SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 26 February 2018, 18:37
Never to old to learn

IF I remember they are one the list that told the NRA Fuck You.
So screw them.
Old 1 March 2018, 18:47
Confirmed User

Here's the article

Nova is a potential top runner
Old 11 March 2018, 17:06
Drawing my cutlass

Another ranking article from Bezos's WaPo. Looks like Raleigh has climbed up in the ranking.

Link here.

Quote:
The Amazon finalists are already building tech
economies. Which are the best?

In the race to land Amazon.com's second headquarters and its 50,000 jobs, experts say that writing a big subsidy check to the company probably won't tip the scales.

Instead, what curries favor with Amazon and other tech firms are long-term commitments to education, innovation and livability. These steps come with an added bonus: They are likely to benefit their communities regardless of whether Amazon or another tech giant makes its home there.

All 20 finalists for HQ2, as Amazon calls it, have a common interest in university research, science education and accessible neighborhoods.

“These are not the most incentive-aggressive places in the country," said Joseph Parilla, a Brookings Institution fellow. "They are the places that have the best public and private assets in addition to education and innovation.”

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 March 2018, 21:50
Life is simple, not easy.

Las Vegas and Nevada are making a push. We'll see. 50K new jobs is pretty damn welcome here.

ETA: Never mind, I thought we were still in the running. We are not.
Old 12 March 2018, 08:52
Administrator

This is one contest I want to lose....LOL
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 March 2018, 09:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
This is one contest I want to lose....LOL
Yeah, me too...and a lot of people around here.
Old 12 March 2018, 17:08
Bitter old man.

I'm glad they ain't coming to New England we don't need anymore libtard snowflakes.
Old 13 March 2018, 20:02

Traffic in Raleigh Durham sucks now....
Old 13 March 2018, 20:17
Confirmed User

so this is a corporate office? not a warehouse?

Places with lotta PHDs and non-violence and non-diversity neighborhoods?? What about veterans with 10-20 years of military service? does that count to Bezos?

"All 20 finalists for HQ2, as Amazon calls it, have a common interest in university research, science education and accessible neighborhoods."
Old 13 March 2018, 21:24
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
Last time I was in Knoxville was for the World’s Fair in ‘82.

You travel this way often? If you do, you’ve seen the uptick in traffic, at least enough to make statement... :D
Old 13 March 2018, 22:44

I used to make the drive to Jacksonville to do job fairs a lot on base. That stretch of Interstate was always jacked up.
Old 13 March 2018, 23:01
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Rockville,

Amazon is one of the stronger military friendly hiring companies, specifically looking for enlisted at 10-20 years. They pay well, but expect high volume work schedules (nothing you will not have experienced coming fresh off active duty).

They also have one of the stronger skills training pipelines specifically targeting veteran hiring. FYI.

Yes the owner has different politics than most military folks.

Last edited by doitforjonny; 13 March 2018 at 23:20.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
Amazon is one of the stronger military friendly hiring companies, specifically looking for enlisted at 10-20 years. They pay well, but expect high volume work schedules (nothing you will not have experienced coming fresh off active duty).

They also have one of the stronger skills training pipelines specifically targeting veteran hiring. FYI.
Agree with the above.

The high volume work schedule is no joke though. I turned down a job with them because they asked me a question like "What do you think of 60-70 hour work weeks? We work hard and play hard!"

I said "well it's my assumption the salary offered reflects a 40 hour work week since that's standard so for 60-70 hours I'd expect 25-30% increase over the base salary. I also feel that people who can't get their work accomplished in a standard 40 hour work week either aren't working effectively, aren't managing their team correctly, their teams aren't sized correctly which shouldn't be a funding issue here -- or are just really hanging around for 60-70 hours because it's expected and they're afraid to go home."

I didn't get the position, naturally.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
Yes, yes it does.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Agree with the above.

The high volume work schedule is no joke though. I turned down a job with them because they asked me a question like "What do you think of 60-70 hour work weeks? We work hard and play hard!"

I said "well it's my assumption the salary offered reflects a 40 hour work week since that's standard so for 60-70 hours I'd expect 25-30% increase over the base salary. I also feel that people who can't get their work accomplished in a standard 40 hour work week either aren't working effectively, aren't managing their team correctly, their teams aren't sized correctly which shouldn't be a funding issue here -- or are just really hanging around for 60-70 hours because it's expected and they're afraid to go home."

I didn't get the position, naturally.
There is more to life than the corporate work world. One has to have a proper work-life balance. I was amazed, two years ago doing some audits for corporations in Chicago and D.C. last year at the number of people working 60-70 hours a week. Combined with 1-1.5 hour commutes each way every day. Then all they look forward to is their one week vacation a year on a cruise or trip to Vegas. Not the life I would want to live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:48
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Unless they have a lot more vacation time than most, what's the "playing hard" part? 60-70 hours/week doesn't leave much time for playing hard (especially since Amazon tends to be in high traffic areas with a lot of windshield time), unless they do "mandatory fun" during the work day.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:54
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Unless they have a lot more vacation time than most, what's the "playing hard" part? 60-70 hours/week doesn't leave much time for playing hard (especially since Amazon tends to be in high traffic areas with a lot of windshield time), unless they do "mandatory fun" during the work day.
That’s what I was thinking...
Old 14 March 2018, 09:56
Been There Done That

If it was like a large corporation I use to work for, Cargill, they expect your life to revolve all around the corporation. Their idea of fun was long corporate work related lunches, workshop retreats, etc. many could not understand people had life outside of work. Leaving work early, like at 5, was frowned upon even if all your tasks were completed. Like there was a contest of who could stay the latest, even if no real work to be done.

Gavin, found out you actually have much more time off in the military than you do in the corporate world at times. Places like Amazon and Apple and google and cargill praise their work environment- what they don't tell you is the reason they try to make such a nice work environment is they never want you to leave.

And I still don't understand why all you guys who were smart enough to do your 20 and have a pension are not fully retired living the good life like a king in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc instead of rushing out to get another dog eat dog corporate job with a long commute. For about $1,500 a month one can live a very comfortable life in place like Hoi An. Focus on art, literature , music, writing, part time teaching, volunteer, church, etc.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Last edited by leopardprey; 14 March 2018 at 10:02.
Old 14 March 2018, 10:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
For about $1,500 a month one can live a very comfortable life in place like Hoi An. Focus on art, literature , music, writing, part time teaching, volunteer, church, etc.
Be quiet you!

Keep talking like that and it will be $3000 a month by the time I get to retire and afford it!

Gavin - there's no "playing hard" at all, it's one of those dipshit phrases they use to try and cajole people into work. And like LP said, if there is any playing hard it's mandatory corporate fun, that you squeeze in on top of the 60-70 hours they already expect of you.

I had a guy whose idea of showing he was important was to be in before I got in and leave after I left. I had a talk with him, unofficially - why are you in so early and stay so late? We aren't that busy, go home, enjoy your family....I don't need to "see" you in the office, your work product is more than acceptable....so on so forth.

He finally got it.
Old 14 March 2018, 10:25
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
Yes the owner has different politics than most military folks.
A liberal progressive's politics are all-encompassing, and dictate every aspect of what they believe and (more importantly) what they tolerate or allow others to believe.

Our new posting rules