Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 17 March 2015, 23:38
Been There Done That

That was a terrible day in the BN. We had used the in YPG in the day and they went off to pick up the other team for a night infil and we heard over the net that one had crashed......

Rest in Peace Brothers you are always in our prayers.....
Old 18 March 2015, 06:38
Been There Done That

The year after I departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie62 View Post
I think in early 89 3/5 lost an entire Team in Arizona on an exercise. I don't remember if it was a JTF-6 mission, but I think it was a helicopter that went down. I was in 7th Grp at the time.
That happened the year after I departed 3/5th. Your post and the next two brought all the memories back.
Old 18 March 2015, 07:33
Been There Done That

I was on the commo committee with Larry Evans, he couldn't wait to get out of SWC...as all of us. That was his first mission when he got back to GP....

RIP Larry...

I wonder what they are going to do with all the Memorial trees behind GP HQ's now that they have moved to the new area??

Glad people brought it back up to remember....

Last edited by Glebo; 18 March 2015 at 07:35. Reason: spelling
Old 18 March 2015, 11:51
Confirmed User

Well, as the saying goes, as long as we remember them...

As for the trees, hopefully they're providing shade for some tired kid pulling detail there!
Old 28 March 2015, 07:10
The USA's Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie62 View Post
Found a blog on it;
CH-3E, 65-05692, "Pony12" stationed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base crashed 12 Mar 89 in a desolate desert region 20 miles Northwest of Tucson. The Air Force Reserve crew members lost in the accident were: Lt. Col. Lawrence M. Rolle, 41, of Phoenix, commander of the reserve squadron and co-pilot of the helicopter; Maj. Donald D. Thomas, 42, of Tempe, the pilot; Master Sgt. Malte Breitlow, 45, of Tucson, and Tech. Sgt. William E. Slaven, 37, also of Tucson.
The Army Special Forces Team aboard from the 3rd Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, N.C. were Capt. lvin L. Broussard, 30, of Sulphur, La.; Capt. Alan C. Brown, 32, West Plains, Mo.; Master Sgt. Roger D. Berryhill, 34, Pahokee, Fla.; Sgt. 1st Class Larry K. Evans, 30, Sparks, Nev.; Sgt. 1st Class George A. Wayne, 31, Whiteville, N.C.; Staff. Sgt. John W. Bigler II, 24, of Long Beach, Calif.; Staff Sgt. Kenneth W. Campbell, 26, Clinton, S.C.; Staff Sgt. Robert L. Griswold, Fayetteville, N.C.; Staff Sgt. Kevin R. Livengood, 29, San Antonio, Texas; Sgt. Larry D. Endress, 30, Clearwater, Fla.; and Sgt. Terry M. Hollway, 28, Los Angeles.

this is what is notable about these forums - This is the first I heard about Kevin Livengood being dead - I knew him from Oki

also in the previous post refernce the loss of a scuba team - you werent perhaps referencing Feb 81 are you??

(stray59 ??)

lost 4 off my team in that one Janecki / Broadwater / Estel / Hagan

Best memorial service at the jfk chapel ever
Old 7 April 2015, 02:13
My ERB's on SOCNET

I was on 571 2001-2003

Those fellas' names and pics were still up in the old buildings... I am sure they made the transition to the new location. 5th GRP was always good about that kinda thing as I recall.
Old 8 April 2015, 05:10
The Sagacious One

I was briefing Harley Davis on an op in The Sudan when they came to plant the trees. His secretary came in and told him and he looked at me and said, Ed, do you need anything from me? Im sure you guys will be fine, I gotta go make sure this doesn't get fucked up and ran out of his office. Rest Peacefully, Brothers.
Old 15 October 2017, 16:47

Thumbs up

Remember SOT very well. I still have my "High Shooter" Sniper Award (from Gen. Joe Lutz) from the pre-SOTIC SOT Sniper course (XM21 with Art2 scope) and two interations of CQB (with 1911's).
Old 16 October 2017, 15:45

"Nous" not "Nos".
Old 16 October 2017, 16:31
Old Scroll

Rattlerjake, welcome to SOCNET. Hope your stay here is long and productive.

Please take a moment and go over the the introduction thread and post your intro; it's what we do to get started on the boards.

Thanks

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 16 October 2017, 19:11
Been There Done That

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlerjake View Post
"Nous" not "Nos".
Well, based on the number of replies from guys from 3/5th - there are many here who know who Rattlerjake is.
Old 17 October 2017, 08:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Well, based on the number of replies from guys from 3/5th - there are many here who know who Rattlerjake is.
I believe I know who he is... "Jake the Snake"...between him and Nicewander...bunch 'o snake nuts...
Old 17 October 2017, 17:12
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
I believe I know who he is... "Jake the Snake"...between him and Nicewander...bunch 'o snake nuts...
I was a 19y/o "commo" support guy when 1SG Sample sent me out too support you WADI guys in Fort Huachuca.

Ended up driving that big green bus for the entire six (6) at night, picking you folks up at the various establishments that you guys were fond of.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 17 October 2017, 17:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
....Ended up driving that big green bus for the entire six (6) at night, picking you folks up at the various establishments that you guys were fond of.
Ah, we were the guys that came out of a 17 day survival FTX, got stood in formation and chewed out by the BC for misbehaving downtown and we were now restricted to Oro Grande for the rest of the deployment.

Take about a WTF moment. Took us a while to get the low down. With all the A Teams deployed to the field the Camp Toads when downtown and caused a bunch of trouble - and with all things Army the shotgun blast got fired at everything.

Oh, did I just mention a weapon being fired? Ah, yes, the 15-6 that included a bunch of the BN staff - while us A Teams were deployed.

Nothing but fun times at Oro Grande Range Camp.
Old 18 October 2017, 09:04
Been There Done That

I remember that "event"...a lot of shenanigans on that one...
Old 18 October 2017, 09:11
The Sagacious One

I could fill this server with Oro Grande Stories.....
Old 18 October 2017, 13:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I could fill this server with Oro Grande Stories.....
No Shit! When I left 545 for other things I never thought I see Oro Grande again...Wrong.
Old 18 October 2017, 14:38
Preparing to defend

What year did the Oro Grande incident happen? I seem to remember an incident similar around late 88 or 89.
Old 18 October 2017, 16:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
What year did the Oro Grande incident happen? I seem to remember an incident similar around late 88 or 89.
Which year? The one I was talking about was around 1985 +/-.

With the battalions spending close to 2 months there every year for most of the 80's it got real old. From Oro Grande Range Camp you could see the sky glow of El Paso & Ft Bliss way off over the horizon.

Tons of fun. /s
Old 18 October 2017, 19:07
Been There Done That

Ahh, Orafice Grande.

Reminds me of a time we got out of the desert, and Joe Garcia, (some other guy that got kicked out in Bright Star for stealing the Chaplains cigs). We went to the top of elephant mtn and proceeded to "imbibe" on a bottle of "teqillya" and Mescal. I think we rolled down that hill...can't remember...lol

Then CPT Bill Davis caught us outside the barracks trying to change out one of those blue gaz stoves....hey, we had the munchies. Gas was spewing everywhere....and Baker ( I just remembered) had a lit cig in his mouth....yeah "The Elf" was not so pleased...

Oh, and to try and stay on topic. I still have my ceramic Nous Defions coffee mug. My shirts are...ehh, shrunk and long gone..

Our new posting rules