA Chapter wearing way too much fruit salad... till I had a word with the Chapter President.

William Hazen

Last edited by Ranger002; 7 November 2005 at 19:05.
Old 7 November 2005, 21:33
#AllLionsMatter

Bill,

The only thing they didn't do was a strip search! I believe they booted him out before we got back, guys were pissed off!

Mat even had the audacity to show fake creds in an attempt sign out some Zodiacs, when they were filming The Generals Daughter or what ever that movie was.

Take care.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 8 November 2005, 08:42
Authorized Personnel

While not actual active duty, him and his boys did spend 1 or 2 weeks in Arkansas for a Cabanas exercise, was 94 IIRC. Huge FID/CST exercise where a whole bunch of LBG's from Colombia, Ven, Ecu and I think Peru got flown to the states, made into the "Brigada Simon Bolivar", complete with Colors and ect.

I was working Air Ops for SOCSOUTH, and because of my History Channel work, someone connected them to me. I remember talking to all of them about Clear and Present Danger and other movies they claimed to work on.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:17
Been There Done That

NBC E-ring Forum

Guys,

surprise...

I AM "Angie". I am thrilled you responded to my character! Keep watching the show! I really believe in it ,and that's not just because I was on it.
Ken(the exec.producer) really did spend 20 years in the CIA (everybody keeps misinforming the public-he was not pentagaon affiliated)and has been involved in countless special ops. Everybody who is critical should take a step back. On set, we have heard several of the real stories the shows are based on, and if anything? They tone it DOWN for TV. People are already skeptical about the reality...if you only knew...

Suffice it to say? The pilot ,at one point, was critiqued by some snippy N.Y. POST critic...who guffawed at the idea of S.E.A.L.s rescuing TWO extra people while trying to extract a compromised agent from China. She questioned how they got the Grandmother and baby to the sub with no scuba gear... It took everything I had not to send an editorial to her.
In real life? Let's just say the country was not China...and there were 11 people. The S.E.A.L.s got every one to the sub...
by compromising their position.

These are grass-roots guys, not Hollywood at all. Ben is amazing. He's exactly the echaracter he plays- elegant, moral, smart, funny, jocular, sexy, and a FAMILY MAN. He constantly talks about his wife and kids.
Dennis is excactly like his character-irreverant, smart, respected, talented, and eccentric as hell. He's wonderfully humble.
sBoth men are supremely talented and easy to work with. Both have families they adore and are LOYAL TO THEM. (very un-Hollywood).
So the critic should stuff it.
That's all from here. I'm on to the next show and rooting for my teammates like crazy..

Here's ken's official bio

KEN ROBINSON
Producer/Co-creator

Currently, Robinson is a co-creator, writer, and producer of "E-Ring," a Jerry Bruckheimer and Warner Bros. Television series based on his experience in Special Operations.

Ken Robinson served a 20-year career in U.S. Army Ranger, Special Forces, and clandestine special operations units, working with the Defense Intelligence Agency and the Central Intelligence Agency as a Non-Official Cover (NOC) operative.

Robinson's unique career included assignments in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Special Mission Units, as a commander and senior staff officer planning, and leading special operations forces is such places as Somalia, Sarajevo, Colombia, Haiti and Iraq.

After retirement, Robinson was a principal planner for the Interagency Terrorism Response and Awareness Program (ITRAP), working with senior top officials of the U.S. government.

Robinson is the Senior Terrorism and National Security Analyst for CNN, and has been a combat embedded reporter in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was honored with a First Place National Headliner Award for his reporting on the September 11 attack on America.

Last edited by johca; 14 November 2005 at 01:30.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:23
Ranger002
Visitor

Ohhhhh man....

William Hazen
Old 14 November 2005, 03:12
Going back

WARNING: Clicking on the first link in johca's post will cause brain tumors, hot flashes, and loss of intelligence.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 14 November 2005, 13:01
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

They need to jazz that show up a little.

Maybe bring in Dennis Hopper to play an Army Colonel or something.:D
Old 22 February 2017, 06:51
War on Christmas veteran

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I find myself in need of some info on Jared Chandler.

I have an old friend who is a moderately successful film maker... not famous, but makes a very comfortable living.
I'm going to be seeing him in a couple of weeks and I know he has an action film in the early stages of preproduction right now.

I just happened to watch another film he made two years ago and saw the name "Jared Chandler" in the credits as "Combat Tech Advisor."
I recognized the name and knew it was not in a good way... so I searched SOCNET and found a number of conversations about him.
Searching through the old threads, including this one, I found bits and pieces about false claims and references to lack of actual experience.

I do not yet know if my friend has a personal relationship with Chandler or if he was just a hired hand that my friend was not involved in picking.
But I would like to be able to bring it up in conversation when I see him so that my friend could make an informed decision about whether to hire him again.

So I turn to the wisdom of SOCNET and those in the know...
Does anyone know for sure the extent of his military experience and does anyone have any knowledge of false claims?

I know Ranger Hazen had said that Chandler had no AD experience aside from Airborne School through ROTC, but he isn't here for me to ask if that comment was literal or if he was just being dismissive to insult Chandler.

The SF board isn't my lane, but this is where this thread was and this is where I hope to find some answers.
Thank you gentlemen.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx

Last edited by Bravo Five Romeo; 22 February 2017 at 07:06.
Old 22 February 2017, 08:39
Been There Done That

*cough* I find myself potentially available for a consultancy...

Strange seeing Hazen being dredged up... he was a machinegunner in my old platoon in <2>, and was the one who introduced me to SOCNET, our having been linked up previously thanks to Peter Parker's old Ranger ListServer

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2017, 19:23
Been There Done That

B5R,

In my opinion, if I was involved in the entertainment business, I would steer clear of Jared Chandler in all respects.

With regards to his military experience, I strongly suggest your friend does a FOIA request for Mr. Chandler's DD-214 from the US Govt. Long story short, he doesn't have one. By Mr. Chandler's own admission, he never attended Army Basic Training, much less anything else. IIRC, he is a failed ROTC student from USC.

Added to that, he admitted being complicit in forging documents to buy Class III weapons from Hechler+Koch at a discounted USG rate. They (Chandler and Goyen) did this by creating a false military reserve unit in Hollywood, and storing them in a movie property warehouse they established. Because they purchased high-demand weapons at cost, they successfully underbid other movie property businesses. They also segued their plan into purchasing radios, NVGs, tools, etc at cost as well.

An LA County Sheriff's Deputy from the SEB was medically retired after Goyen and Chandler tried to train them in fast-roping. Because of their poor instruction and lack of certification, they created unnecessary casualties.

Then there was their use of explosives for breaching and 'realism' at a LNG terminal at the Port of Long Beach.

Because of all the federal regulations they broke, the FBI took over the investigation in the late 90's or early 2000's.

Bottom line: I don't believe that Mr. Chandler has the knowledge. skills or abilities to advise on military activities in any capacity. Period. Further more, in my opinion I don't think Mr. Chandler's personal ethics are good enough to serve in any capacity in the entertainment industry. Considering the current standards in Hollywood, he's worse than that... In my personal opinion.

I do remember Chandler actually coming here to SOCNET to explain his actions. That didn't work out the way he planned.
Old 22 February 2017, 19:36
Been There Done That

So basically, it sounds like this chandler guy is just another scumbag in hollyweird; He'll fit in PERFECT.
Old 22 February 2017, 20:00
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
your post
Thank you.
That was some very useful info.
While his methods for acquiring weapons and equipment may not deter some people from hiring him... it definitely says a lot about his character.

Safety and lawsuits are very serious concerns in the industry.
His lack of personal military experience and his improper instruction having caused injury will be serious red flags.

Thank you.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx

Our new posting rules